ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hit and Run

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2007, 06:15 PM
Owl28
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Hit and Run

My girlfriend returned to her car this afternoon to find a scrap of paper with the words "Your car was hit by this car R74 EAC They wouldn't stop!" stuck under the wiper blade! Now the damage is pretty minimal but there is damage. We called the police and have to report it in person and show all our documentation etc before they can persue the matter. Have any of you had this happen to you and is it worth chasing it up?

Ta

Steve.
Old 24 August 2007, 06:22 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Worth chasing up as it is illegal to leave the scene of an accident, to layers this can be anything and should be used against them if there are problems and also shows you have carried out your best for the insurance company. As to what happens, and what the police will do is anyones guess.
Good luck
Old 24 August 2007, 08:09 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Did the person who left the note give their details? You'll get alot further with this independant witness.
Old 24 August 2007, 08:12 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paddi70
Worth chasing up as it is illegal to leave the scene of an accident, to layers this can be anything and should be used against them if there are problems and also shows you have carried out your best for the insurance company. As to what happens, and what the police will do is anyones guess.
Good luck
Not so, is it?
I thought it was unlawful to leave the scene of an accident leaving injured parties or danger to others.

All others should be reported within 24 hours if not able to contact the owner of the vehicle.
In theory if the driver stops tonight and reports it, as you will too, the reports should tally up on the PNC and voila.

In the meantime, report it to your insurers and let the person get a nice letter
Old 24 August 2007, 11:48 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Happened to me years ago. Car bumped me when parked & was witnessed by a bouncer of a pub. Reported to Police & a few days later they advised me that they would not pursue despite having a witness & their number plate Police = ***** in my book ...

TX.
Old 25 August 2007, 09:01 AM
Owl28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Did the person who left the note give their details? You'll get alot further with this independant witness.
No they didn't. It was just the note with the reg number on. After looking at the damage in more detail, they have just sprung the rear bumper off it's securing clips and caused a few scratches and one small crack. Most of it will buff out so if the dibble come back with a less than positive result it's not so bad.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Much appreciated.

Steve.
Old 25 August 2007, 10:01 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Have to be careful here. It's possible the driver of the car that hit you came over and put that note on with someone else's reg just so it looked like they were leaving their details before driving off.
People are devious...
Old 25 August 2007, 11:23 AM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

is there any CCTV footage of where you parked ?
Old 25 August 2007, 12:06 PM
Owl28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Have to be careful here. It's possible the driver of the car that hit you came over and put that note on with someone else's reg just so it looked like they were leaving their details before driving off.
People are devious...
We thought exactly the same thing. A mate of mine once found a note on his car after being pranged in a car park reading "I am writing this note as I am being wactched. They will think I'm leaving my details but I am not. Unlucky!" I pi$$ed my pants when he told me but It's just another case of incompetant drivers.

Steve.
Old 26 August 2007, 12:01 AM
BS
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Owl28
We thought exactly the same thing. A mate of mine once found a note on his car after being pranged in a car park reading "I am writing this note as I am being wactched. They will think I'm leaving my details but I am not. Unlucky!" I pi$$ed my pants when he told me but It's just another case of incompetant drivers.

Steve.
Incontinent driver perhaps?
Old 26 August 2007, 01:48 AM
Spyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Owl28

Steve.
Funny i've heard that exact same story from someone i know