Sponsored by:

If You Can't Beat Them Join Them

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2002, 09:43 AM
Scooby Widow
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

So come on guys, what's the big fascination with your cars?

I have a nice functional car, namely a Volkswagen Golf. It does everything I ask of it, it returns 40 mpg and is cheap to service. It is ultra reliable and is readily accepted by society as neither naff or snobby. A good all round sensible car IMHO.

As for my husband, well there's a story. He has got a MY01 Impreza WRX and he is TOTALLY OBSESSED with it. Don't get me wrong, he does not deprive me or our daughter of anything, but he does spend a lot of time and money on his car. Decatting exhausts, noisy back thing, harnesses, silly spoiler, super bright lights, gold wheels, etc. Where will it all end.

I know many ladies class themselves as golf widows, but he does not even like golf. All I hear about is the car and all his friends from this BBS who he meets at all these 'Sunday drives for no real reason apart from blowing £60.00 on petrol' or even worse trackdays.

I am a true Scooby Widow, but am I alone or are you all as bad.
Perhaps we could have our own forum as I am sure there must be thousands of us.

Andrea
Old 14 January 2002, 09:45 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

at least it isn't another woman
Old 14 January 2002, 10:36 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dizzy - but it is a she LOL

Hmm.. wonder if Squeak will post, reckon she feels the same at times

Alex
Old 14 January 2002, 11:07 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Wink

Andrea - who is your husband? Please tell us, come on name and shame him

AFAIK you're not alone, I know of a few wives who feel the same way as you (no names mentioned ), they do come to the occasional meet or track day and it's really good for us scooby girlies to meet them but then they kind of glaze over when the conversation gets around to scooby mods, performance etc (can't understand why ). So why not form an alternative 'scooby widows' group (good name BTW ) then you could all come along to meets and track days thus allowing your husbands to pursue their interests unhindered whilst you and all the other 'widows' chat about anything other than cars or when there's a big track day you and the other wives could go for a day out somewhere whilst the boys spend all day whizzing round and round a race track

Failing all this you could of course develop a similar obsession to that of you hubby and fight him over who gets to take the scoob out - it works for us!

Sal
Old 14 January 2002, 11:18 AM
Scooby Widow
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Sal

I don't want to embarass him (though God knows why, he embarasses me every time we go out in it. Sooooooo noisy )

I have been on one meet. When we got to a particular junction he turned right. 'But our house is left dear' I said. 'That is not the pre-planned route' Came the reply. Result we could have been home in 20 minutes, but instead it took 3 bloody hours [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Needless to say I am not to keen to attend another meet. As for trackdays, they scare me. I have seen his video footage and that was more than enough. I have watched him Go-Karting and he is very determined and actually very good at it, but even that is too scary to watch if I am honest.

The idea of a seperate meeting is a good idea - but no Subarus or men allowed! LOL

Andrea
Old 14 January 2002, 02:47 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

<Jerry Springer style chant mode on>
Go on tell us, tell us, tell us...
</Jerry Springer style chant mode off>

Old 14 January 2002, 04:26 PM
Scooby Widow
Scooby Newbie

Talking

I can't Sal. Divorce would follow

Now there's a thought........

Andrea
Old 14 January 2002, 06:21 PM
Squeak
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry I have to agree with Sal and say that the best way to beat the boys is to join them. Despite occasionally wanting to beat Dr Evil over the head with a large brick (only way to get through sometimes when he is off on one about cars, once I had driven and seen how much fun they can be I was hooked.
I say swap the golf in for an STI 7 and really rub it in
Old 14 January 2002, 06:32 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Scooby widow,

I'm afraid if you have to ask the question in the first place you will never understand.

Sounds like a well balanced decent sort of bloke.
Old 15 January 2002, 11:03 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

I must be lucky then

My better half drives a Skyline that's as loud as my Subie without any fettling. She even comes along without any encouragement to race days (and was very p-ed off at me for not including her at one particular event) - although track days are a no-no in general (to early in the morning you see ).

In fact my group of Subie m8s has a loyal band of wives and partners who join us at most events...