Sponsored by:

RamPod Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2000, 08:17 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone on this BBS use these filters?

After reading (and contributing) to the Blitz discussion I am trying to find out what is the best alternative to the Blitz, I did ask the question on the other thread, but as everyone was involved in discussing the pros and cons of the Blitz there was no response.

The RamPod looks like this,

but I can't find any info on the filtration specs. Also, in the picture above, the air intake pipe does not look standard (I have an Sti V), is the pipe part of the kit, or, does the kit only include the aluminium cone and (as seen here) red filter (+ fitting brackets, again seen in red)?

What do people think about this induction system?

I must admit that I am now being scared away from the Blitz, OK, I have done 15,000 miles with it, my car is coming up to 30,000, and I want ideally for it to be as reliable as it has been so far (touch wood) for another 30,000+ miles.

Does this system pose any threat to oil contamination, does it filter properly, etc etc etc.

Basically, if it deserves a slagging then lets hear it here before I go and waste some more dosh

What do the rally boys use for Tarmac spec stages?

Cheers,

Dave
Old 11 December 2000, 09:17 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
David,

To some extent, we have to ignore what the rally/race guys use. Remember they have one aim, to finish a stage/race, at pretty much any cost. The larger teams will rebuild the engines after every race (or even swap after a stage) and even the smaller teams will rebuild after about 1000 miles.

So, ask what the filtration size is, and compare to the other options.

AFM's will only suffer from oil contamination, if a filter is over oiled. This can happen "out of the box", as many people who tried a "Ramair" filter could tell you.

The K&N filters, whilst oiled, seem to be fine.

Mike at Scoobymania will be able to tell you just what is in the Rampod kit.

Mark.
Old 11 December 2000, 09:22 AM
david
Scooby Regular

cheers Mark,

Mike - could you detial whats in the kit and discuss fitting etc?

Cheers,

Dave

my question is still open though, anyone use 'em?
Old 11 December 2000, 09:41 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have one of these fitted in my MY99 UK car! On a rolling road day with similar spec'd cars, running same/similar exhausts, but the others running with K&N's & PiperCross air inductors, they were getting about 225bhp (and running Super), me I was running with NORMAL unleaded and got 239bhp.

Now this probably isn't a fair comparison, but I found it more responsive than my old K&N. The induction of air is inline with the throttle. The more I put my foot down, the louder the induction noise (and I assume more air going in!!)

I'm very happy with it and wouldn't swap it for any other filter!!!

The air box needs to be removed, but I got my dealer to it, before I picked up the car. He said it took him about 10 minutes to install. Not bad for someone who hasn't installed one before, and without instructions!!!

I bought it secondhand for about half the going price, but after owning one, I would happily have bought it new!!!

A bit bias, but thats how I feel about it!!!

Thanks
Andy
Old 11 December 2000, 11:11 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Andy,

So you like it then?
Old 11 December 2000, 11:29 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

What on Earth makes you think that David???
Old 11 December 2000, 08:36 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Question

hi there
i am also interested in the rampod. any down side from any one ?

what is the general feeling regarding air filters these days ? i.e. what is the flavor of the month
Old 11 December 2000, 10:29 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

OK, apologies for the 'corporate' description but saved me having to type it all.

UniFilters work on the most basic principal known to man - that is, man's own air filter - the human nose.

How a UniFilter works is the same explanation used to describe the workings of that thing just below and between your eyes. What we have is a wet/sticky passage that allows the air to flow freely with the fluid catching the airborne particles as they try to find their way to where they will do the most damage.

To be technical about it - to reproduce the nose passage UniFilter uses an open cell foam which is 3% to 5% product and 95% to 97% void space. This open cell structure allows air to be pulled through the foam with 40% to 60% less effort than conventional paper cleaners. Sticky filter oil then comes into play - UniFilter's "Filter Fix" filter oil is a heavy weight mineral oil mixed with non drying glue agents. (Mineral oil is used in preference to synthetics as mineral oil will not "dry" or effect the cell structure of the foam).

This mix of oil is very important for good filtration - as it must be liquid enough to travel and meet the dust as it builds up on the surface of the foam and thick enough so as not to drain from the foam. The formulation of "Filter Fix" has taken many years to perfect, since 1978 there has been several improvements, on each occasion some two years of field testing has occurred prior to acceptance of that formula - the present formula is simply the best on the market.

So to compare a UniFilter with a conventional paper air filter, as mentioned, far less effort is required to pull air through the filter - giving a performance increase particularly when it comes to fuel saving (better air flow or what should be stated - less vacuum - resulting in smoother running and therefore less fuel being sucked into the system).

Dust retention wise, a paper filter is, in fact, a sieve which must have holes large enough to allow air to pass through. That hole size will allow dust particles of 35 to 40 micron to pass - UniFilter's sticky oil catches everything above 4 to 5 micron.

Given that engine wear is caused by dust particles larger than 15 micron - UniFilter air filters are way out in front when it comes to dust retention.

The advantage does not finish there - UniFilter elements are re-useable - at around the normal life of a paper cleaner, UniFilter elements can be washed out with mineral turpentine, re-oiled with "Filter Fix" and returned to the vehicle. Economically and Environmentally - a great concept.

Not to forget the reduced charge temps of a high flow induction kit, & less strain on turbo.

Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Tuckwood (edited 11 December 2000).]
Old 11 December 2000, 11:22 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi
does any one know what else is available for a MY99 ? do K & N do a kit for it yet ?

any feed back about the PX one ?

sam
Old 12 December 2000, 07:29 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Talking

cheers Mike,

A couple more questions....

About the Ram Pod....
can you detail what comes in the kit?

and more generally.....
the text you have provided, along with the graphs clearly indicates that the Ram Pod produces less vacuum than a paper filter. I presume that a Blitz also does this, how does creating less vacuum increase performance?

Oh, and do you have any in stock?

Cheers,

Dave