Sponsored by:

Bugeye V Blobeye

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2007, 06:36 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye V Blobeye

Hi guys, i currently have a 05wrx but might want to upgrade to an sti for a better starting point to do a little tuning,
so i would like to know from people who have had both a bugeye sti and a blobeye sti and which they thought was better in terms of handling, power, overall opinion of them both. cant decide on which i might prefer?

i dont know wether it would be better for me to keep tuning my wrx and then get bored and buy a sti or stop now and just buy an sti and then going on to tune that. (i know which would probarbly be cheaper but im unsure)

any opnions would be great guys
Old 10 October 2007, 08:12 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

I cant help with the bug eye blob eye arguement,but i had a 03 wrx which i started to spend money on.I drove a mates standard sti and then traded my wrx for a sti.To me the sti was a far better platform to work from.I used the sti for commuting for 2 years plus and found it no worse in any department than the wrx.Done loads of bits and bobs to it now even though i dont use it now as much as i should do due to a career change.For me the sti is a far better car that you dont have to spend a fortune on to make a really nice car.JAY
Old 10 October 2007, 08:21 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Just a view on the cosmetics really the running gear is the same. It is only on the hawkeye that things take a turn for the better with the 2.5 engine.
Old 10 October 2007, 08:32 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
Just a view on the cosmetics really the running gear is the same. It is only on the hawkeye that things take a turn for the better with the 2.5 engine.
But the question is do they take a turn for the better with the 2.5.Mine is a 2.0 litre and was mapped by tsl and the power delivery is just right,almost like a powerful asperated engine.I test drove a 2.5 sti when they first came out and much prefered my 2.0 litre power plant,Just my opinion.JAY
Old 11 October 2007, 11:38 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Buy the newest you can afford. There are subtle changes through the year, but with the 05 being the pinacle.
Old 11 October 2007, 12:17 PM
Panthro
Scooby Regular

You can save a lot buying a bugeye over a blobeye. By going for an 02 plate or late model bugeye STI for example, you can save around 2.5k - 3k for the car being 1 year older and looking different. Mechanically they are the same AFAIK. Personally I like the look of the Prodrive bugeye and you dont see as many of them compared to the blobeye.
Old 11 October 2007, 02:07 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 360ste
DOH!
Why is it for the better?
Please explain.
Also, why do they still prefer the 2.0l in Japan (where they're manufactured)?

Last edited by coolangatta; 11 October 2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11 October 2007, 02:45 PM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Panthro
You can save a lot buying a bugeye over a blobeye. By going for an 02 plate or late model bugeye STI for example, you can save around 2.5k - 3k for the car being 1 year older and looking different. Mechanically they are the same AFAIK. Personally I like the look of the Prodrive bugeye and you dont see as many of them compared to the blobeye.
I agree. I think the Prodrive bugeye is about the best looking Impreza - which is amazing since the wrx bugeye is about the worst. But I am biased.....
Old 11 October 2007, 06:02 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nolan_WRX
Hi guys, i currently have a 05wrx but might want to upgrade to an sti for a better starting point to do a little tuning,
so i would like to know from people who have had both a bugeye sti and a blobeye sti and which they thought was better in terms of handling, power, overall opinion of them both. cant decide on which i might prefer?
Surely this comes down to how 'little' the tuning is that you want to do? Remember there is only about 40hp difference between the standard WRX and STI. If you spend the same money upgrading on either the difference seems to remain. Are you that bothered that you want to pay £x to change your current car, lose what you have spent on the mods already, all for the benefit of only an extra 40hp? If you are looking for 400+hp then this might make sense, but if your target is only say 315hp then you can get that in your WRX from Powerstation for £2300 + vat from standard anyway! (Probably less for you because of the mods you've done already!)

I would eventually like to increase the power of my Impreza, but i'm only looking for 300hp, so the WRX (which i'm currently happy with anyway) is more than enough to enable me to reach my target.

Nice WRX by the way!
Old 11 October 2007, 06:56 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

If I could live my time again, I would have got an older STi as opposed to a newer WRX. It's not just the power output, there are so many differences in the STi which make it a lot more cost effective to make it the road monster you'll probably want it to be.
Old 11 October 2007, 07:37 PM
WRX101
Scooby Regular

That's a very nice WRX you've got there mate, I wouldn't change to an STi unless like Flaps says, you're wanting very big bhp figures or want the Yaw control system that the STi's have for handling. Other wise it's a lot of time and effort and probably isn't worth it IMO.
Old 11 October 2007, 07:50 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coolangatta
DOH!
Why is it for the better?
Please explain.
Also, why do they still prefer the 2.0l in Japan (where they're manufactured)?
1 word Torque.

If you put a 2.5 in a classic it would be truely mean. The hawkeye is heavier than the classic of course but can be tuned for next to nothing to pull like a monster. You get power spread better across the engine compared to the 2.0ltr. You basically have more before the turbo comes into play.

The 2.0ltr can be tuned more easily to higher BHP levels though I believe?
Old 11 October 2007, 07:51 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bugeye STI Prodrive edition....

Well, i would say that