Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Price for New WRX? + are all car dealers annoying?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2007, 12:18 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Price for New WRX? + are all car dealers annoying?

Can anyone point me in the direction of the best deal on an import WRX 2007?

I have just phoned one agent but was put off by the following:

Me: Finance over 3 years?
Them: £430 a month
Me: Whats the Apr
Them: 4.5%
Me: Wow 4.5% APR are you sure? (knowing that it wasn't), whats the APR?
Them: we dont use APR its what we call 4.5% flat rate
Me: Whats the APR?
Them: we dont use APR we call it 4.5% flat rate
Me: Whats the APR?
Them: we dont quote APR but probably about double 8.5% ???

Why do car dealers always try to trick people I am sure some people must fall for this 4.5% flat rate crap, it always gets my back up when car dealers do it and wont tell you the APR (I am sure they legally have to).

Anyway whos got the best price for an Import WRX before they change to the ugly new shape!!!
Old 21 September 2007, 12:28 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I've seen £14K (presumably plus fees) and £15K (on the road) advertised on-line. Seen a few via google. Cannot reccomend any though.

And yes nearly all dealers are arseholes.

The time you find a good honest one, you go back to find they have left....Usually for being too honest, or so good at selling they've moved onwards and upwards, leaving the usual goal-focussed slimebags still selling on the forecourt
Old 21 September 2007, 01:52 PM
mrsteve
Scooby Regular

some dealers quote flat rate as they assume you have no intention of owning the car.

I.E. you would pay 4.5% interest over 3 years, however if you were to pay off the lump of finance at the end they would slap the other 4% on etc. Also you can be caught out with this if you want to pay it off early, its not counted as an early settlement fee because its in the small print of the finance.

The dealer will usually give you if you ask a figure for cancelling half way through the term. 8.5% from a dealer is good tho, could get better from a bank tho, maybe northern rock lol

www.allbrandsnew.com have new 57 plate 2.5wrx's at 14k otr which is what im currently investigating, I cant recommend them but i have had some decent replies from people on here. bare in mind, no alarm system/tracker no side airbags (tho you have no side impact protection anyway).

gd luck
Old 21 September 2007, 02:56 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrsteve
some dealers quote flat rate as they assume you have no intention of owning the car.

I.E. you would pay 4.5% interest over 3 years, however if you were to pay off the lump of finance at the end they would slap the other 4% on etc. Also you can be caught out with this if you want to pay it off early, its not counted as an early settlement fee because its in the small print of the finance.

The dealer will usually give you if you ask a figure for cancelling half way through the term. 8.5% from a dealer is good tho, could get better from a bank tho, maybe northern rock lol

www.allbrandsnew.com have new 57 plate 2.5wrx's at 14k otr which is what im currently investigating, I cant recommend them but i have had some decent replies from people on here. bare in mind, no alarm system/tracker no side airbags (tho you have no side impact protection anyway).

gd luck

I have phoned All brands new the price is actually completly different to the website:

£14299 with side airbags

+ £350 Paint

+ £399 Alarm

+ £349 Road tax

So you are looking at £15397 which is quite a bit more but still a lot cheaper than UK models, I still want to shop around first so I can compare.....

Last edited by Scooby Soon!; 21 September 2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 21 September 2007, 05:49 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
£14299 with side airbags

+ £350 Paint

+ £399 Alarm

+ £349 Road tax
I wouldn't bother with the paint, it's as thin-as anyway. Not worth £350.
Old 21 September 2007, 06:14 PM
jho!
Scooby Regular

I was a car salesman for 5 years, not all dealers are just out to rip u off but there are a few that are.

The reason dealers quote "flat rate " is because it is easier to work out for them and for you if you now how it works. APR is completly meaningless because you cannot work out how much interest you will be paying.

Flat rate is the percentage of interset you pay per year of the loan.

IE if you borrow £10,000 over 3 years at 4.5% flat (which is a very good rate I used to sell at 6 to 7%) 3 (length of loan) times 4.5 = 13.5 so the total interest is 13.5% which equals £1350 so the cost of the loan is £11350 over 3 years (36 months) would equal £315.37 a month.

They do however have to provide you with a written quotation if you request it with the APR stated if they refuse they are breaking the law.
Old 21 September 2007, 06:35 PM
postie90
Scooby Regular

i just had mine from motorhouse cannock £15k with alarm tracker some brightprotection warranty for 6yrs, they are a little slow i think but they said it was dvla`s fault, the car is eu import brand new just 19miles on the clock not a bad buy i think.....
Old 21 September 2007, 07:23 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Angry

It does mean something as all reputable loan companies quote the APR. When the dealers use a "flat rate" they are trying to mislead. Everyone uses APR except for dealers it seems ...

Originally Posted by jho!
APR is completly meaningless because you cannot work out how much interest you will be paying.
Old 23 September 2007, 06:06 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

I think legally they have to tell you the APR - its the standard figure quoted across the financial services industry.

Incidentally, I notice that if you see a good price quoted on the web then its always £1k more when you phone up