Sponsored by:

what about a golf vr6

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2001, 09:53 PM
nickwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I currently own my lovely scoob, but all this talk of insurance price's are going to rise has got me abit worried, as i am paying £1000 already , and i'm not prepared to pay any more than this for poxy insurance .
So for an alternative ,i was wondering if anyone has driven a golf vr6 , as i like the idea of nearly 200 bhp, plus the slightly cheaper insurance.
So what i want to know is ,do they handle well, are they quick, and are they reliable.
thanx, nick.
Old 18 June 2001, 10:07 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Nick

Haven't a clue re Golf VR6 but I do know that a Corrado G60 was ultra reliable, lovely taut chasis (better than Golf), is fun & more distinctive than it's stablemate. Therefore a Corrado VR6 is well worth considering

(IMHO )
Old 18 June 2001, 10:10 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Are you subscribed to IWOC?

If not, subscribe and check out the archives. This was done to death - in short, comfortable car but not a performance car was the conclusion that I drew.

Cambelt has just moved to a 306 GTI - that would get my nod above the Golf... (A caveat: I've not driven one, but if it's as much fun as the 106GTI, it'll be a hoot)
Old 18 June 2001, 10:28 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

The power of the VR6 may be within 20 or 30 bhp of the Scoob but the handling is not even on the same playing field.

Is it worth downgrading your performance and driveability of your car to probably save £200 or so?

If cruising around comfortably is more important, go for it.
Old 18 June 2001, 10:40 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about them?
Old 19 June 2001, 12:34 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

I lashed a modded VR6 off the lights a while ago, twice. I mean lashed as well, he was a long way back. I expect top end tourque is pretty good.

I had a VTEC Prelude keep up with me the other day, he actually took me on a straight when I backed off..

MB
Old 19 June 2001, 01:06 AM
g man
Scooby Regular

Wink

NEVER KNOCK THE GOLF VR6...Owned 2 golf vr6`s +1 corrado vr6. Very good work horse all rounder but when they got SICK they got SICK But one night year ago a 4 DOOR JAP FARMERS CAR JUST BLEW ME AWAY and i got rid two days after that ..vr6 respect due ..IMPREZA what can i say ..sorry about that nick..gary
Old 19 June 2001, 07:56 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Golf VR6 - NO - too soft, too slow (only c170hp), too heavy, FWD, spongy steering...

Corrado VR6 - YES - harder, faster (almost 200hp), still heavy, still FWD but makes a better job of it.

Either would still get shown a clean pair of heels by any scoob though
Old 19 June 2001, 08:16 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Smile

We had a VR6 before the last scoob, was a great car for comfort, easy to drive, but too heavy, too uninvolving, became boring after a short time....i'm sure if you changed the suspension, gave it another 50bhp, stuck on 18" wheels and a bodykit it would be worth having.... go for the Corrado Storm instead...

Dom
Old 19 June 2001, 08:40 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Colleague has a VR6 4 motion and it is a very well built car - leagues ahead of the impreza "classic". However it is just too heavy and soft to be a real performance car.

She kept going on about how quick her car was so I went out in it and I was impressed - by the interior the performance was lacking to say the least. I then took her out in my scoob and she didn't say anything for 5 minutes. Then she said " this car is really fast isn't it?"

By the way the VR6 4 motion puts out 204bhp according to VW. The V5 is the 170bhp motor. Unfortunately I don't have the figures that matter i.e torque!
Old 19 June 2001, 09:47 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Go for the Corrado VR6 if you get a chance. Engine, chassis and suspension are all much sharper than the Golf
Old 19 June 2001, 10:34 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

I've driven about 4 VR6's and can honestly say they are one of the most fun FWD cars I've driven. Not in the same league handling-wise as the integra type r, but loads of fun.

Not as quick as a scoob, but very torquey. Nice comfortable ride and pretty quick a - b on the back roads.

cheers

Simon
Old 19 June 2001, 11:00 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about doing the same thing, until I started test driving cars that would make a big enough difference on insurance figures to provide any real savings.
Its a different world stepping down, so the first thing to do would be to find out exactly how much money the change would save you, because although I would never turn down any amount of money, I found that I battled to find a car that I would want, and you may find you cant live with it, and have to change up again.

While on the subject of insurance.
I understand insurance grouping, but am also aware of how it forms only a rough guide in the unregulated world of insurance, so although the Teg is group 18, and the Scooby is group 17, would the lower grouping of the Scoob be reflected in insurance costs? or does the fact that Max Muppets want Scoobies so badly, and wouldnt know a Teg if one ran them over, mean that Scooby insurance is more expensve, even though the grouping is lower?

Old 19 June 2001, 03:45 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Smile

Following on from what Chiark said.....Used to own a 306 GTI-6.

They handle superbly and even better if put on lowering springs, they've got 167bhp in a 2.0 which is only 3bhp off the Golf and in a lighter car with a lighter engine. Chassis and handling are renouned by most who've driven them, one of the best 2wd Hot Hatches.
Good brakes too!!

Not as well built as the Golf tho'.......