URGENT - quick straw poll please - number plate spacing

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2000, 12:56 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Zip
Depends on what you choose and if or how blatantly you try and pass it off as reading something else....

I've had J5DTS on five cars since 1992, all GTI type cars. The characters are pushed together (illegally) as typed above but aren't trying to pretend to be something else.

Only been pulled once in 8 years and that was for having a lead right foot (and Plod-u-like didn't mention the number plate....)

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 08 December 2000).]
Old 08 December 2000, 10:20 AM
Zip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am purchasing a number plate as a birthday present later today, and I am torn between one which is fine if I keep the spacing "legal", and one where it will only have any significance if I alter the spacing.

Can I have a quick response from those with dodgy spacing and the problems (or otherwise) that they have had from the rozzers etc etc.

I know this is an old debate, but I would appreciate your opinions asap.

Thanks in advance,
Zip
Old 08 December 2000, 10:31 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I was stopped twice a fortnight ago because of the spacing on "P1 RUM"...Now they both admitted that they wanted a butchers at the car - but basically they used the number plates as an excuse.

My font and lettering was not as bad as some - in fact it was only slightly different to standard - the spacing between the 1 and the RUM was 1/2 inch instead of the 1 inch I believe it has to be *sigh*

Rather than giving them an excuse to stop me I have now changed the plates back to LEGAL lettering, size and spacing - it is interesting that the plates are still the same size and too be honest it doesn't look too bad at all.

Old 08 December 2000, 10:48 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

There's also a "three strikes and you're out" rumour circulating. Get reported for having an incorrectly spaced number plate 3 times and you lose the rights to the numberplate.

Which could be expensive.

I'd stick with something that's as near as damnit perfect on the spacing front, maybe a few mm out.

Old 08 December 2000, 10:52 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'd agree - if you go for something that you know isn't legal - you're only gonna cause problems for yourself .

Kelvin
Old 08 December 2000, 01:43 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Talking

Zip,

If you are going to space them "wrongly", an idea would be to have the rear plate more legal than the front.

I have motorbike letters on the front plate, and the back plate has normal size, but slightly squashed up.

Have had them like this on four different cars, and have never had any probs
Old 08 December 2000, 03:42 PM
Zip
Scooby Regular

Question

In this case, I want to move a "O" from the right to join the "00"s on the left to make 'x2000 xx'.

Am I on dodgy ground?

ta,
Zip
Old 08 December 2000, 03:55 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Zip,

In a word, as others have stated, "yes".
Don't know about 3 strikes and out, but you'll definitely get stopped for that.
And who needs to give them another reason to stop you...?

Terry
Old 08 December 2000, 04:08 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Zip:
<B>Am I on dodgy ground?[/quote]

In a word.....YES.

Old 08 December 2000, 04:10 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I go with Gza,

I have a comparatively sensible plate on the rear all spaced together equally but normal sizes which doesn't seem to bother them, while as the front plate is not square but with curved ages matching the shape of the grille above, small (wrc style) with motorbike letters and then with a couple of ones spaced v.closely and an apostrophe at the other end. Only been moaned at twice, one by a cop car coming towards me...unfortunately I was unusually stationary as a lorry was blocking the narrow road ahead... other time g/f was using it and pulled up to get fuel during strikes and copper was directing traffic and gave her an absolute roasting...I haven't changed it though of course...It would block airflow to my fmic officer!!
Old 08 December 2000, 05:07 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I have heard that one of the reasons for the crackdown on non-standard plates is because of the introduction of the digital speed cameras which read your plate.

Obviously, this means that the rear number plate attracts more attention if it is non-standard.

Can't speak for the accuracy of this tho'
Old 08 December 2000, 05:23 PM
Zip
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the response guys - I am indeed tending toward the legel option, if only because if they ever do a SERIOUS clamp down, the illegal plate will looks pants back in its "legal" order (and will be worthless to anyone else). Rather defeats the object of a personalised plate. There is a guy up my road with a Lexus GS300 with plate reading V300 BJ. Let's hope those aren't his initials (fnarr)! Looks cool though. I will continue the debate over the weekend, and make a decision on Monday.

Cheers,
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

Old 08 December 2000, 07:00 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Smile

As I believe it, the three strikes rumour is true.

I was informed by a friendly policeman that on the third strike it's a £1000 fine and the numberplate is withdrawn with no refund.

After my second "strike" i chose for legal plates before the third expensive strike hit me!!

David
Old 08 December 2000, 09:35 PM
silver
Scooby Regular

Zip
I bought my wife a plate for her birthday and have moved an o to make a zero but kept the spaces otherwise legal!
Have had no problems and neither has my father in law who has had similar plate for 2 years.
I have seen so many blatent plate alterations that you would be very unlucky to be stopped with slight alterations.
On a different note but of a similar illegal nature I am amazed at the number of cars I come across every morning and night with fog lights on (not foggy), now thats a reason to stop the car and then check plates etc!!