Info on what to buy & what to look for please

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2000, 10:36 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello,good here is`nt it?
Anyway down to business,I`m a Scooby virgin & was wanting one of these fine motors but there seems to be that many different ones its a bit confusing,so I thought I`d ask you lot for a bit of impartial advice.I`m thinking of spending about £10k and wondering what I`d get for my money.I`m a bit dubious about an import as I believe they`re a bit hard to sell on,also what do I look for when buying one,do high miles matter? Has anyone got one of these cars for sale,but not in red or a 5 door,is there any model I should really try & get?
Any answers & info to my inane questions will be much appreciated.
Old 08 December 2000, 11:02 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

What's wrong with a 5dr may I ask?

Also, don't post here expecting "impartial" advice
Old 08 December 2000, 11:04 PM
buddy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lee,
10k will buy you a good sti version 2 around M reg.Or a newer uk spec turbo, the choice is yours.In my experience the dealers to look for are ck motors longsight manchester ,Ron hodgson Wigan, or warrender of bolton .All nos. found through d.enquiries(cant be arsed looking them up at this time of night.)
Buddy.
Old 08 December 2000, 11:06 PM
buddy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Puff,
Dont take it to heart,.

Old 09 December 2000, 02:43 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Sorry Puff theres nowt wrong with 5 doors its just that you can`t get big boy racer spoilers on them(not that I am of course,30 now you know)
Thanks for the replys so far,keep em coming.The more info I get, the better so don`t be shy.If you think your type of Scooby is the best then tell me why cos I might buy one.I am like a dry sponge craving Scooby liquid info,so come on & make me wet(oh er!!)
Old 09 December 2000, 05:21 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

You might want to think about checking out the auctions if you want to stick to your budget of 10k. Try and find out if you've got any large auction houses nearby (British Car Auctions etc.), and go to one of the company car sell offs. For 10k, you should be able to pick up a 1997 model year UK Turbo.

By getting a 1997 model year car, you will be getting a greatly improved car over the original. One of the biggest differences is in the interior, which is a big improvement over the 'Farmer Giles' styling on the earlier cars.

I'm just about to get my third scooby as a company motor, and I know that both my previous cars fetched around 10K. (Last car was a 1997 Catalunya special edition). I wouldn't worry about higher mileage examples, as long as they have a full service history (which they should if they are ex-company cars) and that there is no tell-tale blue smoke on startup (indicating turbo problems).

On average, a turbocharger will probably last about 100,000 miles, so if the car is getting near that mark, then budget for getting it replaced. Also, make sure that the cambelt has been changed at the proper intervals.

If you do go to an auction, it may also be worth getting a mechanic with some experience in Scoobys to go with you. Even if it costs you, it is probably money well spent.

Hope this helps.

Andy.
Old 09 December 2000, 10:11 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks Andy, that was a good bit of advice.
Come on then you lot ,any more tips?
Old 09 December 2000, 10:49 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

As Puff indicated, impartial advice will be thin on the ground.

I think you first decision should be Import or UK. If you're looking for performance "out of the box" it's likely to be a Jap, but if you can't claim it as a business expense check the insurance first!

Warrender usually have a selection of Scoobs but I've not seen too many in your price range. There are quite a number of older models that have sat on dealer forcourts for a while now & that might make them suceptible to a reasonable cash offer. I'm told "book" dropped another 750 this month!

Presume you have already posted in wanted forum.

Best advice I can give is, decide exactly what you want & WAIT for the right one. Don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket..next month there will be more there to negotiate with.

Old 09 December 2000, 11:04 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Big Boy

Now that I know you're over 30, best advice I can give is that if you buy a MY UK, then try NFU for an insurance quote (better for the older lady/gent).

In the absense of search, go to the first ever page of UK Insurance & find the relevant posting for Karen

Me - I'm 36 with a wife & sprog & I still embarass STi's, RB5's, P1's & 22B's round the track in my MY99 UK

5dr - best Q-Car ever
Old 10 December 2000, 05:09 AM
ROB MOONS
Scooby Newbie

Dont disregard an import untill tou have test driven a few. if you buy a UK car you will only end up spending a mint on uprating the bhp. As for resale, any car is a b@stard to sell.Just make sure you buy from a decent import dealer with a good warrenty.I'm sure i will get slated for these comments,just my point of view
Rob.
Old 10 December 2000, 12:09 PM
peevee---
Scooby Regular

Hi Lee,looks like its your lucky day,I have just the car for you now walk this way, that,s away from all these nothing better to do with my life but answer messages on the scoobynet bulletin bored (yes I do mean Bored)type chaps and come into the world of the ones that put lots of miles on there scooby,s. I have for sale my three year old (today) silver four door UK turbo at, you have guessed right £10,000, you need to contact me to find out why this particular vehicle meets your exact requirements and will give you years of fun and pleasure (sorry thats the wife)must go contact me
regards
peevee + a few bottles of whaaaas uuup bud
Old 10 December 2000, 06:04 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

This is more like it people!!!
So whats the difference between an import & a UK spec car?BHP?Seats?Can`t get radio2 on the radio?Will I bang my head on the roof cos they`re made for shortarses?
Also what do all the letters mean? STi,WRX,RB5,AWD,SNAFU,XYZ,PPP,FSH? Will I need an extension board on the side for them all?
I`m a little damp guys,make me wetter!!!!!!
Old 10 December 2000, 06:18 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lee

First off go to