ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Longevity of the Impreza....... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/629671-longevity-of-the-impreza.html)

Scoobyspanners 23 August 2007 09:42 AM

Longevity of the Impreza.......

Hi, I have been out and about driving in the SW past Two Weeks (On Holidays with the Wife) and both of us have spotted bucket loads of Imprezas around, from old classic sports to new age cars..but only about 6 or 7 Evos........ did the Impreza out sell the Evo in the uk by such a large margin or do Evos not last as well as the Impreza? The difference in numbers is quite noticeable, well here in the SW anyways......:cool:

Daft Lad 23 August 2007 09:57 AM

I think the Evo was only available as a Jap import up until the VI TME, whereas the Impreza was available as a UK car pretty much from the word go...hence why you see quite a few more of the older ones about on the roads compared to Evo's :)

what would scooby do 23 August 2007 10:03 AM

99% of evos are having their 20 mile service done so off the road :D

Borat_Drives_A_Scooby 23 August 2007 10:05 AM

Their are a couple of reasons for this, the cost of buying an impreza has plummeted in recent years and any old nova driving chav can afford a classic these days and stick it on his parents insurance and him as a named driver etc.

Also having owned both i know an evo has far higher running and servicing costs compared with a subaru, the evo is out of the range of a lot of performance car owners as ts not just about buying it as its more about keeping it maintained.

Scoobyspanners 23 August 2007 10:39 AM

I used to own a Lancia Delta HF Turbo, running casts were crippling, Service intervals were every 3000 miles and it was a bag if electrical gremlins covered in rust. Did a search on Autotrader a few weeks ago and only 4 cars in a 100 mile radius!! I had a look at an Evo VI before getting my scooby, the impreza looked better condition then the newer Evo, but maybe I had a look at one that had had a hard life!!

lestippp 23 August 2007 10:45 AM

The reason I picked the subaru over the evo (which I planned to buy) is that I can use it every day but it is also a great drivers car at any speed. The evo is very quick and great to drive flat out all the time but lacks driver enjoyment at everyday speeds and when trundling through town.
Most evo's are only driven at weekends, for this reason, and so are not seen as much out and about. I don't know anyone who drives one as an everyday car and if they do they will only have a few hundred yards to commute :lol1:

I like cars and as such I like to drive them as much as possible, keeping a car in the garage all week and then taking it out for a quick spin, the occasional track day, clean and polish is not my idea of being an enthusiast, more anul in my books :norty:

Buy it.....Drive it.....Love it! :thumb:

AndyC_772 23 August 2007 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby (Post 7202995)
Their are a couple of reasons for this, the cost of buying an impreza has plummeted in recent years and any old nova driving chav can afford a classic these days and stick it on his parents insurance and him as a named driver etc.

That doesn't mean that any more classics actually exist, though. They're not making new ones!

In fact, once they become cheap enough to buy, they're in danger of being snapped up by people who can't afford to maintain and repair them - resulting in fewer cars left year on year.

Bubba po 23 August 2007 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 7203057)
That doesn't mean that any more classics actually exist, though. They're not making new ones!

In fact, once they become cheap enough to buy, they're in danger of being snapped up by people who can't afford to maintain and repair them - resulting in fewer cars left year on year.

Hundreds of classic imports are still coming into the country, remember. :)