ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

subaru dealer with no stock.

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2007, 06:44 AM
zakster
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subaru dealer with no stock.

Visted my subaru main dealer in north yorks a few days ago as we wanted to check out the boot size and overall dimensions of the new hatch back impreza,not that we wanted to buy immediately we will probably wait for the sti or buy a forester sti at a later date.Anyway to my utter amazement he did not have 1 scoob in stock new or used,the owner of the franchise came over and introduced himself and began to explain why he had nothing,his words were financial suicide,no body wants the new impreza it's taken a bad beating by the press and with the price of fuel there is not a big demand for any kind of subaru.I was shocked by his statements he also added that subaru dealers are closing down left right and centre,it sounded like he might be on the way as well[he did have a different make dealershhip next door]It first I thought the obvious that when the time comes I will be able to bag a bargain so to speak but if main dealers are going to the wall ultimately I dont think this is going to be a positive thing for our mark.
Old 17 December 2007, 07:30 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

What not even an Outback or Forester??

Something doesn't sound right about this Dealership. I don't know where up North you are however, in rural areas Subarus sell well, to the farming Comunity, Horsey Brigade etc??

Regards.

Alan MaC
Old 17 December 2007, 08:56 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems a strange story ............................

Maybe the Dealer has no stock as he has switched brands, maybe he had a falling out with Subaru who wanted his showroom smartening up? And he was bitter?

A few truths in what he says though ........

1. It has taken a slating in the press

2. It will drink vast amounts of fuel

3. The Tax on it each year will climb to £1000 soon

4. There are now alternatives, just as good - maybe better even?

I personally think number 3 will kill it off ...... imagine the hit on the secondhand prices? Who could sell a car where the yearly tax is £1000?? NO-ONE!!

Buying a STi at £27k is a huge financial risk if you will ever want to sell it again. Keep it for 15 years and it doesn't matter - sell after 3 years and you will be taking an almighty big hit in the wallet.
Old 17 December 2007, 10:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

As usual, the old guy talks sense.

Alcazar
Old 17 December 2007, 10:22 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Indep[endant dealers have been dwindling for ages.

The ones run by I.M will carry on regardless though.....they have to
Old 17 December 2007, 11:14 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Yep Robert Bowetts in Leeds didn't last long either I heard they still have new cars they can't get rid of though thats probably because they cost more than the importers. I have seen new models parked outside the Subaru garage at Bramhope just outside Leeds though didn't notice if they were WRX's. Lets face it the Imprezza range is a nichel market product which I can't imagine many dealers could survive on alone. Perhaps if the cars were sold at import prices they might have a chance!

The reviews comparing the EVO X to Sti that I have seen all seem to favour the EVO though it is likely to cost more, so I guess we will just have to wait a bit longer.
Old 17 December 2007, 01:35 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

01 UK bugeye was a complete sales disaster that was massively turned around by the Prodrive styled 02 STi

IMHO They should have "stuck to their Guns" and not lanched the WRX in the UK. Better to have concentrated getting a few UK STi's lanched at same time as the JDM STi.

Tony
Old 17 December 2007, 02:31 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zakster
Visted my subaru main dealer in north yorks a few days ago as we wanted to check out the boot size and overall dimensions of the new hatch back impreza,not that we wanted to buy immediately we will probably wait for the sti or buy a forester sti at a later date.Anyway to my utter amazement he did not have 1 scoob in stock new or used,the owner of the franchise came over and introduced himself and began to explain why he had nothing,his words were financial suicide,no body wants the new impreza it's taken a bad beating by the press and with the price of fuel there is not a big demand for any kind of subaru.I was shocked by his statements he also added that subaru dealers are closing down left right and centre,it sounded like he might be on the way as well[he did have a different make dealershhip next door]It first I thought the obvious that when the time comes I will be able to bag a bargain so to speak but if main dealers are going to the wall ultimately I dont think this is going to be a positive thing for our mark.
what made you go in? Surely if they had no cars at all you'd see from the outside?
Old 17 December 2007, 02:42 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

Would that be S.G Petch?
Old 20 December 2007, 06:18 AM
zakster
Scooby Newbie

Hi,
The answers to some of the above questions, no the dealer had not one subaru of any kind in stock, the dealer is in Pickering north yorks and has been a subaru dealer for some years and had a decent reputation,for those peeps that dont know, Pickering is a market town of the north york moors area and yes farming and farmers are a way of life in this area,he reckoned they are all starting to desert the good old Forester for other makes.To respond to the question why did I go in if I couldn't see a subaru,I don't no about you but I dont usually visit a dealer and try to view all his stock from my car window,I always think it's best to get out of your car and have a wander round the forecourt and showroom.
Old 20 December 2007, 12:19 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also heard robinsons of rochdale will stop selling uk subaru's due to lack of demand.
Old 24 December 2007, 12:07 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Hi,
The answers to some of the above questions, no the dealer had not one subaru of any kind in stock, the dealer is in Pickering north yorks and has been a subaru dealer for some years and had a decent reputation,for those peeps that dont know, Pickering is a market town of the north york moors area and yes farming and farmers are a way of life in this area,he reckoned they are all starting to desert the good old Forester for other makes.To respond to the question why did I go in if I couldn't see a subaru,I don't no about you but I dont usually visit a dealer and try to view all his stock from my car window,I always think it's best to get out of your car and have a wander round the forecourt and showroom.
Many people think farmers are rich. The greater majority on small acreages are not and they watch the pennies like hawks.

Isuzu and Mitsubishi offer some cracking 4x4, crew cab, diesel pick-up deals no Subaru dealer could match and, coupled with the infamous and hideous fuel consumption, a Subaru is a non starter.
Old 24 December 2007, 12:21 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

A fair few dealerships closed down from 2006, the company I work for closed ties with nearly all of the UK based Subaru dealerships, only have the main ones in Australia due to the popularity over there (they are as popular as fords/vauxs over here).

The rural ones tend to sell other brands as well so they get their share of business but I think it could be a sign of the times, oh well lets see what 2008 brings, I think eventually the new STi could sell well, even if it's to a completely different market this time.
Old 24 December 2007, 02:38 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

we don't keep stock yet are selling more than some proper dealers who do, we have even sold 3 of the new justys!
i wouldn't want to work for a stocking dealer as i.m insist on them having to hold x amount of stock and they simply can't afford it. i think next year will see a few more dealers throw the towel in as it's getting to expensive to run a dealership now
Old 24 December 2007, 03:15 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juggers
I also heard robinsons of rochdale will stop selling uk subaru's due to lack of demand.
Crikey - that is (was) my local dealer - last Subaru I bought in 05 came from Alliance Import - ( a bit up the road in Accrington), as Robinsons could not match the euro import price.

I'm jumping ship in Jan with the delivery of an Audi - agree with PS Lewis - I can see the £1000 road tax per year comming as well - hence the swap !
Richard

Last edited by richs2891; 24 December 2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 24 December 2007, 03:55 PM
Eddie1980
Scooby Regular

£1000 tax :-S

At what point does it become cheaper to not tax or insure your car and get some trade plates?
Old 24 December 2007, 04:02 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

I heard Montys of Sheffield want out ?
Old 24 December 2007, 04:21 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eddie1980
£1000 tax :-S

At what point does it become cheaper to not tax or insure your car and get some trade plates?
Already at that point - pretty sure the fine for not having tax / insurance is less then buying them - hence the no that dont - Just watch the Road wars or the like and see the "fine" they get in the end !

Richard
Old 24 December 2007, 04:30 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Hi,
That`d be Chapmans then.

Have you tried Brecks in York, they`ve just taken on the franchise?

If you would like anymore details, please ask. I don`t work there btw
Old 24 December 2007, 05:51 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Anyone notice that the Subaru Legacy Outback, twinned with the Mondeo won car of the year on Top Gear again last night.
Old 24 December 2007, 08:47 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Certainly not like the old days when the classic had up to a 6 month waiting list [very much to do with import quota i know] but i wonder what a dealer would prefer having cars they cannot sell and someone down the road undercutting them big time or firm orders for a few cars at list so you knew you'd still be around in 6 months time . Lets face it the quotas being lifted did subaru no favours or the residuals and Subaru were never going to be a volume seller in the UK like other makes .
Old 24 December 2007, 09:16 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

In 1997 Jordan's in Hull had a one year waiting list for turbo saloons....

Use to swap 'em for estates to send to Chapmans in Pickering...

DunxC
Old 24 December 2007, 09:57 PM
beal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazza-uk
I heard Montys of Sheffield want out ?
yes mate,some time in feb
Old 24 December 2007, 10:16 PM
p1prodrive
Scooby Regular

this is all very sad
Old 05 January 2008, 10:22 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

If you actually chat to matthew you will find that it's not due to lack of demand at all just differances between him and Subaru (changing the goal post's springs to mind Subaru!), If you check on Subaru.co.uk there is a new dealer in Rochdale and apparantly they used do a good kebab as well!

Any way Robinsons will still be selling new SCOOBYS and will have the new STi in the next few week's you heard it here first!

Mathew and crew, you have one loyal customer here in me!

Simpsons!

Last edited by simpsons !; 05 January 2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08 January 2008, 12:25 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

I have a bit of involvement with the motor trade and was chatting to a Subaru franchise holder recently ("somewhere in the Midlands"). He said he's had a bad 2007 and 2008 is looking very grim. High fuel prices and Band G road tax on turbo Imprezas mean that demand is almost non-existant. The few that do want one can get a same-spec EU-import for less. IM are only bringing in 500 of the new WRX's anyway. He got a couple of low-mileage used Hawkeyes on the plot, but no punters looking at them...
Credit is becoming difficult to get and high interest rates are being quoted to anyone other than those with a perfect credit record (that's only about 20% of customers).
He's pinning his hopes on the coming Diesel models - but it does look very bad....

Incidentally, those of you that have any dealings with the retail motor trade might recall that Subaru came bottom in the last NFDA dealer survey - below even Chrysler. Subaru dealers certainly aren't a happy bunch.
Old 08 January 2008, 12:44 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beal
yes mate,some time in feb
where did info come from phil,have you been on the coolant again petal

marcus
Old 08 January 2008, 01:42 PM
mrgreedy
Scooby Regular

I noticed this week that my local dealer had virtually no Subarus at all. I thought it was really strange. This time last year the showroom was full of them.
Old 08 January 2008, 04:10 PM
beal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
where did info come from phil,have you been on the coolant again petal

marcus
Paul told me i think.....its defo anyway!!
Old 08 January 2008, 06:51 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

F**k a duck buddy

im not having that,group buy on subaru dealership anyone

marcus

Quick Reply: subaru dealer with no stock.