Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

run in with police

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 02:13 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to say I saw a friend buying petrol on christmas eve so pulled in to the first parking space to go and say hello.

A police car pulled in behind me walked up and straight away was incredibly nice to me.

"just checking its not stolen"

gave correct address etc.

He knew it was a 22B (I know badge says so) and that there werent any of them round southend area so asked me where I was going.

Turns out he was a big fan and was on his second evo 6. We discussed track days and brake upgrades, he even called his partner over to look at the defis.

Went away with a big smile on my face and my faith restored that there are some great policemen out there.
Old 07 January 2002, 02:23 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Talking

Adam,

Trust you to get a good 'un.

All I get is hassel from plod in astras.

Ian
Old 07 January 2002, 03:31 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

I can add to this.

On 28/12 I was driving out of Southampton from the sales and got stuck in traffic. Alongside me was a hants traffic car. I looked over and he signalled for me to wind the window down. It turned out that he'd just ordered the new TypeR Civic and just wanted to know what I thought of mine. He also was an enthusiast and previously had an ITR but needed four seats to 'keep his wife happy'.

The traffic then started moving and he went ahead with a cheery wave.

Old 07 January 2002, 03:38 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

they all can't be bad then
Old 07 January 2002, 03:41 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

On the 01-Jan I was driving home from Scotland and got stopped three times for random breathe tests.

No issue with it at all, drink driving is bad news.

It was the look on the policman's face when asked when I had finished drinking and I said two days ago.

The last policeman was the best though after apologising for making do it again, suprising I still got a green light. He started asking about the car and what I had done to it. Seemed genuinely interested commenting how the Morettes make all the difference to the MY01 and telling me to take it easy as there where unmarked cars on the M1 that day.

There are nice police out there, it seems you just need to know where to look!

BTW how hard is the breathe test? Keep going, kepp going there you are... would you like your lungs back?
Old 07 January 2002, 05:56 PM
g man
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oyeah sure you wasnt KERB CRAWLING M8....
Old 07 January 2002, 05:59 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Lets see A78 (?) in Scotland, M6 and M1... mostly quiet open roads with very little traffic. I was not travelling slowly.
Old 07 January 2002, 06:13 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
MATTel; sorry, I top that

Many years ago (erm, 9) I saved up, got meself an old 205GTI, loved it, had hardly had it 2 mths when I was coming back from the pub with the girlfriend and was pulled over for doing 43 in a 30 zone. It was late November, they were out to catch drink drivers. My insurance was high enough as it was, I couldn't believe I was about to get my licence dirty for speeding, was crapping myself at the thought of subsequent premiums. Then he said "Normally sir this would be a 30 pound fine and 3 points on your licence. But I am only going to ask you to take a breath test. When was the last time you had an alcoholic drink?"

I couldn't stop the grin spreading as I honestly answered "About eight years ago."

The guy was really nice after that - pointed out the heat from the chemical reaction in the crystals etc. Let them catch the drunken buggers.

BJH
Old 07 January 2002, 06:27 PM
humbug
Scooby Regular

Second evo 6 - How much are they paying policemen these days?!

Old 07 January 2002, 09:46 PM
Christian RB5 097
Scooby Newbie

Who r u all kidding? - They r all ****ing scum.
Old 07 January 2002, 09:54 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Second evo 6 - How much are they paying policemen these days?!
...not enuff IMHO - I know I've had a few run ins with some of the, errr shall we say, errr Hitler-esque ones but they don't half have to put up with some crap...

Who r u all kidding? - They r all ****ing scum.
...hmmmm really?? Scum would pull people from a burning car would they? Or how about tell a wife and mother that her husband and child have been killed by a drink driver on Xmas Eve?

Christian RB5 - if that comment wasnt tongue in cheek, then you sir, are the ******* scum... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07 January 2002, 11:29 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

In my 2 years of scoob ownership, i've only been stopped by police 4 times. 3 out of these 4 times,i have only been stopped because the police have been genuinely interested in my car.
I've had em looking under the bonnet, and asking which bits do what, and i even had one ask to have a sit in the drivers seat (whilst my girlfriends sitting in the passenger seat wondering what the bloody hell was going on!).
It is nice, and it does help you realise that they are nearly normal human beings!

The other time when i was pulled over was because i had been travelling at well over 100mph...........D'OH!!
But amazingly i was let off as it was early in the morning and the road was empty. Copper was on his own aswell. No doubt, if there were 2 of them,I'd be the proud owner of a bus pass at the moment!
Old 08 January 2002, 01:06 AM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Smile

22b godamit, well i'd of found something to do you for! Even though i'm no copper.

Jelous me??? Noooooo.

Git.
Old 08 January 2002, 11:00 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough I made a comment to the effect of, "I heard the basic salary of policeman had increased, perhaps I should consider a career change!" It was only in retrospect that I realised how cheeky I could have sounded. He started explaining that the cars had been paid for long ago and that he only had to come up with the difference each time etc.

It was only when I drove away that I realised he has misinterpreted what I had said, and the way he understood what I had said, I am surprised he didnt find something to do me for.

My friend with the evo actually pulled up thinking I was being done and reluctantly walked over to join the conversation. His run ins with the police had never been friendly until tha point so he was ready to start giving it! I am not liked that so made sure he understood the circumstances by smiling as he edged in the conversation.

He noticed the policeman was a sargeant, which might explain the flash car syndrome he was suffering from.

Either way was a nice confrontation.
Old 08 January 2002, 11:20 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

I have to say I agree with Richard. There are some police officers that have a problem with power going to their heads.

I certainly would like to do what they do, how would you feel have petrol bombs and vehicles driven at you because some yobs have got a bit upset. Then only to hear that defending yourself was being 'heavy handed'.

The capitialism thing in London was a classic of this, year before massive destruction of property and vandalism. This year limited damage by active policing which was very restrained. Before anyone thinks of flaming consider the incidents in France, Italy, Switzerland and Canada where the Police used tear gas, water canons and live rounds.

Give the police respect, because you never know when you may need them.

Mark
Old 08 January 2002, 02:08 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Cool

I agree with the power thing, when I first passed my test, I had an Uno Turbo, and I used to get pulled over at least once a week by the same policeman, it used to drive me mad, as it was always silly things he pulled me for. Then I had a Clio 16v and I got pulled the day after I brought it, they kept asking me how fast it goes, now who would ever admit to the police the fastest they`ve ever driven a car?!!
When I got the Scooby one of the requirements for insurance was to have a tracking device fitted, so I got a nice man to fit it, and he started stripping the car down and told me he had to ring the police urgently...he`d found several live shotgun cartridges hidden in the boot, in all there were about 12. The police took their time in comming out then proceeded to ask me if I was a member of the IRA!!! I was worried that if I`d ever been in a accident they would have caused anexplosion - their location was right by the petrol tank - he told me that I`d have been ok they wouldn`t go off. He put them in a bag and in the back of his car, and drove off, only to screech to a halt, I thought he was going to arrest me or something but he went to the back of his car to make sure they weren`t rolling around!! so much for them not going off, he was obviously worried about it.
Old 09 January 2002, 10:45 AM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Wish they were all like that........!

What about this......out for a blast on Xmas day......warming the car up in a 30mph zone at precisely 30mph......plod in a Vectra come flying up behind me......I pull over to the left a bit, thinking they were in a hurry, but they drive bumper-to-bumper behind me for two miles.....up comes the national speed limit sign, so I floor it and leave them for dead.....they catch up with me at the lights......two young coppers eyeing my car and obviously miffed by my audacity......I took off again from the lights(always within limits), daring them to pull me..............but they didn't, much to my surprise....

Was I wrong not to grovel to them....?
What do you guys do in these situations?

DBM

PS: I realise they may have been checking me out according to some of you, but believe me when I say they were trying to have a laugh at my expense...........pathetic really!
Old 09 January 2002, 10:58 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Angry

No you were right not to grovel to them. They were not doing their job (as usual), they were simply harrassing you. Of course there is nothing you can do about it because they are all above the law.

What really gets my back up is that the senior police officers come on TV saying that they haven't got any resource which is why crime is on the increase etc., but then plonkers like these guys drive round doing nothing more than goading people. Crime is on the increase because the police won't use the resources they do have sensibly and because the courts don't give anyone other than speeding motorists a proper sentence.

You just have to grin and bear it and hope that one day what goes around comes around.

Still you can rest in the knowledge that at least you don't have to drive a Vectra!!!

Regards,

tiggers
Old 09 January 2002, 11:08 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

yeah I did that in the Cossie a few weeks back coming onto the A30 from guildford. T5 parked on my back bumper coming up the sliproad took it easy cos the sliproad has a nasty bend just before you get on the main road but the T5 was still there. Anyways, I get onto a straight and nail it from 25 up to 70 and leave the T5 standing
the catch up and follow me for a few miles but I keep her at 70 till the get bored and overtake.
Old 09 January 2002, 12:05 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I have to say ive not a bad word against road cops - just the ones who sit behind bushes nabbing you for 61 in a 60 limit that let the side down!!! In my experience they are fair and only nick people who drive badly!!

Jza
Old 09 January 2002, 12:23 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Angry

Jza,

Absoloute B0LL0CKS!

tiggers.
Old 09 January 2002, 12:25 PM
BaldyMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agreement with Jza,

If the police pulled bad drivers instead of people doing 2 miles over the limit, the roads would be a safer place.

Without having to worry about bad drivers people may then start to stick to the limits prorerly.

I would say from experiance that approx 70% of speeding comes from trying to get away from other bad drivers.
Old 09 January 2002, 12:27 PM
BaldyMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agreement with Jza,

If the police pulled bad drivers instead of people doing 2 miles over the limit, the roads would be a safer place.

Without having to worry about bad drivers people may then start to stick to the limits prorerly.

I would say from experiance that approx 70% of speeding comes from trying to get away from other bad drivers.