Winter or all-weather tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2007, 06:26 PM
Doverdave
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter or all-weather tyres?

Hi,

I have a Legacy 2.5 Sport Tourer which I bought with 40,000 miles on the clock. It's fitted with 215/45 17 Sumitomo HTRZ 2 tyres (not OE I imagine) but I want to change them because I spend quite a bit of time each winter in the Alps. I'm fairly sure the Sumis won't be very good in ice and snow, but has anyone got any suggestions as to whether I should go for an outright winter tyre (which would mean changing them 2 or 3 times a year - a pain) or an all weather tyre (more convenient!)? Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Doverdave
Old 29 November 2007, 06:57 PM
nooobyscooby
Scooby Regular

However inconvenient, go for Winter tyres - they have more silicone in the mix and are therefore more flexible in the cold and are very different in their performance to a Mud and Snow tyres. I believe these are a legal requirement in certain parts of mountainous Europe as are snow chains in some areas.

In Europe, many motorists have a spare set of wheels for their Winter tyres and these are narrower to be able to cut through the snow - wide tyres get snow build up in front of them.

Please don't skimp on these - your life might be worthless[!], but think of family, friends . . . and other motorists.

There have been some other recent posts on this subject which also recommended proper Winter tyres so have a trawl around SN.

Don't forget the shovel, some sacking to get grip under the wheels if you do get stuck and some warm clothes just in case!
Old 29 November 2007, 07:36 PM
BELLOTARU
Scooby Newbie

If you have 2 set of wheels I would Install winter tyres. If it´s not, all weather tyres.

Another solution is buy an used steel wheels set (is not expensive) to install winter tyres. This is better because you can mount a less size, for example 195 or
205. a thinner tyre is better for snow (in rally cars, snow tyres likes bicycle wheels)