Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

02 Bugeye with PPP vs Sti 7

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2007, 07:02 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't answer question directly but...............I had a MY00 decatted turbo and recently changed to blob sti PPP. I was not expecting too much of a difference in performance due to the significant extra weight. Boy was I wrong. Once moving the weight seems to disappear!!

Love classics, so would never say anything detrimental, but the newage is so much more solid (hence the bulk) and better put together. Would expect a decent advantage for a bug sti over your previous MY98, but if your budget will stretch go for the PPPd STi ot STi plus remap etc might be cheaper. STi is a better base car if you want a focused driver.

HTH,
DNC
Old 27 November 2007, 08:40 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

STi engine, 6 speed box, Brembo's, suretrak diffs etc etc, you'll only wish you'd brought an STi if you go down the WRX route, been there done that.
Old 27 November 2007, 09:17 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
STi engine, 6 speed box, Brembo's, suretrak diffs etc etc, you'll only wish you'd brought an STi if you go down the WRX route, been there done that.

VERY true
Better late than never though
DNC
Old 27 November 2007, 09:54 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

I would say STI all day long.
Old 27 November 2007, 09:56 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

I've had a UK300 PPP and a STi 7 and to be honest it depends what your looking for. The 6 speed box never seems to be in the right gear for me and your always shuffling around. Don't listen to the " You'll regret not buying an STi " because after owning an RB5 WR, P1 WR ( yes the electric recaro version ), UK300 PPP, STi 7, STi 8 I'm now driving a MY07 WRX and I love it Drive and look at both and that will help you decide.

Jas
Old 27 November 2007, 10:27 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G00ner

Same here - had a bugeye WRX for less than six months before I realised I should have saved longer and bought the STI. The better suspension alone is worth the price.

M
Old 28 November 2007, 10:00 AM
McWRX
Scooby Regular

Definataley the STI

I have had both (Current 52 STI) and the STI is a completely different car to drive for me. Better brakes, Suspension, higher revving, comfier seats and chunkier on a whole.

The WRX always felt too slow and as soon as i started to mod it it was getting expensive on insurance for similar STI power. (new clutch etc)
Old 28 November 2007, 02:30 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

STi all the way....
Old 28 November 2007, 06:05 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Originally Posted by Sideways
I've had a UK300 PPP and a STi 7 and to be honest it depends what your looking for. The 6 speed box never seems to be in the right gear for me and your always shuffling around. Don't listen to the " You'll regret not buying an STi " because after owning an RB5 WR, P1 WR ( yes the electric recaro version ), UK300 PPP, STi 7, STi 8 I'm now driving a MY07 WRX and I love it Drive and look at both and that will help you decide.

Jas
Impressive list of cars, but surely you wouldn't have chopped and changed so much if you were happy with any of those cars.

I brought my WRX from new, spent about 15k on mods, then regretted it when I went out in an STi.

The WRX just had to go once I'd been out in the STi.

If the difference between the used WRX and STi is only a couple of grand then just look at what it would cost to modify the WRX to STi,

Engine, gearbox, suspension, interior, wheels, brakes, even if you got it all second hand you wouldn't get it for the £2k difference between the used cars you saw.

I always felt that you got a hell of a lot more car for your money.
Old 28 November 2007, 06:13 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

STi all the way. But I am biased

Ant
Old 28 November 2007, 06:38 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i bought an 03 wrx coz of insurance and i found a real nice one looked like an sti, had it for about a year and a half, was more than happy with it then had a go in a friends 06 sti, 3 weeks later i had a ppp'd 05 sti and its so much better but to be honest i would prob of not changed had i not driven his car
Old 28 November 2007, 07:26 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The WRX is a smooth operator, a very good compromise between ride & handling IMO, just as quick in the hands of a good driver...

My 02 STI is harsher, and more "edgy", but I don't have kids to ferry around.

Nicer interior, better brakes, Diffs all over, and I can't see a problem with the six speed box (keeps you busy waiting for the hoorizon to headbutt you ).
Engine is safe to 450 bhp, at a cost, so that's where I'm heading....

Not cheap to service and parts (brakes !) aren't cheap !

Dunx

Carroll Shelby said " Speed costs money, how fast you wanna go ?"