ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   02 Bugeye with PPP vs Sti 7 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/650176-02-bugeye-with-ppp-vs-sti-7-a.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 26 November 2007 10:33 PM

02 Bugeye with PPP vs Sti 7

After having 3 years out of scooby ownership with a vRS i'm thinking of getting another Scoob. I had an MY98 fully decatted and it was pretty quick. I'm now looking at either a Bugeye WRX with PPP or an Sti 7.

How much difference is there in perfomance and spec between a PPP'd Bugeye and a standard Sti 7? How different are both of these cars to the classics?

TIA :)

dnc 27 November 2007 07:02 PM

Can't answer question directly but...............I had a MY00 decatted turbo and recently changed to blob sti PPP. I was not expecting too much of a difference in performance due to the significant extra weight. Boy was I wrong. Once moving the weight seems to disappear!!

Love classics, so would never say anything detrimental, but the newage is so much more solid (hence the bulk) and better put together. Would expect a decent advantage for a bug sti over your previous MY98, but if your budget will stretch go for the PPPd STi ot STi plus remap etc might be cheaper. STi is a better base car if you want a focused driver.

HTH,
DNC

G00ner 27 November 2007 08:40 PM

STi engine, 6 speed box, Brembo's, suretrak diffs etc etc, you'll only wish you'd brought an STi if you go down the WRX route, been there done that. ;)

dnc 27 November 2007 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by G00ner (Post 7442856)
STi engine, 6 speed box, Brembo's, suretrak diffs etc etc, you'll only wish you'd brought an STi if you go down the WRX route, been there done that. ;)

VERY true:lol1:
Better late than never though
DNC

ProdriveSTI 27 November 2007 09:54 PM

I would say STI all day long.

Sideways 27 November 2007 09:56 PM

I've had a UK300 PPP and a STi 7 and to be honest it depends what your looking for. The 6 speed box never seems to be in the right gear for me and your always shuffling around. Don't listen to the " You'll regret not buying an STi " because after owning an RB5 WR, P1 WR ( yes the electric recaro version ), UK300 PPP, STi 7, STi 8 I'm now driving a MY07 WRX and I love it :D Drive and look at both and that will help you decide.

Jas

Bravo2zero_sps 27 November 2007 10:21 PM

Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention it would be done on a very small budget. I've seen an MY02 WRX PPP with 38k on the clock for £6.5k. The nearest MY02 Sti I found in terms of low mileage was 47k miles for £8.5k. The WRX is standard looking so could spend a bit doing morettes/splitter and wheels etc making it look how i'd want where at the Sti would have to stay as is.

_Meridian_ 27 November 2007 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by G00ner (Post 7442856)

Same here - had a bugeye WRX for less than six months before I realised I should have saved longer and bought the STI. The better suspension alone is worth the price.

M

McWRX 28 November 2007 10:00 AM

Definataley the STI

I have had both (Current 52 STI) and the STI is a completely different car to drive for me. Better brakes, Suspension, higher revving, comfier seats and chunkier on a whole.

The WRX always felt too slow and as soon as i started to mod it it was getting expensive on insurance for similar STI power. (new clutch etc)

Bravo2zero_sps 28 November 2007 10:23 AM

That was the strange thing, had an insurance quote for both cars, standard WRX was only £50 cheaper than the Sti! So to mod it I would probably end up paying more than the Sti.

Looks like i'll have to wait and get some more money together and go for the Sti.

STi_Si 28 November 2007 02:30 PM

STi all the way....

G00ner 28 November 2007 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 7443109)
I've had a UK300 PPP and a STi 7 and to be honest it depends what your looking for. The 6 speed box never seems to be in the right gear for me and your always shuffling around. Don't listen to the " You'll regret not buying an STi " because after owning an RB5 WR, P1 WR ( yes the electric recaro version ), UK300 PPP, STi 7, STi 8 I'm now driving a MY07 WRX and I love it :D Drive and look at both and that will help you decide.

Jas

Impressive list of cars, but surely you wouldn't have chopped and changed so much if you were happy with any of those cars.

I brought my WRX from new, spent about 15k on mods, then regretted it when I went out in an STi.

The WRX just had to go once I'd been out in the STi.

If the difference between the used WRX and STi is only a couple of grand then just look at what it would cost to modify the WRX to STi,

Engine, gearbox, suspension, interior, wheels, brakes, even if you got it all second hand you wouldn't get it for the £2k difference between the used cars you saw.

I always felt that you got a hell of a lot more car for your money.

Bug Eyed Peas 28 November 2007 06:13 PM

STi all the way. But I am biased :lol1:

Ant

Aaron1978 28 November 2007 06:38 PM

i bought an 03 wrx coz of insurance and i found a real nice one looked like an sti, had it for about a year and a half, was more than happy with it then had a go in a friends 06 sti, 3 weeks later i had a ppp'd 05 sti and its so much better but to be honest i would prob of not changed had i not driven his car:thumb:

dunx 28 November 2007 07:26 PM

The WRX is a smooth operator, a very good compromise between ride & handling IMO, just as quick in the hands of a good driver...

My 02 STI is harsher, and more "edgy", but I don't have kids to ferry around.

Nicer interior, better brakes, Diffs all over, and I can't see a problem with the six speed box (keeps you busy waiting for the hoorizon to headbutt you ).
Engine is safe to 450 bhp, at a cost, so that's where I'm heading....

Not cheap to service and parts (brakes !) aren't cheap !

Dunx

Carroll Shelby said " Speed costs money, how fast you wanna go ?"