Tyres tyres tyres????

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2000, 08:05 PM
buddy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi Guys,
I am on my second scoob now v5 type r and have always had bridgestone tyres but am thinking of a change although i have no complaints about bridge stones my friend has an evo 6 and swears by yokos has anyone swapped from bridges to yokos and if so have you felt any difference.(not just in the pocket)
Regards,
Bud
Old 04 December 2000, 08:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I think 135quid is very good for bridestone so-2's on 17's meself, aint used any others so unfortunately dont know, been told by a friend of mine that avons are not upto the job thou, toyo meant to have some good tyres thou!!!
Old 05 December 2000, 08:17 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I used to run Yokos - good tyres, especially in the dry (as good, possibly marginally better than SO2s in the dry), but they were crap in the wet. The none directional ones were like slicks in the wet, the directional ones (AVS?) were better, but still a mile behind SO2s.

Pemberton Tyres near the M6 will do 4x17" SO2s for £499 fitted, balanced and incl. VAT
Old 05 December 2000, 06:38 PM
buddy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Gary,
Is that pemberton nr wigan?
Buddy
Old 05 December 2000, 08:13 PM
waynelivesey
Scooby Regular

Going to my local smiley(now national,i think) in preston.Four GOODYEAR F1 214/40/17`s fitted and balanced with new metal valves for £400 all in.Took my wheels when brand new ( four compomotive 17s )to pemberton to have the the rubber fitted and they damaged two of the rims.The lad who carried out the work looked no older than 16 and to say i was initially dubios is an under statement.But i thought he must `no what hes doing`, afraid not!Anyway they knocked £80 off the total bill for the damage saying that sometimes the tyres are tight and can pull the paint off.Boll##ks!I could see tyre lever marks!
Old 06 December 2000, 07:57 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I find that very hard to believe about Pemberton Tyres. I have been going to them for over 4 years, and have had approximatly 50 tyres fitted by them. Every single time they have been painfully careful, and have never marked any of the wheels. They do have a lot of young lads their, as all tyre places do, but they are not allowed to touch cars by themselves until they are deemed experts. The owner Alan is a petrolhead, and a championship winning go-cart driver. He knows his stuff, and makes sure his guys do as well - recommendation is his main source of new business!

Fitting 'tight' tyres will take off loose or bubbled paint.

If you are using National/Smiley in Preston instead, I have only one experience of each. Smileys couldn't even manage to get the old 17" tyres off the rims And National (again in Preston) dropped one of my wheels 'face down' scuffing all the spokes. Four months later I am still waiting for the regional manager to call me back.

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 06 December 2000).]
Old 06 December 2000, 08:03 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

PS - yes Buddy Pemberton near Wigan
Old 06 December 2000, 06:02 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

I had Yokos fitted when I got it...

Great in the dry iffy in the wet
Now I run SO2, not quite as good in the dry but superglue in the wet.....

So I suppose it depends on personal choice.

Old 06 December 2000, 08:40 PM
waynelivesey
Scooby Regular

The smileys in preston is on FYLDE RD nr the railway bridge.Thew guy in question is Rob who has worked there for a long time.Hes had several performance cars himself and really takes care when changing tyres etc.I cant recommend him enough.Myself and several mates wont use anyone else.As for pemberton ive used them b4 when i had my old 16v Astra,no problem.I suppose its like anyone in any job,customers only remember the the time you got it wrong.Its just that the comps were brand new.I realize that when you come to get your tyres replaced it can be difficult to remove the rubber without causing damage,its just this particular time the rims were brand new and came back damaged.I understand that if the new rims had been painted with to much paint on the rim edge that a tight tyre will drag the paint off.Only on this occasion i could see the tyre lever marks.
Old 06 December 2000, 09:40 PM
leigh wicks
Scooby Regular

i'm running the new toyo on mine, very happy with them in the wet and dry i heard that yokos are very soft!
Old 06 December 2000, 11:19 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

if you want 'dubious', try Oldham tyres in, er, oldham ;-) did my F1s for £376 all-in - it is very scruffy but best price by far and although the young lad that did the fitting wasn't very presentable, he took his time, was very careful with the rims and very careful with the balancing - only thing I could fault was that they didn't have an accurate pressure gauge so my journey home was bit 'strange' till I got my own gauge out and adjusted the pressures !!!

worth ringing I would say

oh and the goodyears are immeasurably superior to the Bridgestones (S-01) that were ont he car before.

Paul W
Old 06 December 2000, 11:43 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by pwebb:
<B>if you want 'dubious', try Oldham tyres in, er, oldham ;-) did my F1s for £376 all-in - it is very scruffy but best price by far and although the young lad that did the fitting wasn't very presentable, he took his time, was very careful with the rims and very careful with the balancing - only thing I could fault was that they didn't have an accurate pressure gauge so my journey home was bit 'strange' till I got my own gauge out and adjusted the pressures !!!

worth ringing I would say

oh and the goodyears are immeasurably superior to the Bridgestones (S-01) that were ont he car before.

Paul W[/quote]

Are Pirelli P Zeros any good? Just asking cos I got them when i purchased the car.I think they seem pretty good but probbably mistaken.
Old 07 December 2000, 12:16 AM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Toyo's - a word of warning...
If you do a lot of motorway driving and don't thrash the tyres, they're quite hard so will last over 25K. HOWEVER, the inside shoulders and inside edges won't and the tyres will start to fall apart - where you can't see them. I spoke to the toyo technical dept when this happened and the guy was surprised I'd got over 17K.
So the moral is...
Drive harder, get some squealing and laying down rubber so you wear the tread out before you wear the tyre structure out.

cheers
Andy
Old 07 December 2000, 08:43 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

P-Zeros are a good tyre, but specially made ones aside, they are old technology, and have been bettered by the more modern tyres of the day.
Old 07 December 2000, 08:52 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Originally posted by GaryC:

P-Zeros are a good tyre, but specially made ones aside, they are old technology, and have been bettered by the more modern tyres of the day....

examples of more modern tyres of the day please ?
Old 07 December 2000, 09:33 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Thought a new P-zero came out about 6 months ago???????
Old 07 December 2000, 01:31 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rebecca:
<B>

examples of more modern tyres of the day please ?[/quote]

SO2s
Goodyear F1s
Toyo 'Proxies'
Yoko AVS
Old 07 December 2000, 04:13 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that ... I currently have Pirellis which replaced Pirelli P Zeros which wore very badly on the inside .... but have always assumed that Pirelli P Zeros were the bees knees.
Old 07 December 2000, 05:46 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

SO2s are the bees knees
Old 07 December 2000, 05:59 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have Yoko A520s on at the moment, they are great in the dry, and 'fun' in the wet, they have done 13000 miles of enthusiastic driving including many track/airfield days.
They are now reaching the end of their life, the new version is A539 and Jonny at Bookatrack.com can get them fitted at my house for 76 quid each - bit of a bloody bargain if you ask me!
Old 07 December 2000, 10:47 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having worn out the original Bridgestone's on my new car, I will (in a day or two) be getting a nice new set of Toyo Proxie things, I've been quoted £340 for 4 (16inch), fitted and balanced, sounds good to me!
Oh, and I must remember to make them 'squeal' every now and then, sound like fun, can't wait! The original tyre's aren't much fun in all this water!
Chow for now
Ron
Old 08 December 2000, 02:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I favour F1's meeself.

The dry grip is brill and the wet grip is outstanding. mine have done 13k and no tramlining yet!

Mine are due for replacement soon and i shall go for another set of 'em

Paul

Old 08 December 2000, 11:02 PM
Dales
Scooby Regular

Anybody tried Continental Sport contacts on 16" rims? A mate has just had some fitted for £380 all in.
Old 10 December 2000, 06:42 PM
buddy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dales,
Are you going to the scooby meet in skipton on sunday, if so we could follow each other,
Buddy,
Old 10 December 2000, 06:53 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've now got my new Toyo's And so far I've only been out in the wet, so It's a bit hard to give an impression, but they seem ok.
Ron
Old 10 December 2000, 10:26 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

SO2's kick ***

Toyo's are a close 2nd

Yoko's are pants, i used to swear by yokohama untill i tried the SO2's, they're not even close.

The OEM fit RE010's are hopeless, i was absolutely stagered by the diference in my car when going from RE010's to SO2's. I did the changeover at MIRA so could do an immediate back to back test of the two tyres and went from a car i could slide for 100yards with all 4 wheels spinning to one i simply couldnt brake traction with. Quite amazing.