Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rattle, remote diagnosis please...

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2008, 05:54 PM
screwdriver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rattle, remote diagnosis please...

Hi, I'm more often to be found in the biker section but I run or used to run a Legacy Estate GT Twin Turbo. Problem is that it suddenly started to make a very loud rattle, I am pretty au fait with engines and I am guessing either a very noisy big end failure or piston rattle. On the other hand it might be something has worked loose and is rattling in sypathy. I daren't drive the car any more (I already did 20 odd town miles to get home) so I can't say if there's a huge drop in performance.

Here are the symptoms:

At tickover a gentle but obvious rattle
Slight blip and the rattle suddenly becomes a VERY loud clacking
Loudness disappears when revs drop
Nothing horrible in the oil on the dipstick
I recently ran the car with a free flowing air filter (for 2 months, reset ECU)
Two weeks ago I put the standard air box back, forgot to reset ECU

So my question is, are these engines known for dropping the odd piston or big end? Not had the chance to have a look under the bonnet yet, what's the first thing to check before dropping the whole engine out?

Legacy GT Estate, 1994 vintage, 104 000 miles, always run on premium*

Screwdriver

*Hmm, just remembered I might literally just have filled it up with a tank of 95 unleaded. Bugger. It's an auto so it will always rev out. Would that point to a holed/shattered piston?

Last edited by screwdriver; 14 January 2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 14 January 2008, 06:20 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you might have "detted" a Piston,which in turn normally knocks out the big end on that cylinder.
Whip the spark plugs out and see if there is any alloy from the piston on the plugs and do a compression test while they are out.
If you have lost a big end,you will see it when you drain the oil out.
Either way it sounds terminal
Old 14 January 2008, 09:54 PM
screwdriver
Scooby Regular

Thanks Merlin, although I seem to remember the plugs are a right pain to get at so that might take some time. Is there any other quick and easy method to try and establish what's going on in there? It still runs though I guess I risk something actually going bang if I run it for too long.

Secondly, I reckon given enough time I could whip the engine out and get it on a bench. How much might I be looking at if it was a piston and single big end failure? Ballpark figure assuming I would do everything on the cheap. I just need to know if I'd be better off looking for a spare engine. I'm thinking if it's more than £500 then the engine is a write off.

Cheers

Screwd.
Old 14 January 2008, 10:10 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

If its a big end gone then your £500 limit is busted...... drain the oil and look for copper particles in the fluid,might indicate the bearings have picked up due to det,all speculation whats actually happened to be honest without further investigation,but these engines never seem to be cheap to repaire,might be a better option when its deff known that its fubar to pick up another engine to drop in.
Old 14 January 2008, 10:31 PM
screwdriver
Scooby Regular

Thanks, for that. I was kindof hoping someone might say "Oh yes, it's the number two tappet come loose; they all do that" but I guess I'm not that lucky. I'll be looking for a replacement motor then, the rest of the car is still pretty good.

Anyone know exactly which engine(s) will fit a GT?

Screwd.