Sponsored by:

P1 Prices in Lieu of STi6 Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2002, 01:39 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I dont want this to get nasty with the ususal people saying they were shafted, but I was talking to a dealer who was saying that P1 prices will drop quickly due to the STi6 Being so good and so £26k. Basically a 1-2 year old P1 at 27K looks expensive comparied to a new STI6 at £26k. Ok the P1 is limited edition, but there seem to be enough about to satisfy demand.

For instanc Listers have 2 at just under 25k with 20,000 miles. Now I would imagine that they will go for less????? and the ones that are above 25k will need to drop as well??

The reason that I ask is that I want a P1 (I just do OK!) and almost got one a month ago (24k with 7k miles). If I could get one for £22ish with <20k miles I would be a happy bunny. Do you think this is reasonable within a month or two???

Old 10 January 2002, 01:47 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I dont think P1 prices will take a much bigger hit. They have already plummeted and dealers will stuggle to sell them at those prices. Remember, something is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it.. The sti 7 does look like a bit of a bargain, but no one knows yet how good it really is. There will always be a following for the classic shape impreza, and until the sti 7 is proven to be a better car and better value, I think the P1 will stay at teh over inflated price it sits at now.
Old 10 January 2002, 02:04 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Adam, drive an STI7 and you will be hooked! I drove one and found the power and handling to much better than say a P1 and the 6 speed box is really smooth.

It will be next car!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam
Old 10 January 2002, 02:14 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Anyone else driven both.

Mag reports I've read suggest P1 one is where its at. Weighs a darn site less and more powerful for starters. Engine supposed to have more low end grunt as well.

Had a WRX bug eye for the day whilst P1 was in the shop. I was very glad to get the P1 back. Reminded me of why I preferred my old MY00 over the WRX. WRX is nice and comfy but too floaty and lacking any sort of steering feel. It was also darn slow. Mind you to be fair P1 is also much better than MY00.
Old 10 January 2002, 03:11 PM
eliot
Scooby Regular

Wilson's in Chadwell Heath have just had a P1 with 7000 miles for £24K - I was very tempted but would rather wait for the new STi.

Just a personal opinion.

Eliot
Old 10 January 2002, 03:30 PM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

I picked up my P1 just before Christmas from a Main Dealer
I paid £23,750 & it has 7500 miles on it !
Suffice to say I am a very happy bunny
Old 10 January 2002, 03:39 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Gulp! I wonder how much a Y reg 2001 with 6k on is worth then?
Probably a lot less than I paid for sure!
Old 10 January 2002, 03:53 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

I was speaking to a dealer recently and he said that the last P1 that went through their showroom was, a 2001, with around 7k on the clock and that sold for £25k - November time.

It seems that even the dealers have a large difference of opinion about how much they are worth. TH White, a local dealer has a W plate with 15k, and it is in the showroom for £28k - hopeful is not the word!! It has been there a while (like 3 months!), so I'm not sure if they are holding out on the price, or have had no offers, but strikes me as odd.

Matt
Old 10 January 2002, 03:57 PM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Having said what i did about the price i got mine for
I called several dealers in my local area & was quoted prices between £28 & 29 grand
I travelled 2 hours to buy mine but the saving made it worth it !
The moral of the story is not to shop in London or Surrey !
Old 10 January 2002, 04:11 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Fullham71 Sounds like the one I was after CD Bramall in Cheltenham? That had 7.5k on it.

The one from TH Whites went for £25k and a Bit, they were the dealer I was talking too.
Old 10 January 2002, 04:14 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Sorry GT, hadn't realised it had gone - haven't been across for a while, although mine is in for a 45k service on Monday (which is roughly the same as it costs to but a P1)

Matt
Old 10 January 2002, 04:15 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Got my P1 with pro-drive upgraded brakes and magnex exhaust for #@%22.5k from a dealer. It had 23k miles on it. Shall we say i was rather pleased with myself since i got it from Ralliart who certainly didn't want it on their forecourt for potential EVO buyers to try!
Old 10 January 2002, 06:30 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Arrow

Even thought the new sti7 uk spec will be circa 26k, what every1 seems to be forgetting is that the car is underpowered to a P1. To get near the power levels you will have to get a ppp, if subaru are offering such a package, or a proper prodrive edition, which comes complete with tall spoiler and engine mods, dont quote me as i not following bug eye news much. And as these packages wont be free i would imagine that a second hand P1 would look cheap in comparison. Especially as the P1 will be more exclusive, better looking, prob quicker and would have lost its biggest drop in depreciation already.
Old 10 January 2002, 06:33 PM
Type uk
Scooby Newbie

The STI7 has a much smoother and what feels to be a much quicker power delivery, which I think is due to the vatiable valve timming.
teh car I drove was a jap import so it is supposedly 20 bhp up on the Uk model. However as most of us seem to do the one the downpipe and exhaust are changed I think that the UK car will be a bit of an animal.

Handling wise the new WRX/STI chassis is incredable it combines the grip levels of the old shape car but has greater driver feedback and understeer is not the problem it used to be.

Like I said My next car, shame i'm skint

Sam
Old 10 January 2002, 06:35 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I think both cars will do well. There are plenty on this forum on both sides - those who will want the new car and those who would rather have the P1. Hopefully there is enough between the two models to distinguish them.

What is perhaps more to the point is the affect on WRX values. I cannot see how punters are going to keep paying top prices for the WRX or PPP cars with the new model out which offers the same but better. And what about the poor sods with the UK300?
Old 10 January 2002, 07:00 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Doesnt matter how good a P1 is - better or worse than the STI Uk, the fact remains its an OLD MODEL. Buy the car from the dealer and then ring them the next day and see how much he'll pay to have it back!!

Im afraid people have got to start getting realistic. Whilst the P1 is a cracker - in 2 years time who is going to want one - they wont be holding their value then when a nice PPP'd and re-shaped STI 8 UK is sitting in the showrooms!!

Buying a P1 now is money down the toilet however good it is!!!

I've said all along - price it the same as the WRX and it's worth it - but not these ridiculous prices the dealers are asking.

They are trying to keep residuals high!!

Jza
Old 10 January 2002, 08:53 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

I'd have to agree with the dealer that talked to Grand Turismo. Why anyone would pay £26k for a P1 which is basically 2 years old now is beyond me. The car is worth more like £21k.

Unlike some on here I have owned both the P1 and a UK300 PPP. Where the UK300 lost out to the P1, the STI UK addresses it.

Its not all about power - power is nothing without control.

The STI UK has got a much stiffer chassis
Front Suretrack Diff
6 speed box
Brembo brakes as std

All for 26k

The P1 got through the old emmisions test, the new one doesnt. The new STI therfore is loaded with additional cats. As others have said - a couple of exhaust mods will release some more power whilst still leaving the car legal.

If Prodrive add a PPP for the usuall £1.6k the car will still cost £4k less than the P1 did, and with the additional features.

So you will have a car that looks better, goes better, brakes better and handles better.

Unless the P1 is really cheap your better off spending the money on the better STI UK. 21k tops for a P1 should really be a reality now. The P1 was a great car in its day, and its in my top 3 cars owned but let it retire with grace and dignity and dont try and make it something it isnt.

Jonathan
Old 10 January 2002, 09:03 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

Having driven both the STI 7 (import) and the P1, I struggle to decude which is nicer.

If I had the money I think I would go for the STI 7 (import not UK ) but I would be umming and arring for a while over it LOL

Michelle
Old 10 January 2002, 09:10 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Right my 2p worth now.... Wait until more P1's are out of the dealer network. At the moment the bottom price for a low mileage P1 at a dealer is around £24k, yet dealers aren't bidding more than £20k for the same car. Over christmas, there were two private sale P1's at £22k one with extras (big brakes etc) and one with lower mileage. Higher mileage cars are cheaper still - witness the £19995 car at Tiley's on 49k. Now there is only usually a finite spread of car prices between low and high mileage cars, and Tiley's probably paid £17k or less for that car so expect £15k bids to be a reality on higher mileage soon. By Spring I thing that low mileage P1's will be around £20k. Remember EU STI's can be had from £22k, so why spend more on an older car. You might have good reason for wanting a P1, but the car trade will see it differently, and P1's will be (even) cheaper soon.

Jon
Old 10 January 2002, 09:11 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I would drive both and see which you prefer. Its only money , the funny thing is like it been said but the other way round by an STi UK and ring the dealer back the next day and see how much they will give. You lose the VAT straight away . In 2 years time how much is you out of date STi UK going to be worth. It swings and runbabouts, we all get screwed come part ex/resale just live with it and if you are still worried about depreciation buy a fiesta, I brought a brand new one for 5.5K a few months back as a 5 year plan run around and after 5 years I bet I can get 2.5K for it . My scoob has lost more than the cost of the fiesta in a year .
Old 10 January 2002, 09:26 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

all these people who knock the P1
all these peole who say how much they " should " be.

yes you can buy one with 49000 miles on it for 20k but that doesnt mean that my 1 year old with 8k on it is only worth 20k

there must be something about the car for you lot to keep going on and on about it

pete
Old 10 January 2002, 09:29 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Pete, no offence mate, yours is worth over 40k anyway , but ask a non subaru dealer just how much they will give on a P1.

Jon
Old 10 January 2002, 09:48 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Chrisp

You are right that if people buying an STI UK phone the dealer a couple of months later they too will lose money. Only answer buy an M3. Dealers want to pay me more than it cost me No VAT loss there then.

Your also right to say buy the car that you really want, not the one that makes the best financial sense.

I lost a shed load on my P1 but dont regret for one minute owning it. But trade prices for a two year old P1 with average miles are nicely under 20k now. Arron only got about 21k for his with the mods.

Jonathan
Old 10 January 2002, 09:49 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

Wink

why don't i ask woolworths how much they will give me for it then you can all say that P1's are only worth £5 and when are we all going to realise it!!!!!!!!!(wink ( cant do smilies))
Old 10 January 2002, 10:00 PM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Chins are you near Hampton Court ?
thought i might have met you ?
Old 10 January 2002, 10:09 PM
Brad
Scooby Regular

Im sorry every one, I would not sell my P1 for 30k if everybody held on to there cars the prices would not drop.How can you put these two cars in the same group even, just stand back and look at new bog eyed pig ugly.Drive down the road in a P1 everyones lookin,young kids old blokes the lot.Just my opinion .Brad
Old 10 January 2002, 10:11 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Fulham

Home Counties not Hampton.

Cheers

Jonathan
Old 10 January 2002, 10:20 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Chins -- only reason you'll get more for the M3 than you paid is because there's a waiting list and people will pay to skip it. You should have seen how much new Morgans went for when the waiting list was 7 years!

However, I agree with you. STi UK vs P1 has got to be decided in the new model's favour. If you could get a P1 for 18k it would be a different matter, but the STi UK is something like 23.5k on import through Ian Litchfield IIRC. I don't even like bugeyes and I'm tempted.
Old 10 January 2002, 10:20 PM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

you didnt sell me a set of wheels & back box then ?
Old 11 January 2002, 12:02 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally posted by P1Fanatic:
Oh and wilst were on the subjest of M3's - if they are so short in supply in the Uk how come u can get a quote from any importer for under £34k delivered, 1/2 price accessories and a 2 year warranty????
Have you seen the delivery timescales that they're quoting? Go and look again.

Originally posted by P1Fanatic:
The argument over Sti imports is a non starter - the P1 is a uk only, 1000 car ltd edition.
The 'Prodrive Style' is also allegedly a limited edition.

Quick Reply: P1 Prices in Lieu of STi6 Announcement