Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this STi II sound o.k.?

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2000, 12:00 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the replies chaps.. It is looking like the upgrade route is becoming the fave... just got a price on some PIAA driving lamps gotta be better than the candles I've got at the moment!
Old 27 December 2000, 10:26 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi,

I am possibly in the market for an STi II (either that or spend some money on mine).

Check out this post...http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/Forum1/HTML/008849.html

Anyway, the STi II has the following spec:
96 N Plate, Silver, 67k miles, serviced by scoobysport apparently, cat 1 alarm, £12995

But... my car has the following spec:
94 L, Silver, 64k miles, serviced by roger clarke, toad cat 1 + 24hr tracker, magnex exhaust, pioneer OEL headunit, P1 brakes.

I like the idea of the STi but I feel that it'll kinda be taking a step back, yes it's more powerful and newer but is of higher mileage and hasn't got as many goodies on it.

Plus... it is looking like I would have to throw in £4000 + my WRX to get it!

What do you guys think, any good or spend the cash on mine?

this is doing my head in!

Matt
Old 27 December 2000, 10:33 AM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Matt,

I'd spend the money on your car! I reckon that it's probably better for UK driving etc. You could use £4K to update the front end to Y2K spec and do lots of other little bits and pieces!

On the other hand, the STI2 is meant to be one of the stronger STI engines, and less likely to cause you mechanical ills.

If it was me, I'd stick with what I know.

Matt
Old 27 December 2000, 10:36 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

hmm, decisions decisions! I'm thinking of getting a Link ECU and stuff for mine but am a little concerned if the engine is strong enough...what do you think?
Old 27 December 2000, 11:42 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Matt,

Another possibility, is Bob Rawles STi2 that's up for sale.

I know that it comes with a link, and there are various other options available. I do know that he keeps it in a garage, and washes under the bonnet too

It would be worth mailing him to get some more details.

Mark.
Old 27 December 2000, 11:54 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Mattski,
Don't forget that your insurance will probably go up by a few quid as well for the STI. You would probably be better keeping yours and spending the 4k +insurance savings on goodies (or an engine rebuild / replacement if it bursts). If the currrent rate of P1 destruction continues, you could probably get an engine from a write off and still have enough change for a week on the track and a couple of days in the loving hands of your local tuner...

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 27 December 2000, 05:13 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Whatever you decide to do, for the spec of car you describe, the price sounds a bit high.

Given that my P reg MY96 wrx has less than 30k miles, 17 inch wheels, cat 1 and cat 2 and a link with full ss system and ss wing for £11k, I would say don't do it.

look around there are bargains to be had as the market has been slow recently.

I would say buy an Sti as the difference goes beyond mere upgrades. Obviously everything is interchangable, but would you consider buying the sti gear linkage to change the throw of the gear shift? Or aluminium suspension parts to reduce unsprung mass?

Most people wouldn't but the sum of all these things makes the sti worths its money over a modded wrx. try driving one then decide.

Saying that if you were junmping from a 'normal' car, then a cheaper wrx will more than satisfy any driver. Unfortunately, it is too late for you my friend.
Old 27 December 2000, 06:41 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Talking

hi,

thanks for all of the comments...

I have decided to stick to what I know and upgrade it, an STi of some description will be mine eventually but I don't want to have a half-way-house to an STi V5 (no disrespect to < v5 owners).

I know my current car and know what needs doing etc so I'm gonna stick with it and turn it into a beast.

And, it has started already, I currently have a set of PIAA driving lamps looking at me (how hard are they to fit btw?)

ta,
Matt