Microstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Press item: Subaru plans 20% growth in 2008

Recently published by AM (an industry publication):

Subaru plans 20% growth in 2008
11 January 2008
Author: Alex Grant

Several Subaru dealers have fallen out with importer IM Group over poor sales of the Impreza and their 2008 sales targets with some claiming they are terminating the franchise, according to the news story in the January 11 issue of AM.

But Subaru says the target plans are crucial if it is to grow its market share by 20% in 2008, a proposed 8,000 sales. It has asked dealers to agree to a minimum target of 75 cars by the end of the year to retain their target related bonus.

Lawrence Good, managing director of Subaru UK, said the plans follow disappointing sales for 2006, totalling 5,800 units, hampered by run-outs on the Impreza, Legacy and Outback models, and particularly the lack of a diesel engine in the range.

The manufacturer is aiming for a busy 2008. In March, Subaru will begin sales of its diesel-powered Legacy and Outback models, followed by the new Forester in September and Impreza by the end of the year. Although there will only be one unit at first, a two litre boxer diesel with a manual gearbox, Good expects this to introduce new buyers to the brand.

“If you’ve only got a petrol derivative you’re only looking at 20% of the marketplace, and we’re looking for more,” he said. “It’s been a tough year without an alternative to petrol, but we’d be surprised if it’s not more like 40-60% growth with the diesel engine.

“The world for Subaru is changing dramatically. We’re not telling dealers to do or die, the targets are done by negotiation. The minimum for 2008 is 75 cars, if you’re not selling that many you don’t really have a sustainable business. But we’ve got dealers signing up for 250.”

Another indication of the changes is the sales focus for the new Impreza, its biggest selling vehicle, and a model traditionally driven by its high performance turbocharged derivatives. Aimed more at older and female buyers, the new model will be led by sales of the normally aspirated and, eventually, diesel sales. Subaru plans to sell 7,300 units per year by 2010.

But after the Impreza’s lukewarm reception from the press, dealers are reporting slow sales and the targets have met with opposition from some who question whether the new launches will bring the required sales growth. One dealer told AM: “Dealers can’t survive based on last year’s sales. Nobody is disagreeing that sales need to be at least 20% up, but the question is will there be adequate marketing and support?”

Good claimed the new products had been well received by the network, which has recently gained three new dealerships and has 40 prospects in waiting. An extensive marketing campaign is planned this year, including advertising in lifestyle magazines and the national press and radio.

Customers can also choose to have an LPG conversion carried out on any new vehicle, at no extra cost, to help lower running costs and provide a temporary solution to the lack of the more economic diesel. Early signs are that this has been well received by customers, and made the brand’s larger models more attractive. To help push sales of the run-out Legacy and Outback, dealers were offered extra stock of the Impreza WRX as an incentive to sell six or more of the slower selling models.

The changes come as Subaru restructures its dealer network to better meet the needs of its customer base. In October the network was split into three regions; North, Midlands and South, and the Subaru Dealer Reference Forum was disbanded. Good expects to have a more suitable regional replacement for the council up and running in March.

“2008 is not going to be an easy year for the industry, but it’s going to be good for Subaru,” he said. “We’ve got a fabulous product range for 2008, but we’re still a niche brand. We’ve got under 1% market share, and will continue to be a niche brand for people who want to buy into owning a Subaru.”
Old 14 January 2008, 11:43 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need a Re design of the new Impreza first me thinks
Old 14 January 2008, 11:48 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Deluded.......................or an optimist?

The diesel will sell. I'd buy one later on if it proves to be relable.
But why does the Legacy feel so much better built than the "new improved" Impreza?
Old 14 January 2008, 11:52 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

lOOks pretty hot:

Old 14 January 2008, 11:59 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
lOOks pretty hot:

More Luke warm Gaz. Just think what they could of designed, given the amount of money they had. I thought the Bugeye was bad when that first came out but the new model's got no soul
Old 14 January 2008, 12:10 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I here ya, but it's growing on me. The first drive will determine everything.

<Monseiur Hat is praying for PPP400>
Old 14 January 2008, 12:14 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

lOOks pretty hot:

I quite like it.

Mind you, having been designed by ex-SAAB guys its no surprise it looks like that.
Old 14 January 2008, 12:19 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

I here ya, but it's growing on me. The first drive will determine everything.

<Monseiur Hat is praying for PPP400>
Yeah good point M8. Still rather have a Hawkeye Spec C RA Mind
Old 14 January 2008, 12:22 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Yeah good point M8. Still rather have a Hawkeye Spec C RA Mind
Damn right!!

I still smile when i'm walking to my car, but i do think the blobeyes are lOOking dated.
Old 14 January 2008, 12:43 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

The free LPG conversion is a smart move - but this is the first time I've ever seen it mentioned which seems a shame, as I think it could grab quite a few sales.
Old 14 January 2008, 12:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Free LPG Conversion on my STi in March ....... sounds good to me!!
Old 14 January 2008, 01:59 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

the new sti is a nic looking car we cannot deny that. the reason so man of you are against itis because its so different. BUT in its own right it i a completely different ar from all previous imprezas. And we all know i knocks the **** off all previousones round a track inc evos old and new. I thik thene sti will have a good life and will be open to a new market as well.
Old 14 January 2008, 03:52 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

"Another indication of the changes is the sales focus for the new Impreza, its biggest selling vehicle, and a model traditionally driven by its high performance turbocharged derivatives. Aimed more at older and female buyers, the new model will be led by sales of the normally aspirated and, eventually, diesel sales. Subaru plans to sell 7,300 units per year by 2010."

That explains quite alot. It seems they aren't really too bothered by the WRX/STi any more.

I'm guessing that with the increase in restrictions on emissions and increase in road tax and fuel costs here in the UK they can see the popularity and affordability going down hill fast and so they have to change tack to a new market.

Anyone know how the prices of the normally aspirated versions compare to similar models of Ford/Vauxhall etc. etc. ?
Old 14 January 2008, 03:56 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

It's true, we're a dieing breed, what with tax/fuel prices/emissions etc.
Old 14 January 2008, 04:10 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

+20% debt growth
Old 14 January 2008, 04:17 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
[I]
I'm guessing that with the increase in restrictions on emissions and increase in road tax and fuel costs here in the UK they can see the popularity and affordability going down hill fast and so they have to change tack to a new market.

Anyone know how the prices of the normally aspirated versions compare to similar models of Ford/Vauxhall etc. etc. ?

Yes, its true that the high fuel consumption, emissions and now road tax on the turbo models will kill popularity. Who doubts that the £400 road tax will increase over the next few years?

The N/A versions appear to be good value compared to the competition. Another way forward is to offer a 2.5 litre N/A in a good state of tune. The purists won't like it, but it would give reasonably good performance with a lower Band F tax rating. Production costs wouldn't be any different to a 2.0 N/A.
Old 14 January 2008, 05:08 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

the new one is flopping big stylee, theres only gonna be a max 1000 sti's and the rest of the model isn't selling
Old 14 January 2008, 05:23 PM
barnettgs
Scooby Newbie

The sales were already down in 2006, 1 year before the new Impreza were introduced, giving the impression that it has to do with the road tax, high fuel cost.

The problem is made worse with the new Impreza's poor mpg and emission.

Subaru's potential buyers are already scared of what our government would bring to motorist in the near future. The cost of living is already very expensive and I'm not at all surprised that Subaru is being forced to bring out the diesel models this year.

I'm still waiting for Subaru to bring out petrol engines with improved mpg/emission.

I don't think it has to do with the designs but the old impreza has been based on the same plaform for nearly 15 years and I'm not at all surprised at the oppositions to the big change in design for Impreza but like many car manufacturers do, Subaru have moved on.
Old 14 January 2008, 05:52 PM
scooby_diver
Scooby Regular

I'd heard that 40% os UK sales was the Impreza WRX, so they've pretty much lost that with the "limited" supply and its rather unappealing looks.

Diesel will bring more sales but not until it's a proven engine