WRX STI

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2002, 12:26 PM
SeanWRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All.

Im new to this forum! Im looking to get a WRX STI soon. Have seen one advertised on the net which i may view this w/e. Its a 1997 WRX STI Type R in Essex. Only problem is the cars got no windows as they were all smashed? Is there anything in particular to look out for? Also, its advertised for approx 10,500. Is this a resonable price?

Sean
Old 04 January 2002, 12:28 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

I think this car has been mentioned in the past and apparently its not one to go for as it has a very vague history.

I'm sure someone will post the link

laters

fris
Old 04 January 2002, 12:31 PM
SeanWRX
Scooby Newbie

The guy seemed a little unsure of things on the phone... He said it had 30K KM?? which seemed a little low. Has anyone on here already seen the car?

Sean
Old 04 January 2002, 12:42 PM
PEN
Scooby Regular

Sean
a couple of weeks agos there were a few of us playing fix the scooby in our garage... and at the time some one offered us 'wanna buy an impreza'???!!! hmmm... (my first reaction was one of - is anyone on the board missing one)

if you're looking then do make sure of what you're buying and where you're getting it from - make sure the history and sellor are bona fide and don't part with any money until you know for sure.

I could be persuaded to sell my 99 WRX if you're interested but it won't be for 10k.

P
Old 04 January 2002, 12:54 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Dean
I do not know the car or the dealer/person, just my two penneth.

This kinda rings alarm bells for me anyway
All wondows smashed - hmm, is it stolen recovered?? chances are it has been thrashed within an inch of it's life. Check to see how many keys you need to open the doors. one key should do all the locks, may be a clue there

With all the glass gone it may be because it had the reg/chassis no etched in as has been 'ringed' or such like.

I have nothing against imports, however does it have any service history documentation on condiditon, original reciept anything that can varify it is genuine/straight.

Any 'vagueness' with motors/dealers worries me. When we where looking for a MR2 for my better half i ended up looking at 21 cars in all and out of that only 3 where genuine straight cars - IMHO.
Same when we changed from the MR2, we looked Mazda Eunos's (Import MX 5) and MX5's ( the imported ones where generally tatty and looked like they had done a lot more miles that they had on the clock. Ended up buying a Ford Puma!

I am sure you will but - look around there are a few about and do not buy the first one you see/drive. Try a post in 'Wanted' on Scoobynet, this might generate some more to look at. Take your time.

It is probably a genuine car but it is good to have others to compare it to

Good luck
Old 04 January 2002, 02:03 PM
church_monster
Scooby Regular

Wink

Remember as well that if you do buy a clone (ie imported car which has been stolen from another country) and the police find out (they do a lot of random stops on Jap cars) that it is stolen although from another country, they will take it from you there and then and as someone who shall remain nameless on this board found out it's a hell of a way to waste 10K..... Make sure that the chassis and engine numbers match up with original docs and do a search with subaru japan (costs £50 but well worth it)...they seem to have a list of stolen cars which have never been seen again. Apart from that their a brilliant car good luck in finding one to suit you M8
Old 04 January 2002, 02:34 PM
SeanWRX
Scooby Newbie

Guys, Having briefly browsed the site, im a liitle confused as to how many different models there are about. Basically, my max budget is about 10k. im after a wrx with 280bhp+ with the facelift model (i.e post 97 i think). Prefer 2 door, however aint fussed if its a 4 door. Given my bugdet, am i being over optimistic ?? I do like the idea of a wrx sti.... and is there such thing as a type r in these??

cheers
Old 04 January 2002, 02:53 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

maybe this would be of interest...looks nice.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=56544

laters

fris

Old 04 January 2002, 10:20 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

SeanWRX

I phoned up about the car you are asking about. The guy told me that all but the drivers door windows had been smashed, said it doesn't have any history and couldn't even tell me if it had a standard exhaust. He also said that they have had it for about 8 months and he's been driving it for the last couple.

Someone else posted about this car a week or two ago, someone else said they went to look at it and found it to have a loose front grill, the covers on the spot lights in the front bumper didn't match and some plate/guard from under the engine (not sure what its called) had been taken off for some reason as it was sitting in the boot!

Stay well away from it if I was you!
Old 04 January 2002, 10:33 PM
wrx.co.uk
Scooby Regular

Golden rule when buying any import always without fail, do not do this and death will fall upon you, alway check the Japanese de-registration certificate, without out this do not buy the car!