Stolen VR6 - Can you believe this?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2002, 09:25 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Very unfortunate.

But people have got to learn not to meet at places other than their own home, unless you take a few mates with you as back up!
Old 11 January 2002, 09:25 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I'd be tempted to say that the car was taken as a result of a robbery, although its right on the threshold.

For a robbery to be committed, the person/victim has to be put in fear of immediate and unlawful violence, or be subject to the same, at the time or immediately before the event.

I would argue that this is the case here. The car has been driven recklessly in order to get the victim to let go. I would liken it to the proverbial grandma not letting go of her handbag, so the robber rags her to the ground = robbery.

I'd argue the point, anyway.

Surely, the insurance company should pay out for a robbery. Also, why didn't the police record the offence as robbery, rather than a simple theft?
Old 11 January 2002, 09:26 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Angry

Makes you wonder why we bother paying so much for insurance when deep down we know that it there is just the slightest opportunity for the insurance company to get out of making a payment they will.

Every sympathy to the guy who's car was stolen. Have the thieves finished their pathetic amount of community service yet?
Old 11 January 2002, 09:35 AM
ChrisB

Sad to hear of another theft but you've got to use common sense and look after yourself. There's been more than enough cases like this, so people show know what to do and what not to do when trying to sell a car privately.

It's like people who leave the keys in their car when paying for petrol and then moan when somebody nicks it.
Old 11 January 2002, 09:36 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Red face

Im with Burr on this one, just say you gave your keys away under duress
Old 11 January 2002, 09:46 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

I agree that perhaps he shouldn't have met at a petrol station, but at least there is a chance the incident may have been caught on CCTV thus showing the severity of the event.

As far as not giving the 'potential buyer' the keys is concerned, would you ever by a used car without driving it? I know I wouldn't!!!
Old 11 January 2002, 09:49 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Interesting the view of some companies versus others, my brother got his Citreon AX(I know I know) nicked from his driveway last year while it was running, he's in motor and remembers he's forgotten his wallet, comes back out of house to see the car drive out the driveway and up the road. Insurance paid out !!! I was surprised but there you go. Sounds like a rough deal your mate got to be honest, need to take it up with ombudsman I think.

Cheers
Cammy
Old 11 January 2002, 10:05 AM
Luke
BANNED

Sorry but when will folk learn...
Old 01 November 2002, 09:12 AM
IanF
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Speaking to some friends last night, who told me the following story about a friend of their's. There is an important question about insurance at the end so advice would be appreciated as I believe this has happened to 1 or 2 people with Subarus on here.

Basically, selling a VR6, agreed to meet people in petrol station (so they could see it under the light), guy wants to sit in the driver's seat, then wants to hear the engine. Guy selling is crouched down by the door with driver's door open. Next thing, you've guessed, into first gear and the guy drives off. Seller holds on , but is thrown off, breaking his wrist and with other minor injuries.

Reported to police who treat it as just another stolen car and are not particularly interested.

Worst thing about it, is that the thieves then phone the guy at midnight, saying what a great car it is and saying how they are thrashing the b0llocks off it.

Car has been recovered and the thieves arrested. Car is at a police pound, minus leather interior, electric window mechanisms and with hole cut in the dashboard to take the CD changer out.

His insurance company will not consider the claim as they say the keys were in the car, end of story.

Seems a little unfair and wonder if anyone has any experience with this type of claim or can offer any advice.

Many thanks
Regards
IanF

[Edited by IanF - 1/11/2002 9:13:47 AM]
Old 01 November 2002, 09:44 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I disagee with davyboys comments about meeting them at home your own home, theres nothing to say they wouldnt have done the same there.

Also they could have acted all innocent whilst they cased your car/house/garage and come back for it at night when you and your family are sleeping.

If you read any of the motorbike press they all say DO NOT meet at your house, meet somewhere heavily populated, well lit and with friends (as he stated).

[Edited by ptholt - 1/11/2002 9:45:41 AM]