Sponsored by:

Curtis has re-valved my ASTs - fantastic upgrade and massive thanks

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2007, 12:08 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Curtis has re-valved my ASTs - fantastic upgrade and massive thanks

Had Powerstation's Type 25 suspension kit fitted my my 03STI last year and was generally very happy - a big improvement over standard suspension. However, at high speeds on some of the really lumpy bumpy stuff (plenty here in rural Cumbria), the car would occasionally hit the bumpstops and become a bit ragged on the limit.

I spoke to Curtis at PS and he offered to re-valve the front dampers with a new spec of valving they used on their car used to compete in the Rally of Hungary. He thought this would help cure the problem and also suggested fitting more progressive bumpstops for those extreme occasions when no amount of damping would help.

I went down there yesterday and Curtis spent nearly five hours hours re-valving the dampers to the new spec and fitting bumpstops and then doing a geometry check. He also replaced two springs with new items as they appeared a bit corroded (apparently there was a batch last year where the powder coating wasn't 100%). They were fine, but he just wanted to ensure perfection.

After I had driven back up the M6, I turned off and made my way 20 miles cross-country through the Pennines. The roads were completely empty so I was able to put the car through its paces. I was utterly astonished - yes the car had handled well before but the handling was now incredible - as though the car was magnetically glued to the road with stunning grip and amazing ride quality. Bends that I used to take at 60 on the limit were comfortably taken at 70. The feedback through the steering wheel is massively improved and the stability is immense, no matter how dreadful the road surface. To say I was gobsmacked is an understatement. After getting home, I just wanted to go straight out and tackle some more twisty stuff!

The best bit is that other than the £80 for a geometry set up, Curtis charged me not a bean for all this work - zilch. Now that is what I call good customer service. Thank you Curtis and thank you Powerstation
Old 20 September 2007, 01:42 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like the rest of us with the ASTs had better start to form an orderly queue
Old 20 September 2007, 02:09 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XRS
Looks like the rest of us with the ASTs had better start to form an orderly queue
Would most definitely recommend it. I think Curtis is going to be talking to the technical guys at AST about making the new valving standard fitment
Old 21 September 2007, 09:57 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does this replace the rear knocking!!
martin
Old 21 September 2007, 10:00 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

LOL! Actually, I've never experienced any rear knocking of any kind, though I realise it's a common problem. Maybe I've just been lucky?
Old 21 September 2007, 11:52 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I did have a knock from the rear, but it wasn't the NSR shocker, it turned out that the ARB had moved sideways an inch or two and was hitting a plastic cowl when it moved. Quickly sorted, and quiet again
Old 21 September 2007, 01:08 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lunar tick
However, at high speeds on some of the really lumpy bumpy stuff (plenty here in rural Cumbria), the car would occasionally hit the bumpstops and become a bit ragged on the limit.
I did experiences when on very Bumpy roads my way, in 6th gear runs, the car would "bounce" down the roads very rally style yet not a problem with UK suspension.

they also do a more "Tapered" rear spring(uses original top mount) gives some more comfortable rear ride without to much loss of handling IIRC

Tony
Old 21 September 2007, 01:18 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

The changes to the valving means that the car glides rather than bounces down the road now - virtually no choppiness. I'm using the AST solid top mounts but standard rears. One thing Curtis also did was to lengthen the travel on the helper springs at the front, which has improved low speed ride too. Excuse my ignorance Tony, but what's a tapered spring?
Andy
Old 21 September 2007, 02:29 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lunar tick
Excuse my ignorance Tony, but what's a tapered spring?
Andy,

Tapered is a bit wrong, more like cone shaped

it uses the original rear Top mount and not the AST one, so spring is larger at the Top ( like your old spring)s and smaller at the bottom AST size

Tony