Sponsored by:

Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2002, 09:38 PM
towser
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi - first time post. Been reading for over a year now prior to buying a MY99 and ever since - one of the best boards on the net for info and laughs. Shame my first post isn't in a more upbeat mood. Just been informed by Northern Constabulary ( Highland Region ) that I was clocked at 94 on the A9 - which is a 60. No complaints, it's a fair cop as they say. Just looking for some sort of idea of the size of the book that'll be thrown at me? Hefty fine and a few points or what....? Just trying to avoid any nasty surprises. Any info or advice is gratefully received.

Cheers Folks,

Towser.
Old 13 January 2002, 10:11 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'm not an expert but you might be looking at ban, so think about getting a decent solicitor. There is one who been mentioned here but I can't remember his name and search is down, maybe someone else can help.

Might be worth reposting with a title mentioning "caught speeding".

In the meantime have a look here, loads of more authoritative info than I can give you:

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk

Cheers

Simon
Old 13 January 2002, 10:19 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yep I agree with Simes. Definitely get a good solicitor as 50% over the speed limit plus is not going to be looked on kindly. If it's any sort of guidance at all I originally got 8 points a serious fine for 97 on a clear empty motorway in good weather conditions, but managed to defend myself on appeal and get it down to 5 points and £300. If I'd been over 100 I'd have had a solicitor with me.

So get a good solicitor and pray the court is in a good mood. Sorry I can't be more upbeat than that.

Good luck,

tiggers

P.S. Ignore the sanctimonious **** who will no doubt eventually post a reply to this thread saying they have no sympathy and you shouldn't speed etc. In my experience of this BBS there is always at least one person who feels the need to utter such helpful comments.
Old 13 January 2002, 10:52 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I agree with the above, a good solicitor is going to be vital, as your are looking at a ban. Above 90mph on a 60mph limit (same as over 100mph on a motorway) is ban territory (weeks or few months I'm afraid) unless you get a good solicitor/barrister to plead for you. Punishment wise your looking at a goodly amount of points, which might put you in reach of 12 pts under totting up, you didn't say if you had any points already, and 350 quid as a fine, as you can reckon on about 10 quid per mph over the limit as a fine.

Get the solicitor, taje there advice and turn up at court on the day. Sorry I have been gloomy, but this is all similar to what has happened to a couple of friends recently. Good luck mate.
Old 13 January 2002, 11:12 PM
gadge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i got done M9 perth 146mph got 6 points and £250 fine was 4 years ago
what ever happens chin up they only last 4 years

garry
Old 14 January 2002, 12:05 AM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Yep...

Know how it feels mate.

Just got one from the Fife boys in blue. Minor back road (Last stretch from Knockhill to Kelty, just before the motorway). Straight stretch, pulled out to pass someone that had pulled out from a country pub a few miles back (from the way he was driving, probably had a few) and guess what.... NIP NIP...76 in a 60. Not as bad as yours, but pretty annoyed that a drink driver gets away and I get knicked. Life.

I totally agree with the other folks, get prof. assistance. Will almost certainly pay off.

Good luck.

O'yes... while I'm at it. How come there's a slip of paper with my NIP, saying that if I've been driving for less than 12 months, if I agree to take a series of six lessons (cost approx. £100) I will probably get off! How come this is not open to everyone??? Certainly be a better contribution to road safety, than just slapin 3/4 points on my license and giving me a fine!!! I know that I would go for it, probably enjoy it and maybe even learn something. If the Government is genuinely interested in road safety etc. etc. then this would be a far better idea... but then again, isn't most of this about revenue collection? Bitter? YEP
Old 14 January 2002, 12:12 AM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

PS. The A9 is a "bitch" of a road for speeding. Not as though I approve of such things! Loads of cameras hidden behind road signs etc. Not a single one that I know off, anywhere near an accident black spot!!!

Now why did they put that one just before Blackford! Not at the turning where there have been loads of accidents, but at the bottom of a bloody great hill, a couple of miles before! Nicely hidden behind a F'in great road sign. Now someone convince me that this is anything but a "revenue collector"!

O'yes.... while I'm here (rant rant). Someone also try and convince me that the new CO2 charge for company cars come April this year, is really a "green tax". The word that comes to mind, is B0LLOCKS! Just another "stealth tax" on motorists and will probably lead me to have to get rid of my Scoob come the end of the year. Bitter? YEP

[Edited by Mike Owen - 1/14/2002 12:15:03 AM]
Old 15 January 2002, 01:34 PM
towser
Scooby Newbie

Thanks folks.... probably worse than I'd thought first off. What sort of things are taken into account in these situations? I mean is a judge going to sit there and listen to me say - look clean driving licence for the last 12 years so no history of speeding, it was a nice clear day and I'd just overtaken a couple of HGVs and was pulling in etc etc.... or is it just a hard nosed approach that I should expect?

Is it worthwhile getting a copy of the picture taken or does that just **** them off even more? Am I likely to be up for speeding, reckless or careless driving? From an insurance point of view is a ban the worst thing that can happen? Sorry for all the questions..... thanks for the advice on the lawyer I'm trying to get something arranged at the moment.

And god I'm driving like I'm on 10 points at the moment.... :-)

Thanks,

Towser.
Old 15 January 2002, 03:50 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

towser,

A lot of it will I'm afraid come down to how the court is feeling on the day, if they're in a good mood and the right sort of people you might escape without a ban.

You really need to get a good solicitor, I can't emphasise this enough. Your previous clean record will be to your advantage and if you need a car for work and can get proof of this that will also work for you. One of the most important things is turning up at the court looking smart (suit if possible, haircut, shiny shoes - I know it sounds silly, but it counts for a lot) and acting contritely and politely towards the court as well as showing remorse without being over the top.

Regards,

tiggers
Old 15 January 2002, 03:54 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

i was lucky then, i got pulled last month, 95 in a 60, got away with a £60 fine and three points, a nice copper
mark
Old 15 January 2002, 03:56 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Was it a single carriageway or dual ? As I understand it the limit is 70 on a dual carriageway, according to the UK police website. Can anyone confirm this ?
Old 15 January 2002, 04:21 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

For cars and motorbikes the limit on a national speed limit dual carriageway is definitely 70mph.

Regards,

tiggers.