ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The Filth and the Fury - police woes

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2007, 12:48 AM
CallumW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down The Filth and the Fury - police woes

As you may have gathered from the title ... I've been stopped by the police for ...... an illegal numberplate?

The plates are 6 years old and are the right size, font and spacing, but because it doesn't have a VRM blah de blah mark on it it's no longer legal?

Been given a ticket for a fine to be paid in 28 days. No points and no MOT stamp is required (i.e. revenue ticket)

Apparently a legislation was passed in September that all cars must have the mark shown on the plate so it can be read by the automatic numberplate recognition cameras.

Are there any members of the online Law Enforcers that can confirm what he was talking about as this could affect a lot of us on here?

Even though my car is not EU approved (Spec-C grey import) and is/was exempt to some of these rules (e.g. I could legally have a much smaller plate on the front), he said that it no longer matters and my car doesn't have the mark on the plate and therefore it's illegal and won't be read by the cameras

He also said my plate wasn't reflective ... which it ******* is
His car couldn't pick up the plate, but maybe because my car is dusty/dirty? Still easily human readable tho
I've been stop checked before and other Jam Sandwiches could read it fine?

Needless to say, I'm not a happy bunny

You may at this point be thinking "Wow. Supercop vision spotted no kite mark was visible on the numberplate as he passed by"

I was Stopped and asked "am I in a Hurry?"
"No" says I, "I'm just cruising towards home"
"What's that" says Bill, "You're late for something?"
"Nooooo" says I, "I said I'm just cruising home"
"Cruising? Really?" says Bill, "Don't worry, we have all the evidence on camera"
"eh?" says me.

If that was true then he's have a very nice bit of footage of me cruising at the speed limit for my 6 mile journey before they stopped me (don't know where they started following me)
Stupid Police trying to play their psychological mind games to make me go on the defensive.
Not ******* impressed

I kept my cool and was polite and chatty. Eventually he came round and said that a lot of scoobs being stolen at the moment and so he's stopping every one of them tonight.

So it's gone from Speeding (which didn't happen) to a fine for the numberplate (he only looked after I contested what he said) to a stop-check... but you're getting the fine anyway.

Have to say, I do try to abide by the law. I pay my taxes, am a decent human being, I even put wide numberplates on my car that restricts 50% airflow to my oil and transmission coolers, but still the people you pay to protect you come along and **** on you, just because they can and get away with it

Last edited by CallumW; 22 October 2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 22 October 2007, 12:59 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easier to pull people like you mate than catch real criminals.

Our PC bullsh1t government sees that the Police hands are tied when it comes to catching the real ba5tards out there, just incase they hurt or offend anyone.

Crime figures still have to be met i guess and thats where you come in.

Once again our rediculous law system and what sounds like a right jobsworth copper are clearly making our roads a safer place.
Old 22 October 2007, 01:07 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I think you need to do some reading PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice
Old 22 October 2007, 01:08 AM
CallumW
Scooby Regular

All these years I've been oblivious to my huge and clearly readable, yet unstamped numberplate and the devistating effect it must have had on other road users.

What a load of **** it really is
Old 22 October 2007, 01:15 AM
CallumW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I think you need to do some reading PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice
Ta
We love PePiPoo (not my first visit )
Old 22 October 2007, 04:05 AM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

Grrr, this makes me ANGRY!

I was driving through Ukraine earlier this year and got stopped and had to pay a bribe to the cops there for 'speeding' (I was barely doing 30, the 'motorway' was so badly potholed). You kind of expect that sort of stuff in poverty stricken former Soviet states - but cops fabricating lies like that in our so-called civilised country?

Makes me sick.
Old 22 October 2007, 06:43 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Smile

Lads .. Please . . .

. . .I'm not really sure what this thread is about, but it is a well known fact that ALL coppers are *******!!

. . .Cheers!
Old 22 October 2007, 07:00 AM
pumba
Scooby Regular

I got stopped the other day, Not specifically for number plates, but they did come up during the conversation!! My front one has a picture of a nice lady in not alot!!!! The nice policeman looked at it and said "nice picture", I said I know its not legal etc etc, but he said aslong as the numbers/letters are legal then he wasnt worried!!!!!

There are some nice ones out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!1
Old 22 October 2007, 08:18 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He obviously pulled you because his ANPR system couldnt read your plate which is fair enough because you'ed be well happy if your car had been nicked but to be fair I doubt the robbing c**t would have stopped for mr Plod..

Its a bit harsh of him to issue the fine if your plate is legally spaced and not obscured, I'm pretty sure the legislation does not force owners of older cars to purchase new style plates that would just be fooking stupid!
Old 22 October 2007, 08:22 AM
Geoteds2002
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
Lads .. Please . . .

. . .I'm not really sure what this thread is about, but it is a well known fact that ALL coppers are *******!!

. . .Cheers!
bit harsh!!
Old 22 October 2007, 08:32 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

My plate is legal but sourced from one of the off shore companies that make plates. So much easier getting a nice nwq plate delivered through the post without the hassle of taking in all your docs. Will have to change it at a cost of £30
Old 22 October 2007, 09:00 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

I'll send you an E marked plate for a tenner inc postage bud
Old 22 October 2007, 09:42 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Its not the E marking thats the issue, the plates must have a Postcode and company name now.
Old 22 October 2007, 11:29 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are new plated chipped or something then?

Whats the deal?
Old 22 October 2007, 11:38 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

WRX300MAN..... that was firm, but very fair
Old 22 October 2007, 02:31 PM
Horrid Cars
Scooby Regular

Lads .. Please . . .

. . .Cheers!
Thete not all *******...there all ****ing *******.
Old 22 October 2007, 03:03 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

I got stoped by plod for the same sort of thing, but as he invited me to join him in his patrol car I noticed there was no kite mark on his front nunber plate, so I let him rabbit on a bit and start to write the ticket whereupon I asked if his companion in the front passenger seat would give HIM, the driver, a ticket for the same thing. Consternation ensued while we all got out to have a look at the patrol car's plates whereupon he said, "Fair cop, mind how you go!"

As for cops being w*nkers . . .

During the Henley Regatta last year when it can take two hours to get into the town, I saw a bikeplod pull a young chap in a blue WRX. I was standing on the pavement as the shaven headed bikeplod thug [why do they think this looks cool??] says to the driver, "I can't read your number plate".

Not surprising perhaps since the rear plate was on the back parcel shelf being held up by a young lady passenger and may hyave been obscured by the spoiler. Similarly, the front number plate was propped up in the front windscreen by the front seat passenger.

The young driver explained that while the car had been parked in the town's station car park as he waited for his friends to arrive by train, someone had stolen the front and rear number plates as evidenced by the remains of the double-sided tape front and rear.

The driver had reported the theft to the police by telephone and had a crime number.

He had left the car parked in the station, got a friend to take him home to get his documents, queued to get back into the town, gone to the parts shop for the new plates as evidenced by the time and date on the receipt, and was now drving his car home to clean up the mounting points and affix the new plates.

"I don't care" says bike plod, "You're getting a ticket."

At this point I intervened - being of senior years - and explained I had some masking tape in my car parked nearby and could affix the number plates temporarily so the lad, a victim of a crime who had done all and more that might reasonably be expected of him in the circumstances to stay legal, could get home.

"It's none of your business" says bikeplod thug and then proceeds to try and wind up the young guy in a very confrontational manner. Thankfully he stayed cool and just took the ticket whilst I got the tape and fixed the plate.

I reported bikeplod thug and there was a full enquiry with a disciplinary caution put on his record. Unfortunately, because the young driver just paid the fine without complaint, Thames Valley Police could not/would not cancel the penalty.

So there is at least one bikeplod in the TVP who is a complete and utter little ****. Trouble is, I suspect he is not alone. Commonsense in the police seems to have gone out of the window as they now have ticketing targets to achieve on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
Old 22 October 2007, 04:11 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CallumW
As you may have gathered from the title ... I've been stopped by the police for ...... an illegal numberplate?

The plates are 6 years old and are the right size, font and spacing, but because it doesn't have a VRM blah de blah mark on it it's no longer legal?

Been given a ticket for a fine to be paid in 28 days. No points and no MOT stamp is required (i.e. revenue ticket)

you may at this point be thinking "Wow. Supercop vision spotted no kite mark was visible on the numberplate as he passed by"

So it's gone from Speeding (which didn't happen) to a fine for the numberplate (he only looked after I contested what he said) to a stop-check... but you're getting the fine anyway.

Depends on if "Regulations 14 and 14A " which were ammneded last year and the year before can apply the law retrospectively, which I very much doubt,

Surely any law change which is retrospective "Everyone" would have to be notified.

looks like you met Mr R sole and trying to "find" something to justify stopping you
Most plod likes fixed penalty as even if they now there is no case to answer most peeps take the soft option to pay it IMHO

A either fight it and might find higher Fine or accept it

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ation-14a.html

Tony
Old 22 October 2007, 04:15 PM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

The 14a information is now on the DVLA flyer on their website so no poking around in dark corners to find it now

Obviously the Police don't have the time to read the current rules that they are paid to enforce!!

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/lea...mberplates.pdf

Last edited by amahrap; 22 October 2007 at 04:17 PM. Reason: web link added
Old 22 October 2007, 05:15 PM
Tissy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Horrid Cars
Thete not all *******...there all ****ing *******.
And people like you and WRX300MAN are soooo much better aren't you ??

Grow up you children !!
Old 22 October 2007, 06:50 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

was discussing the problem of using standard plates with regards to intercoolers etc airflow etc. could you put a hinged plate so if your going for it the plate will lift but ambling around town it would be hung dont know if it would be frowned upon
Old 22 October 2007, 07:32 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

Lads .. Please . . .

. . .Cheers!
cor mate dont beat around the bush.....PMSL
Old 22 October 2007, 07:47 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matttp1
was discussing the problem of using standard plates with regards to intercoolers etc airflow etc. could you put a hinged plate so if your going for it the plate will lift but ambling around town it would be hung dont know if it would be frowned upon
In other words when your above the speed limit (going for it) the reg plate is obscured... Not to convinced plod would be too happy

I have been pulled over a lot, once for cutting up a copper and second time for lifting the rear wheel wound a round about when there was a copper on the side of the exit (no i didn't see him).

Worst I have had is producers and once an official warning (pink slip) but that was for the three wheeling incident! They can't be all bad!
Old 22 October 2007, 07:54 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matttp1
Ha, Mr Bond. Your revolving numberplates cannot fool us here at SPECTRE!
Old 22 October 2007, 08:25 PM
stringostar
Scooby Regular

last wednesday i had a fine day with the law! half 4 in the morning and i gets stopped by a panda in wakefield city centre... you done nowt wrong mate he said, just gimme your name, to which i did. he said its ok, you can go, just checking scoobs as the robberies taking place at the minute involve the use of scoobs.. that copper was one of the good ones

secondly, on way home from work (arriva, as a driver), VOSA pulled me... routine spot check on modified cars... he advised me on my nsr tyre (to 2 mm) and an illegal sunstrip in the windscreen... i removed it, cos the VOSA chap comes to work to MOT the busses, and said if he saw my car without sunstip removed, i would get 3 points and 30 pound fine!!

so.. not all off the law are wankors! some are ok!

andy
Old 22 October 2007, 10:07 PM
CallumW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
He obviously pulled you because his ANPR system couldnt read your plate which is fair enough because you'ed be well happy if your car had been nicked
To be honest I don't care. It's a weekend car and I keep no valuables in it, so insurance would cover it (more important things in life etc...)

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Its a bit harsh of him to issue the fine if your plate is legally spaced and not obscured, I'm pretty sure the legislation does not force owners of older cars to purchase new style plates that would just be fooking stupid!
The car is 11 months old and I transferred the plates from my old Sierra to the Scoob just after I picked it up

The thing that got me was that he said that if you get 2 of these fines (or was it 3?) then the DVLA will nullify your plate and issue you a Q plate instead

Last edited by CallumW; 22 October 2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 23 October 2007, 12:21 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

This is "The" law

Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 561

so looks like kite make has to be displayed

Tony
Old 23 October 2007, 08:35 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

I was coming back from Scotland in our Jag when I came accross a long straight bit of road with no turnings and no traffic coming towards me. I gave it some beans and we passed the entire string of cars in front of us. Just as I pulled back in I noticed a police Impreza stick its nose into the road. I slowed down and he pulled me. Clocked me at an average of 93mph (good job it wasnt with a gun, the Jags a 4 litre supercharged XJR so with an average of 90+ I shudder to think what peak I hit).

He was a good bloke. After he pulled out behind me I went round a blind crest so he couldnt see me and there was a turning ont he left. I asked him what would have happened if Id have clogged it and dissapeared down the turning, i.e. tried doing a runner. He just said he knew the roads round the area like the back of his hand and hed most probably have caught me,. I asked what would have happened if he caught me trying to do a runner (not full on Police Camera stuff of course) and he said nothing, same speeding ticket, it would just make the whole thing less routine and more fun!
Old 23 October 2007, 09:07 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
Are new plated chipped or something then?

Whats the deal?
Nope, just a specific font that is designed to be easy on the ANPR systems. They also must be marked with the postcode and name of the supplier to help prevent "fraud".. <cough>.

To be honest I don't care. It's a weekend car and I keep no valuables in it, so insurance would cover it (more important things in life etc...)
I care, would be nice for the police to have atleast a minor chance to detect a stolen car and maybe recover it before it causes and accident/kills someone and maybe if we are REALLLY luck catch a criminal (although I doubt the latter )..
Old 23 October 2007, 09:08 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

The car is 11 months old and I transferred the plates from my old Sierra to the Scoob just after I picked it up

The thing that got me was that he said that if you get 2 of these fines (or was it 3?) then the DVLA will nullify your plate and issue you a Q plate instead
There you go then... he had every right to stop you if the car is that new. Tough luck im afraid.

Quick Reply: The Filth and the Fury - police woes