Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gasser

is there any thing that needs covering up
Old 13 December 2000, 06:01 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

I have always found that every single alloy component, from nut to head goes horrible and oidizes after steam cleaning. The engine bay (after a salty road trip) can look like the bathroom after the missus has used too much talc! The thin film of naturally occuring oil and protective wax from the factory is nicer, just my humble opinion.
Old 13 December 2000, 09:14 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

The engine is coated with a protective layer of stuff (technical term)... steam cleaning it off isn't necessarily a great idea.
Old 13 December 2000, 09:53 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

The so called "protective" layer is cosomoline. When the car is shipped from Japan the whole car is sprayed with it.

What does it protect...nothing! Since when have u seen alloy rust or engine blocks rot? These bits will outlast the life of the car by far.

The cosmoline is a dirt magnet and in my opinion should be removed. There is a correct way to remove and then to re-protect the engine bay and keep looking that way.

What I use to clean is harmless and a naturual solvent (dilimoleen...from the rinds of citrus fruits) and the protection afterwards..trade secret...my own brew.

In the concours world an engine bay must be as well prepared as the rest of the car..that means SPOTLESSLY CLEAN.
Old 13 December 2000, 10:18 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Mike

What is dilimoleen and where can you buy it?
Old 13 December 2000, 11:31 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Stratman:

Just contact the Wax Wizard

Mark, will email when i get a moment, must keep that sheen

B

Old 14 December 2000, 12:39 AM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Best I give it a try then Mark - 10 minutes I can afford!! You have email.
Old 14 December 2000, 12:52 AM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

I have to agree, steam cleaning an engine yourself ain't a good idea. Best left to the professionals.
Old 14 December 2000, 12:54 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

My underbonnet maintenance.....open bonnet. Check oil, water etc. Slam bonnet shut. Go for drive and listen to SS exhaust (Pete C, another shameless plug for your exhaust, if I don't get a BIG discount next time I come and spend money with you there will be trouble... )
Old 14 December 2000, 09:08 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I would be very careful when steaming an engine bay, if really necessary as I am sure this led to problems with my alarm.

Cheers,

Mossman
Old 14 December 2000, 09:42 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Yes, never steam clean without protecting alarm.

One of the best earners for my mate is trying to fix steam cleaned alarm systems.
They do not like steam! I mean would you steam clean you stereo!?

robski
Old 14 December 2000, 09:48 AM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Mark,

The point I was trying to make (not clearly!) is that once you have removed all the oil, cosomolene etc alloy will oxidize. Of course it won't 'hole' and fall apart, it will just look awful, nuts and bolts get stuck through lack of lubrication, alarms malfunction etc.

It seems you make a simple choice - steam clean and then polish your engine once a week in the winter to keep it tidy, or don't bother. I haven't got the time to spend a day getting my engine bay up to concours condition for it only to be covered in crud/salt the next day.

I bought the car to use the engine - not to look at it!

Moss
Old 14 December 2000, 11:21 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Moss

My dear fellow...steam clean is using hot water (boiling) under pressure. This is dangerous and yes the steam and high pressure will or may cause problems.

Once an engine bay has been cleaned its very easy to keep clean an should take no more than 5 minutes every now and then.

If an engine bay has been properly prepared (for me around 30 minutes max) you will get no corrosion providing you apply some protection and reapply say every six months. A mere 10 minute job.

Dilimoleen is an extract made from citrus rind and is a natural solvent. We will be lauching a new range of paint cleansers in the new year based on this product. Be a natural solvent it IS VERY SAFE AND NON TOXIC. Once the dilimoleen has had time to act it merely needs a trigger gun on the end of a hose to wash off and rinse. Typical domestic hoses with a trigger gun produce a pressure of around 100psi. I in fact use a cold water hobby pressure cleaner with the presuure regulator "detuned" from 900psi to 500psi. A TYPICAL STEAM CLEANER OPERATES AT 1500PSI TO 2200PSI.

If u need an article on engine bay cleaning you merely have to email me and its your FOC.This will provide many details and hints and tips for the DIYer.

Me I have my method and have as yet had not one single problem in cleaning engine bays and that includes all the Subaru's I have performed the Full Monty on.

One peicew of advice here is to make sure that the engine is at normal operating temperature and is left running whilst performing this operation.

If you like to see a demo on a dirty Subaru engine, please hollor and I'll oblige.
Old 14 December 2000, 01:05 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Moss (Pete)

I have replied to your email with an attachment.