What do you do when you want a deal??

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2002, 09:00 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Ok I'll explain what I mean.

Lets say you want something in the for sale section, you come to a decision on price and obviously 1 person wants to be paid and 1 person wants to receive there new toy.

When any of you have bought bits in the past how do you know you are going to receive what you have paid for.

Myself and probably others really dont want to part with there money to someone they dont know even know.

You see its pretty hard meeting up to do the deal if the other person lives on the other side of the country.

How do you all get on with this sort of thing, cos I personally dont trust people I havent met before.

I hope you understand where im coming from.

SCOBY
Old 09 January 2002, 09:12 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

i have bought at least three times from this bbs

i always send my cheque as i am sure you can trust 99% of the people on here

most people will then forward the goods without waiting for clearance as they will trust you if you have gone to the effort to post the cheque

i have sold several times too

hope this helps

pete
Old 09 January 2002, 09:16 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scoby - you just sometimes have to trust people - obviously it depends on the price, and who is involved.

I have just bought a KN filter of Jolly Green Monster for £24 including postage. Simon has sent this up to me, and has never met me. However I am sending him the cheque down tomorrow.

What makes this easier is the amount involved, and the fact that JGM and myself are Scoobynet regulars. I like to think I have a good standing in the community and would never jeopordise (sp?) it for something like money. Now if you were paying £400 to someone who had been on the board 2 days it would be different.

The world is a harsh place, but not everyone is bad.

DW
Old 09 January 2002, 09:17 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

I haven't seen any posts to suggest that people have been ripped off on here and my experience has been good. That said, I'm about to do another deal on trust but it's always in the back of your mind that something may go wrong ("I did send it to you, honest guvnor").

F
Old 09 January 2002, 09:17 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

ive bought stuff twice on the bbs now

Once where i collected and payed (local sale)
&
Once where i offered to send the cheque first but third party insisted he trusted a fellow scoobynetter and sent the goods first.
Depends on the person who is selling or buying i suppose, id like to think i can trust fellow scoobynetters also, but remember.. once bitten twice shy and all that!

chris
Old 09 January 2002, 10:06 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Hope you're not referring to me Scoby??
Old 09 January 2002, 10:15 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I know how you feel.

Pay by cheque, even if you cannot cancel it once it been cashed, the person can still be traced by their bank account. Get a home telephone number too, not a mobile.

I bought my entire Scoobysport system of this site having viewed it first. There was a lot of trust between me and a seller and it worked well.

Hope to see you tomorrow,

Ed.
Old 09 January 2002, 10:16 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

To be honest I would only really buy something either :

a) Cheap (so if its goes pair shaped so what)
b) Off someone I know personally
c) Off someone I know, who knows them
d) Been on the BB a long time and has a good reputation ie. unlikely to rip someone off
e) Or at a meet where goods and cash can be exchanged

I do tend to trust people and as long as its not for a huge amount I am not too worried.
Old 09 January 2002, 10:26 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

The people I have done deals with (BURR) have been really cool about it and after speaking to them you can get a feeling of what they are like.

But this obviously runs through peoples minds, so its made me feel better knowing this, and best of all you lot are making me see the light

***PING*** Sorry just lost it again, think I may need a few more sessions and I'll be cured.

Burr have you put it in the car yet??

Cirsch See you there ;0
SCOBY
Old 09 January 2002, 11:16 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Yeah - its in the car and its working fine, although I'm not 100% the ECU speed pinout is correct (although every diagram I've seen says it is) - but yeah - fine thanks
Old 09 January 2002, 11:27 PM
Great~taste~Bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Try getting a photo with a digital camera sent over. I have purchased two items via the board and been ripped off 0 times!
Trust worthy yes but you can never ask enough questions about what you are buying.
Matthew
Old 10 January 2002, 11:57 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

I've both brought & sold via scooby net adds and never had a problem. Buying I sent a chq & goods arrived, selling I get chq ist and send goods. I'ts down to trust like its already been said

cheers simon
Old 01 September 2002, 09:14 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

In the end it has to come down to trust, I have both bought and sold stuff through Scoobynet and have never had any problems. The party doing the buying sends a cheque, and either upon receipt, or upon clearance of the cheque the goods are sent in the other direction.

I must admit that I would not be willing to buy something from someone who was selling something as their first ever post. Generally if the person has been around for a few months, and has amassed a few posts they will know other board members, so you can always find out where they live and, send the hitman around if they don't send the stuff

Edited having checked my cheque and changed it from check to cheque

[Edited by Robertio - 1/9/2002 9:15:33 PM]