Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Evo7 RS II 276 bhp £29,995
Evo VII 300 300bhp £31,495
Old 10 January 2002, 10:15 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Oh dear -- significantly more expensive that the STi UK. What are they thinking?
Old 10 January 2002, 10:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

The IMPREZA has it then!! Game, Set and Match!!

Pete
Old 10 January 2002, 10:32 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The RS is not a whole lot more than the Prodrived Sti, and has more power, so seems a fair price to me
Old 10 January 2002, 10:51 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Bah, I dont know which is worse, the bug-eyed Sti or the spacewagon-esque evo VII?
Old 10 January 2002, 10:58 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

May cost more, but less face it we keep tuning ours just to get close to evo's on performance? so by the time you add that to our "cheap" sti etc it's about same. (and no I don't own evo have uk300, plus £5000 approx extra bits so far)
Old 10 January 2002, 11:28 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I was having my VI serviced at Ralliart a couple of weeks ago. Took the only VII they had in for a test drive, which was then sold later the very same day. I enquired about VII availability - all VII's due for delivery early this year have been sold already.

I'm not saying that the buyers of these cars won't lose a few grand in depreciation, but if people are buying them at that price, Mitsubishi have hardly stuffed up. It makes sense to charge as much as the market will stand for a product.

Gary.
Old 10 January 2002, 11:34 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Exactly - dealers aint stupid (well most anyway). If they can sell at x price then they will. And from what Ive seen the Evo 7 (even though I dont like its looks) still blows the Sti out of the water performance wise.
Old 10 January 2002, 11:57 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally posted by Neil Smalley:
When Prodrive issue a PPP for the STI, as is VERY highly probable you'll have a car that'll be as quick as an Evo for 3K less.
I wouldn't mind betting that once you take the cats out you'll have a car as quick as an Evo, without the associated cost of a PPP.
Old 11 January 2002, 07:39 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Mitsubishi might well sell the EVO VII at 30k, but one real question is how many.

There is a real hard core of people that will buy the EVO VII even though its no better than the UK STI .

The thing is when you total up the number of sales at the end of the year the STI will far outsell the EVO. My dealer is a Mitsubishi main dealer as well as a Scooby dealer. The relationship in sales of EVO VI's to P1's was about 15 to 1, and that was when the price was the same. I dont see that changing and neither do they.

One thing you will have is a relatively exclusive car compared to the Scooby, but that has not helped in depreciation on the VI, and dont see it changing on the VII. EVO owners are IMHO more fickle than Scooby owners (not a bad thing). They want the badge and the latest. Soon as the latest EVO gets released the EVO VII will struggle in the way the VI has since the VII's release.

Jonathan
Old 11 January 2002, 08:06 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

But have you seen the LOW spec of the RS
A few highlights

Front brakes 276mm Ventilated discs. 2 pot calipers
15 Inch Non Alloy wheels
No ABS
No AYC
No Electronic diff control
No Aircon
No Electric Windows
No Recaro Interior

Now as a base car for competition the RS is great as that's what it's designed for. But you'd need to be a good driver to get the best out of it.

The biggest thing that puts me off, as this would be my main car is the puny 48 litre fuel tank, harsh ride and 4,500 mile service intervals.

It's a shame, as I said before because had the GS been the same price(with a grand or so) as the STI I would have been sorely tempted.

Old 11 January 2002, 08:55 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Forget the VII the real bargain of the moment is a nearly new EVO VI.
Old 11 January 2002, 11:35 AM
tezza
Scooby Regular

After seeing evo7 at auto sport show, i was lead to believe that prices for these was through Mitsi Colt not through Rallyart uk. So rs2 version has quite a bit of the standard gsr kit, 17" wheels ayc and active diff (snow,gravel and tarmac etc) but did not have titanium turbo so marginally slower to spin up, plus some other minor things like manual air con not full like GSR through rallyart uk.
May have miss heard some things as I had a few largers before chatting to them. So sorry if way off!!!

Terry
Old 11 January 2002, 11:37 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

I'll pay the extra 5K and have the EVO thank you
Old 11 January 2002, 12:00 PM
Warped Chris
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Richard,

You'd be nuts mate

I'm fleeing the country so my Evo VI will be up for sale. It'll have done 22,000 miles and I bought it in October 2000. I bought itfrom Ralliart and paid £32k for it, including the stereo and a few bits. I'm going to be lucky to clear £19k on selling it in March for cash. The only thing they do faster than accelerate is depreciate!!

I will never ever ever again buy an official import - in my opinion, the warranty is worthless (the only bits I've had problems with is the brakes, which they refuse to cover, and a paint fault, which I've chased the dealer for 3 times and had no satisfactory response) and you get stung for an extra £5k over the import price for absolutely no improvement whatsoever in residual values.

If I was doing it again, I'd pick up an 18-24 month old car and run it for another 2 years, trying to minimise the truly awful depreciation.

Anyway I'm off to California, and quite fancy a Dodge Viper. It'll need tuning up though

Chris
Old 11 January 2002, 12:26 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

"EVO owners are IMHO more fickle than Scooby owners (not a bad thing). They want the badge and the latest."

Remind me, how often to you change your car Jonathan

Gary

(Had my VI for over a year now, and have not yet discovered a car I would change it for).
Old 11 January 2002, 12:41 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi guys
i have not read all the replies. however, it was mentioned that we keep modifying our scoobs to match the evo. well, i have just purchased an EVO VII GSR from ralliart, got the cat off and £70 all i have spent so far . i have dyno'd the car wedensday at the same rolling road i have always used. the car put out 320bhp/302lbft torque and 220Paw. now these are an exact match to my scoob on the same rollers but my scoob had 1.3bar, FMIC,VF23,LINK,FULL EXHAUST etc.... i am happy with that would not you be. this week i have got couple of things to do that should push my evo vii to 350bhp for the total price of 450£ find me a acoob that can do that??
Old 11 January 2002, 01:26 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Exactly Sam. These things quite frankly whip Subaru's butt I am sorry to say. Sam was telling me that the Evo 7 ECU will go up to 1.5bar and that the turbo, intercooler and internals are all up to the job. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get 350bhp out of an Evo for £500 - exhaust, boost gauge and boost controller. But we'll see. Try doing that on an STi. I think not sadly. Also bear in mind the UK STi has a PWR barely better than a MY00. No thanks.
Old 11 January 2002, 01:34 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

glad you are seeing the point john

both cars are great, i loved my scoob as the people that know me know. but it all to do with what you want.

i want power and handling basically, price is not an issue and to be honest who ever can afford 27k can afford 30k. but if you get a car with will produce very close to 300bhp out of the box spent 600£ on it and make it a 350bhp car, exhaust, filter, manual boost controller or even a bleed valve. you still have you warranty if things go wrong. boost controller could be taken off in 2 minutes and most manufactures are ok with exhuast and filters.

now lets get a standard sti 24.5K spend 1.5K to make it look good, spoiler, lights. that is 26k. you will need to spend at least 3-k k to get 350 bhp ( still to be seen) but you will have absolutely no chance in hell of keeping this warranty. so the arugment of getting a uk sti and modding it is totally invalid

plus the standard GSR is lighter that the sti 7 .
sam
Old 11 January 2002, 01:36 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Evo VII 300 300bhp £31,495

add a cat-free exhaust system and a induction kit, easily looking at under 34,000 for a 330bhp - not too bad.
Old 11 January 2002, 05:45 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

try getting it from the horses mouth:

http://www.ralliartuk.com/contents/index.htm

click New Cars
click prices

you will see:
On The Road Price: RS - £24,995, GSR - £29,995

Old 11 January 2002, 05:51 PM
ajw
Scooby Regular

Theres a lot of ill informed crap being talked on here as usual!

You cant get a RELIABLE 330bhp+ from an evo 7 for £500. I spent £1000 on a full exhaust system, de-cat and induction kit on my evo 7- the car makes a good 300-310 bhp. I f u want 330 bhp - you have to spend £3000 plus.

A uk sti makes 260ish bhp but the torque figure is even less than the jap spec sti. I drove a jap spec sti before buying the evo - the evo 7 has far more grunt lower down - I had to rev the nads of the sti to get it to perform similar. And now the uk car has even less torque - and in my opinion looks far softer/worse than an evo 7.

All of this is my humble opinion.

The evo 7 is a fantastic car. full stop.

Regards Andy.
Old 11 January 2002, 06:43 PM
6 Speed Subaru Killer
Scooby Regular

BAH ! sti 7 which I have just put a deposit down for is just as good as the evo. Its horse's for course's! both cars are really great; personaly when i test drove the sti I loved it. Better thean the P1 in terms of cross ****ry pace. Better than my S3 in performance although there will all ways be a soft spot for the Audi great car!

They say that one of the critcisms about the sti is not the performance but the feed back. I loved it when I drove it, and when I take the cats off I hope to get about 290bhp reliable.

Got to say tho the best handling car I have ever drove still has to be the RB5 with prodive pack.

BTW im buyng an import
Old 11 January 2002, 06:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

"Theres a lot of ill informed crap being talked on here as usual!

You cant get a RELIABLE 330bhp+ from an evo 7 for £500. I spent £1000 on a full exhaust system, de-cat and induction kit on my evo 7- the car makes a good 300-310 bhp. I f u want 330 bhp - you have to spend £3000 plus."

The person you are accusing of talking crap [Sam] is someone who knows his onions and has had his car rolling roaded at 320bhp already on a conservative rolling road (which rates Scoobies at factory power or less than 10bhp above typically) after spending only £70 on a decat option. May I also point out that he modified his Scooby to one of the most powerful UK Scoobs considering he got his figures off the same conservative rolling road, and is someone who is capable of mapping his own ECUs. I don't think he'll have any trouble breaking 330bhp and I think you will be eating your words within a week when he gets his car on the rolling road in a week's time if the mods are done. Surely it can't cost £3000 to get another 10 BHP reliably? The ECU is mapped up to 1.4-1.5 bar according to Ralliart and Sam says his car is only holding 1.2 bar at present. Not too difficult to work out is it?

I am praising Evo 7's m8 and you slag me off? Puzzled but not offended
Old 11 January 2002, 08:12 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Question

Sam

Which RR have you used for your figures ?

What have Mitsubishi done to get such a massive increase in power and torque from the VII over the VI ?. It would seem with such a huge power hike the VII must make the VI feel like a 1.1 Metro, even with the extra weight.

Jonathan
Old 11 January 2002, 08:22 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

As far as I'm aware Sam uses Star Performance, who have the same sort of setup as Powerstation. The same place that my UK turbo got recorded at 218.5bhp recently.

I know of an Evo 6 up here who had a similar level of power with just an Exhaust change on an Evo VI, if memory serves he got 346bhp at the last RR day, and I'm fairly sure he hasn't spent £3k to get that.
Old 11 January 2002, 08:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

From what I have read which is possibly ill-informed the 6 has 0.95 bar held and the 7 about 1.2 but with a slightly different turbo setup. Ralliart cars apparantly have a titanium turbo and there is some debate over whether they change the odd restrictor here and there.

Only 40kg weight difference apparently and perhaps Sam was lucky on the day. Need to see if it is repeated I suppose. A lot of fairly standard Evos seem to get around 300bhp on the rollers. Maybe they are frankly lying about it having 276bhp? After all it has considerably more torque than the STi, especially the Type UK which is a bit embarrassing in the torque department frankly.
Old 11 January 2002, 08:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I can find three Evo results from Star to hand - Evo 5 with full system and panel filter 333.5bhp, 242 PAW, 312lbft. Evo 4 no details 296bhp, 205 PAW, 257lbft. Evo 6 full system and blitz induction 341.5bhp, 230.5 PAW, 257lbft.

On the same rollers on the same day Robertio's MY00 is 218.5bhp, 123.5 PAW, 221lbft.

Sam's MY99 VF23 FMIC Link Scooby was 323bhp, 229.5 PAW, 312lbft.

A P1 I think was 273.5bhp, 171.5PAW, 245lbft.

I also gather that Star stop the run when max PAW is reached which often makes the Norm Power figure conservative.

Now I am not a great believer in RR results, but Sam has a point - his Evo 7 and some earlier Evos seem to get similar results with not a lot done to them.

Could it be a feature of the rolling road which favours Evos? Maybe not - Evos on the dyno site with "minor" breathing mods seem to be well into the 300s.

Subaru have clearly lost the plot if they ever had it after the Evo got to version 5. My next car will likely be an Evo. I have been converted. Subaru no longer produce bargain performance cars when you compare what you get for your money. Even the UK Scoob does not look like a bargain any more when you think you can pay a quarter again and get at least a grey Evo 7, proper brakes and diffs, a decent engine that you can actually tune to some degree without replacing half the contents of the bonnet. Ok small fuel tank, crap exhaust note, but the Evo 7 even looks good.

Perhaps the new UK STi once decatted will prove to be quite capable, and things will be able to be pushed further?

[Edited by john banks - 1/11/2002 8:52:23 PM]
Old 11 January 2002, 08:51 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

I know from running the early dyno days at PE we had a std EVO VI vs a std STI V that whilst the EVO VI was more powerfull it was not by much.

http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk/other/evo6_vs_sti5_std.htm

Fitting a full Mongoose to the car and losing the cats resulted in this.

http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk/other/andreas_hallin.htm

An STI with the same mods is still not far behind the EVO VI

http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk/jap/darren_soothill.htm

So I still ask the question is the VII that much quicker than the VI ?. Ive driven back to back a VI when I had the STI V (proof can be found in EVO mag April 99). My STI was slightly quicker than the VI. What has Mitsubishi done to release the extra bhp over the VI ?

Jonathan
Old 11 January 2002, 08:58 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Mystery maybe. But Sam's unfettled car apart from a cat removal is running more boost.

The curve you show with comparison between Evo 6 and STi I think highlights how much better the Evo's engine is. Torque comes in earlier, and there is no point all over the curve where the STi has an advantage - except the old STis were lighter. Get a new one with 262 bhp and what is it 1470kg - oh dear.

[Edited by john banks - 1/11/2002 9:04:28 PM]

Quick Reply: UK EVO7 prices announced