Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is it so hard to sort a subscription to RAC Trackster?

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2007, 10:55 AM
turbogav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it so hard to sort a subscription to RAC Trackster?

I picked up an Impreza last weekend with a RAC Trackster fitted. On the Monday before I phoned RAC Trackster to sort out the Tracker, thinking this would leave plenty of time to sort it out.
First problem was they couldn't trace the car on its current reg. Had to phone the garage and get details of previous plates and phone RAC again. When the numpty I spoke to finally traced the car he said 'phone back at end of week mate and we'll sort the subscription out for ya'. In the meantime he said he took down the new reg and my contact details. So last Friday I phoned again, you can guess the response - 'no, sorry sir, we have no records of your name, car reg etc..' They then had to do a test track - this meant phoning up the garage and getting them to switch ignition on to 'wake' up the unit. So, onto phone call 3 to RAC, and its confirmed the unit works. 'We'll send the paperwork in th post to you Sir'
Saturday, i pick the car up.
Come Wednesday this week and still no paperwork so onto the phone for phonecall 4. 'Hello, its Mr... / car reg....' to which the reply was 'No sorry sir, we don't have any records of that car, what was the previous reg?' Anyway, paperwork is apparently going to be put in post, again.
So, by this morning I'm getting really fed up as it didn't arrive. Onto Phonecall 5 - 'Sorry Sir but it takes 2 days for another department to issue the paperwork, they don't take phonecalls from the public, we don't e-mail the papers, I don't know how can you can complain or who to, I can't help, blah blah blah.
I can't believe its this difficult? To anyone considering getting a RAC Trckster I would strongly recommend not to bother unless you're ready for this amount of hassle.
Old 09 November 2007, 12:50 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advise.

I was thinking about it after another one of my cars was stollen.
Old 09 November 2007, 01:06 PM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

I've always wondered about Trackers.

The tracking company can track your car whether you pay or not.
If your car is stolen they know where your car is.
Surely not giving that information to the police because you won't pay for it is a criminal offence as by not telling the police where the car (and potentially the criminals) is they are 'attempting to pervert the course of justice'.
Old 09 November 2007, 01:11 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badgersport
I've always wondered about Trackers.

The tracking company can track your car whether you pay or not.
If your car is stolen they know where your car is.
Surely not giving that information to the police because you won't pay for it is a criminal offence as by not telling the police where the car (and potentially the criminals) is they are 'attempting to pervert the course of justice'.
Doesn't make any sense

You pay them to track and monitor the car.
If the car is stolen, they check with you for confirmation and then pass information to the police.

You're paying for a service, simple as that.
No pay, no play.

Shaun
Old 09 November 2007, 01:17 PM
pj748r
Scooby Regular

Try speaking to this lady,she was very helpful in sorting out my european trackstar cover in September,was all done over the phone with me sending her a confirmation e-mail with regards to updating the Direct Debit

Pete

Amanda Parmar

Customer Service Administrator

TRAFFICMASTER PLC

MARTELL HOUSE / UNIVERSITY WAY

CRANFIELD / BEDFORDSHIRE / MK43 0TR

T: 01234 759164

F: 01234 759504

E: info@trafficmaster.co.uk
Old 09 November 2007, 01:59 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
You pay them to track and monitor the car.
If the car is stolen, they check with you for confirmation and then pass information to the police.
You're paying for a service, simple as that.
Shaun
Or you come back to the car park, find your car missing, phone them up to tell them the cars missing so they can help the police find the car

"Is it Sir, are you sure it isn't showing as activated on our system"

To which you say well its definitely not here now

"Is Sir sure he didn't park it somewhere else"

To which you reply, LOOK there is broken glass and other bits of my car all over the floor, its been stolen.............................

Anyway I think you get the idea AND for over a year they kept sending me letters and phoning me chasing me to renew the subscription for the stolen car with THEY had failed to keep track of.

The only reason I have one now is a) it came with the car and b) it keeps the insurance company happy.
Old 09 November 2007, 04:37 PM
stevolang
Scooby Regular

I think the service i've recieved since i've had my car has been first class!The first time I was on my way to work one morning at about 3am and my phone starts ringing,i pulled over to answer to find its trackstar asking me if i know where my car is because it has activated an alarm on their system(or whatever it does),the second time was in the summer of this year when the car had been picked up on a transporter and was being taken back to the subaru stealers for some warranty work(electric window defect would you believe).Trackstar again rang me to say the car was on the move without the keys in the ignition! Got to say i was well impressed with this service,well worth the hundred odd quid a year!
Old 09 November 2007, 05:14 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

they never phoned me and mines been on a trailer loads of times without keys
Old 09 November 2007, 05:23 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pj748r
Try speaking to this lady,she was very helpful in sorting out my european trackstar cover in September,was all done over the phone with me sending her a confirmation e-mail with regards to updating the Direct Debit

Pete

Amanda Parmar

Customer Service Administrator

TRAFFICMASTER PLC

MARTELL HOUSE / UNIVERSITY WAY

CRANFIELD / BEDFORDSHIRE / MK43 0TR

T: 01234 759164

F: 01234 759504

E: info@trafficmaster.co.uk
how spooky is that, this was the same person i dealt with (and seems the only one with a brain there) the surname stuck in my head for some reason. didn't like the name as she was getting divorced if i remember

all runs smooth with trackstar now, but like you turbogav, i've never found it so hard to give away money to someone!
Old 09 November 2007, 05:36 PM
imf1
Scooby Regular

Smile

Had a few probs resetting up on my car, but the other day after having new alarm fitted, got a call saying it was showing on their system. I explained I was in the car (handsfree of course) and that after new alarm fitting was just going home literally 2 mins from shop, she said the fitters must have changed something. I told her to ignore until I got it sorted with alarm fitters and thought to myself at least it works
Prob now sorted.
Old 09 November 2007, 06:50 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Don't think they were in the office this morning - i phoned twice and spent 10 mins then a good 20 mins on hold before i gave up.

Rang again about 4pm and someone answered it in 2 rings

Although when i did finally speak to someone, they were quite helpful and completely understood when i explained that the DVLA had stuffed up my new V5.... i think they have that a lot
Old 09 November 2007, 07:04 PM
stevolang
Scooby Regular

If anyone is in any doubt about their tracker,then why not(and you are more entitled to) ring up and ask them to tell you where your vehicle is to make sure its working,after all if you are paying for a subscription you want to know that it's for a reason!
Old 10 November 2007, 05:40 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

The fact remains the one time you really want tracker to work is IF your car is stolen. When my WR1 was stolen they failed me totally and their subsequent customer service was rubbish. Maybe they have improved, I hope they have, but you can't beat real life experience for an objective experience on a company and their service.