Sponsored by:

The DVLA, Trade Plates and generally aarrrrrgggghhhhh

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2007, 08:28 AM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The DVLA, Trade Plates and generally aarrrrrgggghhhhh

I got a new car at the wknd (well me and the GF) and its a Jap Import, however it had been in the country for about 3 wks and the dealer (very reputable and well known) assured us when we bought it that it would be registered and ready in less than a wk as no SVA was required. So we arranged a trip to collect in on the 2nd wknd (2wks after it arrived), the dealer was continually telling us it would be registered in time and the paperwork thru, it wasnt so we changed all our plans and postponed for a wk, when it would deffinatel be ready.

So collected the car on Sat (3rd wknd since it arrived) and its mint , but has no registration (but has an MOT and all associated import paperwork as we saw this before) but as we travelled 300 odd miles, they lent us Trade Plates to take it home, and said the reggie and V5 will be sorted soon but there is a backlog at the DVLA. anyone else experienced such backlog?

The problem is now that we insured the car on the chassis number, but the insurance company wanted full payment and will only cover for 14 days before they cancel it, they will not allow it to be transfered to another vehicle so if the DVLA dont hurry up we are screwed for a hefty sum of cash

So the situation is we still have the trade plates and aint returning them til we get a registration and V5, although we arent driving the car, but what can we do regarding the insurance? if we got the insurer to contact the DVLA and see it is in their system do you think they would give a grace period?

Anybody else tried getting a car registered just now, the website says 72 hours, this has now been over 2 wks

This is on top of 3 months of dealing with uninsured drug drivers, the insurance company, sourcing a car......now this, we are totally stressed by the whole thing, i think im losing the plot anybody else been in a similar situation? and any suggestions what i can do to get this sorted out?

also has anybody else just had trade plates borrowed from a dealer and driven about? were there any problems?
Old 22 August 2007, 08:49 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Errr ...i'd ditch your ins. co. as soon as, i had no such problems with A-plan when insuring my import.

I'm assuming the car is 10 years old or older (no SVA) so there really shouldn't be a problem registering it with the DVLA & iirc it only took a week to register mine?
Old 22 August 2007, 08:58 AM
rdraper
Scooby Regular

Not had any experience with DVLA with registering vehicles, but it has just taken them nearly 4 weeks to do a cherished transfer for me! You used to be able to go and get them done while you wait a few years ago!
Old 22 August 2007, 09:06 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a plate from the DVLA for the wife. This was delivered with transfer papers etc, didn't have a problem!!! It only took ten minutes to sort at my local DVLA office.
Old 22 August 2007, 10:01 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

They should be able to tell you over the phone what it will be registered as, it will take a while for the paperwork but i'd get down your local DVLA office and see what they have to say.

Agreed re: insurance though. Not good!

5t
Old 22 August 2007, 11:33 AM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

I got my car registered in less than 24 hours as I am an impatient sod and phoned up the DVLA to see what the status of it was.

Eventually got through to the local office who did it that afternoon.

Could be worth a shot if you know what DVLA office was used to register it.
Old 22 August 2007, 11:46 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't trade plates proof of insurance anyway? You need to have a traders ins policy to get them, so by definition the car they are fitted to is insured.
Dave.
Old 22 August 2007, 12:24 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

unfortunately the DVLA question and dealer in question is 300 miles from me so i cant go into the office and kick up a noise.

we were advised by the dealer to take out insurance on the car as we normally would. the insurance company had no problems taking a full years fee and using the chassis number but now claim in the paperwork if its not registered in 14 days they cancel the policy, dont do refunds and the policy is non transferable as its on an unregistered car. this i find strange, why insure it to start with if they have such issues, also i have seen folks with unregistered cars in their gardens etc, does that mean they are all uninsured?? if so its a theifs wet dream

any traders on here having any issues with the DVLA atm when trying to register cars?

as said this is a highly respectable dealer and they have been recommended on many threads and forums, the quality of car is awsome for the price and i know they are doing what they can, but its not helping me or easing the worry and grief im getting
Old 22 August 2007, 12:38 PM
JBJ
Scooby Regular

Hi
You can legally get a refund from the insurance company as with all purchases you have at least a 14 day cooling off period, they will of course charge you for the days that its been insured for.

So get a refund and insure with a different company, and dont let them tell you you're not entitled to a refund you are.

P.S this is what I did when I imported a car myself, so its in my opinion and experience.
Old 22 August 2007, 01:27 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by misty
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't trade plates proof of insurance anyway? You need to have a traders ins policy to get them, so by definition the car they are fitted to is insured.
Dave.
Trade plates only cover a vehicle for road tax. They should only be used in collection/delivery or roadtesting an untaxed car.
Old 22 August 2007, 03:46 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scubbay
Trade plates only cover a vehicle for road tax. They should only be used in collection/delivery or roadtesting an untaxed car.
If the dealer as stitched you up keep his plates
Old 22 August 2007, 04:05 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I did say "correct me if I'm wrong"
Dave
Old 22 August 2007, 04:19 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
If the dealer as stitched you up keep his plates
oh dont worry i have made it very clear that they WILL NOT be returned until i get the documents and the car is on the road. i really dont think its a case of being stitched up, but the length of time to go thru the DVLA process is a joke

the big worry is the insurance issue. my GF had an uninsured driver hit her, he has since been convicted (paltry 700 quid fine and a ban of 6 months even tho he was on drugs at the time ) so she had to go back with that insurer in order to gat any sort of reasonable quote. all the others, even Aplan or Keith Micheals etc wont insure her as she has zero no claims again . so we cant really allow this policy to be cancelled or afford to loose the money either
Old 22 August 2007, 04:19 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubbay
Quite legitametly be used on unregistered cars...

You need relevant insurance cover to get them, but that doesn't mean the cover is still applicable to the OP.

Simon
Old 22 August 2007, 04:35 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sandyRS16i
the big worry is the insurance issue. my GF had an uninsured driver hit her, he has since been convicted (paltry 700 quid fine and a ban of 6 months even tho he was on drugs at the time ) so she had to go back with that insurer in order to gat any sort of reasonable quote. all the others, even Aplan or Keith Micheals etc wont insure her as she has zero no claims again . so we cant really allow this policy to be cancelled or afford to loose the money either

You should speak to the company about uninsured loss recovery. If it isn't your fault then you don't have to pay. Check if she had legal cover and speak to the FSA as you may have been badly advised.

As for trade plates, i'm sure that you aren't allowed them on a daily driver, has to be delivery/road tests only. The DVLA could cheerfully take them off the dealer for abusing the system.

Call the DVLA. Chances are it is on the computer and registered, the delay is with the paperwork.

5t.
Old 22 August 2007, 04:36 PM
daz_don1
Scooby Regular

as stated previosly in the thread

most insurance that ive taken out have a 14 day cooling off period, has the insurance youve taken out got this or has this time elapsed. maybe something worth looking into

Regards

Daz

Last edited by daz_don1; 22 August 2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: added some more