ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Longevity of the Impreza.......

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2007, 09:42 AM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longevity of the Impreza.......

Hi, I have been out and about driving in the SW past Two Weeks (On Holidays with the Wife) and both of us have spotted bucket loads of Imprezas around, from old classic sports to new age cars..but only about 6 or 7 Evos........ did the Impreza out sell the Evo in the uk by such a large margin or do Evos not last as well as the Impreza? The difference in numbers is quite noticeable, well here in the SW anyways......
Old 23 August 2007, 09:57 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

I think the Evo was only available as a Jap import up until the VI TME, whereas the Impreza was available as a UK car pretty much from the word go...hence why you see quite a few more of the older ones about on the roads compared to Evo's
Old 23 August 2007, 10:03 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

99% of evos are having their 20 mile service done so off the road
Old 23 August 2007, 10:05 AM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Their are a couple of reasons for this, the cost of buying an impreza has plummeted in recent years and any old nova driving chav can afford a classic these days and stick it on his parents insurance and him as a named driver etc.

Also having owned both i know an evo has far higher running and servicing costs compared with a subaru, the evo is out of the range of a lot of performance car owners as ts not just about buying it as its more about keeping it maintained.
Old 23 August 2007, 10:39 AM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

I used to own a Lancia Delta HF Turbo, running casts were crippling, Service intervals were every 3000 miles and it was a bag if electrical gremlins covered in rust. Did a search on Autotrader a few weeks ago and only 4 cars in a 100 mile radius!! I had a look at an Evo VI before getting my scooby, the impreza looked better condition then the newer Evo, but maybe I had a look at one that had had a hard life!!
Old 23 August 2007, 10:45 AM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

The reason I picked the subaru over the evo (which I planned to buy) is that I can use it every day but it is also a great drivers car at any speed. The evo is very quick and great to drive flat out all the time but lacks driver enjoyment at everyday speeds and when trundling through town.
Most evo's are only driven at weekends, for this reason, and so are not seen as much out and about. I don't know anyone who drives one as an everyday car and if they do they will only have a few hundred yards to commute

I like cars and as such I like to drive them as much as possible, keeping a car in the garage all week and then taking it out for a quick spin, the occasional track day, clean and polish is not my idea of being an enthusiast, more anul in my books

Buy it.....Drive it.....Love it!
Old 23 August 2007, 10:45 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
Their are a couple of reasons for this, the cost of buying an impreza has plummeted in recent years and any old nova driving chav can afford a classic these days and stick it on his parents insurance and him as a named driver etc.
That doesn't mean that any more classics actually exist, though. They're not making new ones!

In fact, once they become cheap enough to buy, they're in danger of being snapped up by people who can't afford to maintain and repair them - resulting in fewer cars left year on year.
Old 23 August 2007, 10:20 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
That doesn't mean that any more classics actually exist, though. They're not making new ones!

In fact, once they become cheap enough to buy, they're in danger of being snapped up by people who can't afford to maintain and repair them - resulting in fewer cars left year on year.
Hundreds of classic imports are still coming into the country, remember.