Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an import - good idea or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2007, 05:09 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an import - good idea or bad idea?

Seen some ridiculously cheap, very nice imports around and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth buying an imported scooby? What are the pro's and cons of doing so? Can they be serviced etc just the same as any UK scoob? Are the parts all identical?

Any info from you peeps with imports would be grand.
Old 22 November 2007, 05:13 PM
postie90
Scooby Regular

servicing is no problem, as far as i know parts are the same to, you just have to have yr wits about you when looking if you know what i mean!!!! look for service history etc, or buy brand new import you know nobody thrashed it then....
Old 22 November 2007, 05:29 PM
stcos85
Scooby Regular

I am just going through importing an sti v4 typeR and should be with me next week.

I used a company called autoadvan who carried out the translations and gave their views on the car, arranged the shipping and all the customs bits. Received my de reg docs today. Just now waiting for it to arrive so I can pick it up. Registering is simple once you have an MOT and takes about 2 weeks to get a log book.

Basically I have looked at the car details over the internet and paid my money. Everything else has been done for me. Autoadvan take £500 for providing this service. If the car is as was described I will be very pleased. I will let you know how it goes.

I am sure you know this but once its over 10 years old you only need an MOT. Anything newer needs an SVA test which can cost over £1000.
Old 22 November 2007, 07:22 PM
scoobie_girl
Scooby Regular

i got my import from merryhill motars in birmingham they registered it taxed it and motd it all for free and got a 6 month warranty with the acr aswell and have had no problems with it so far
Old 22 November 2007, 07:31 PM
aRSekicker
Scooby Regular

hi m8
import's usually come with better/higher spec ?
insurance group is higher tho group 20
id say go 4 it m8 just have good luck plenty around
Old 22 November 2007, 08:50 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Be very careful. They may be cheap for a reason.

Things to check are the same on any car. Body damage, wear and tear not matching mileage recorded, leaks, dodgy smoke, signs of abuse. Dealers should provide some sort of warranty, but may cost more.

If they have been in the uk a while, check service history and suss out present owner, check HPI etc.....
Old 23 November 2007, 12:10 AM
WRX marv
Scooby Regular

so how come my import is a group 17 & uk 1s are 19 & 20
Old 23 November 2007, 12:47 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with getting an import, I got one myself and found it to be mint. But you have to know what to look for i.e. body damage, engine wear and tear etc.

I am not a Subaru expert so I did my homework first but I have epxerience of buying imports so knew where to look and for what. Main thing is to check the body from every angle, make sure the panels look straight and then pop the bonnet and take a good look around the sides of the engine.

If you see any extra welding or seams that look out of place it's probably due to an accident however most repair jobs are professionally done. A good tell tale sign is a replacement wing or two, they are not always bolted down correctly and will show. Also check the sills for any damage, the a piller for any creases etc.

And finally check the engine and gearbox sound and work right, does the car match the description (if it says low mileage check the MOT's and the interior for wear and tear), spend the money for an AA/RAC inspection - it's worth the peace of mind.

Otherwise I have found most imports (fresh imports that is) to be in better condition than cars that have been in the UK for some time.
Old 23 November 2007, 07:59 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

I bought an import in jan and its been sweet, had a new rad and thats it!!!

Most jap cars have relatively little mileage on them too, mine had done 108,000km when i bought it! english cars were all about 90-100,000 miles for the money
Old 23 November 2007, 08:23 AM
nooobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Why buy secondhand when you can still get a brand new WRX for under £15K?
Old 23 November 2007, 09:08 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

What?

Say I had 3 grand to spend on an Impreza and its all I could afford!! Bit of a difference to make up the extra £12k wouldn't you say.