Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Improvment Schemes (after an RTA)

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2007, 11:17 AM
sjwent
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Improvment Schemes (after an RTA)

All,

Recently I had an RTA where I hit a car from behind, my fault .... no issue with that. But at the time the police were talking about me driving without due care and attention (which was a bit harsh as it was a very low speed impact).

Anyway I've just recieved a letter from the police giving me the option to attend a Driver Improvement Scheme as an alternative to being prosecuted for the offence of careless driving. The police are selling this scheme as a way to improve driving skills and gain additional training. Thing is the 'Driver Improvement Scheme' costs £170 and I'm beginning to wonder if it's just a money making scheme.

Has anyone got any experience of these schemes.Will they really prosecute me if I decline the DIS. Are they worth attending.

Any opinions welcome
Old 01 November 2007, 11:38 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I asked a similar question on 5ive-o a few weeks ago. The responses to my question may be of interest.
Old 01 November 2007, 12:31 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Sounds like ya getting off light to me.

Could just be me, but if you were paying attention and had due care it wouldnt have happened

Just my 2p
Old 01 November 2007, 12:35 PM
writeofreply
BANNED

It's going to be cheaper in the long run in terms of insurance and fines so snap up the offer munto pronto.
Old 01 November 2007, 01:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Same thing happened to my youngest, after he skidded off a wet road and rolled down an embankment

I was a bit p*ssed off with the police as it seemed to me to be a money making scam, especially as it's run by the same people who run the scameras. I also didn't like the implied threat: attend and pay up, or we prosecute you. "Stand and deliver" modern day version.

So I rang those lawyers in M/c who got Beckham, Ferguson et al off their speeding, and asked for advice.

The lady I spoke to advised me to take the offer.

I was surprised, and said I didn't see HOW the cops could do him for dwdca when all he did was skid. No speeding involved, as witnessed by other drivers, just a skid he didn't control well on braking.

She then advised me to go to court and WATCH them prosecute him!!!

I asked if she was serious, and she replied by asking ME if I'd had any experience in front of mags.

I said yes, and she asked what happened. I replied that they TOTALLY ignored everything I said, ignored the fact that MY witness that I could PROVE lied on statement, never turned up, and STILL fined me £100 with £150 costs.

"Exactly", says she. And dwdca carries 6 points which would have been his license since he's not been driving two years

We took the offer, I paid, and I have to say, and so does he, that he's a FAR better driver for it.

Alcazar
Old 01 November 2007, 03:17 PM
sjwent
Scooby Regular

Thanks alcazar and doulasb .... very informative posts.

I've just booked a course 20-21 Nov.
Old 03 November 2007, 12:41 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Take the course = no points = no extra insurance premiums and no fine = course more than paid for = better driver too.

All makes very good sense.