Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold my scoob, left all my other keys in it!!!!!!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2007, 12:42 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold my scoob, left all my other keys in it!!!!!!! Help!

Hi All,

I reluctantly sold my Silver 95 STI v2 yesterday after just over 2 years of ownership, unfortunately for me I somehow managed to leave a set of keys in it!!

Its a silver classic STI, gold alloys, registration N645 CDC.

When the chap called me it was number withheld so I dont have his number.

The gentleman I sold it to was a nice enough chap, he got a good deal and I'm happy with what I got for it, but I need those keys back!

The buyer was from Darlington.

So, if anyone sees it, please could you let me know where and when, or even have a word and ask him to ring me!

Cheers

Dave
Old 03 August 2007, 01:07 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you not get his name and address for the registration document?
Old 03 August 2007, 01:12 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prof_dave
Hi All,

I reluctantly sold my Silver 95 STI v2 yesterday after just over 2 years of ownership, unfortunately for me I somehow managed to leave a set of keys in it!!

Its a silver classic STI, gold alloys, registration N645 CDC.

When the chap called me it was number withheld so I dont have his number.

The gentleman I sold it to was a nice enough chap, he got a good deal and I'm happy with what I got for it, but I need those keys back!

The buyer was from Darlington.

So, if anyone sees it, please could you let me know where and when, or even have a word and ask him to ring me!

Cheers

Dave
I'm from Darlington. I'll keep an eye out for you.

As said above, he must have left a name and adress for the V5 form, no?
Old 03 August 2007, 01:25 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, my head is battered I never kept the V5, I sign and date the declaration and he sends it off?

Thats what I thought anyway?

This is the first car I've sold so maybe made a mistake there, needless to say I've learned my lesson.
Old 03 August 2007, 01:28 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

No read the V5 you have to send it off. If he doesn't bother you'll get all the speeding fines. He just gets the green slip to say he owns the car.

5t.
Old 03 August 2007, 01:35 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope he paid by cash
Old 03 August 2007, 01:38 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
I hope he paid by cash
yeah, it was cash, its safely in the bank now thnkfully
Old 03 August 2007, 01:39 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Change the locks that those keys open. If he is not as nice a guy as he seems, and he effects an unforced entry, whatever he takes will not be insured. Be that cars, house contents or whatever
Old 03 August 2007, 01:40 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

fivetide is correct,

the V5 is your responsibility to send back to the DVLA, under law even though you have now sold the car, you are still responsible for it until the V5 is returned and as such will recieve all the parking fines, speeding fines etc. if the new owner forgets or decides not to send it back.
Old 03 August 2007, 01:44 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
No read the V5 you have to send it off. If he doesn't bother you'll get all the speeding fines. He just gets the green slip to say he owns the car.

5t.
Yes, you're right, I've just read the directions on the v5 for my other car, I really should have read it properly.
Old 03 August 2007, 01:59 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Don't suppose you had a Tracker fitted did you? If you did, just phone up and get them to tell you where the car is.

Where do you live by the way? How far from Darlington are you? If I spot it (and you want to PM me your number) I can phone you, and you can come through and speak to him.
Old 03 August 2007, 02:10 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Don't suppose you had a Tracker fitted did you? If you did, just phone up and get them to tell you where the car is.

Where do you live by the way? How far from Darlington are you? If I spot it (and you want to PM me your number) I can phone you, and you can come through and speak to him.
It has got a tracker fitted (RAC Trackstar), although I never used it, (wouldn't have wanted the car back if it was stolen tbh).

I live in Sunderland, 30 miles or so, but obviously I'd gladly travel straight down to Darlington if you spotted it.

I've PM'd my mobile number, thanks very much for all this, and thanks for not pointing out that I've been really stupid.

Dave
Old 03 August 2007, 02:17 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

No worries chap. When i bought my Supra the guy left his wallet etc in it, i had all his bank cards the lot. Good job i'm honest, posted them back to him asap having phoned him up. took a day to notice though when i opened the centre console. where the keys in an obvious place? If he's honest i would expect a call. if you here nothing then as suggested, get the locks changed.

I was 250 miles away when i realised, he's only 30 which is possibly more worrying.

And if you didn't this time, next time give the buyer a reciept and keep a copy with his signature on it, just incase he does "test" the car through a speed camera.

5t.
Old 03 August 2007, 02:23 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

It has got a tracker fitted (RAC Trackstar), although I never used it, (wouldn't have wanted the car back if it was stolen tbh).

I live in Sunderland, 30 miles or so, but obviously I'd gladly travel straight down to Darlington if you spotted it.

I've PM'd my mobile number, thanks very much for all this, and thanks for not pointing out that I've been really stupid.

Dave

PM recieved

TBH i'd contact Trackstar (say at 1am) when there is a good chance the car will be parked where he lives. Just ask for a Tracker check. I did this a couple months ago when I renewed my subscription (just to make sure it was working). They phoned me back with the exact location.

I'll keep my eye peeled.

TBH just drive down a sit outside the Shell garage on Woodlands Road. It'll show up soon enough
Old 03 August 2007, 02:29 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
PM recieved

TBH i'd contact Trackstar (say at 1am) when there is a good chance the car will be parked where he lives. Just ask for a Tracker check. I did this a couple months ago when I renewed my subscription (just to make sure it was working). They phoned me back with the exact location.

I'll keep my eye peeled.

TBH just drive down a sit outside the Shell garage on Woodlands Road. It'll show up soon enough
Thanks for that, what a great idea about the tracker, I'll give them a buzz late on tonight, I know what you mean about the shell garage, I was on first name terms with the staff at my local shell. They wont be seeing me much now though as I drive a 40-50mpg oil burner.

I had actually considered camping out at the shell garage, as a last resort. Thats desperation!

dave
Old 03 August 2007, 02:32 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

Sorry to say this Dave but you have really been stupid.

On a serious note though, someone might spot him and you get your keys back etc. But there's nothing to say he has not had some copies made. These things do happen,be on the safe side and change the locks.

Regards Red.
Old 03 August 2007, 02:38 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Red Rocket 11166
Sorry to say this Dave but you have really been stupid.

On a serious note though, someone might spot him and you get your keys back etc. But there's nothing to say he has not had some copies made. These things do happen,be on the safe side and change the locks.

Regards Red.
Yes mate, I'm already making enquiries about getting the locks changed, this is going to be expensive whatever happens.

We live and learn eh.

dave
Old 03 August 2007, 02:42 PM
WR1 Bro
Scooby Regular

I would right a letter to the DVLA explaining your mistake with the V5.

Do you know his name or anything else about him?

Name, surname, town of residence and anything else you can add. There are certain sites you can use to TRY and locate people. PM any of these details and I will see what I can do.
Old 03 August 2007, 02:42 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Just had a quote from the dealer to get the locks replaced on the missues car, and get the alarm transponder code changed.....

£1050.

ouch
ouch

ouch

Old 03 August 2007, 02:44 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Find the boy now!

5t.
Old 03 August 2007, 02:46 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1 Bro
I would right a letter to the DVLA explaining your mistake with the V5.

Do you know his name or anything else about him?

Name, surname, town of residence and anything else you can add. There are certain sites you can use to TRY and locate people. PM any of these details and I will see what I can do.
Thaks mate but I've got nothing, the buyer and his mate came in a 4x4 (maroon type color I think), they're from darlington, they work together (dont know what they do mind), they've done some work in sunderland before (thats how they found my house without too many problems).

So nothing at all to go on really.

Edit: I've wrote a letter out for the DVLA, the thing is I darent go out to post it! gonna go out when the missus gets back, dont wanna leave the house empty!

Last edited by prof_dave; 03 August 2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03 August 2007, 02:50 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

as said above, getting the keys back wont help you.

get a steering lock for the missus' car in the meantime, and change the deadlock (mortice lock) at home as a quick safeguard.

makes you think though, easily done....

i guess your not really a professor? maybe an absent minded one? eh??

good luck though
Old 03 August 2007, 02:53 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
No worries chap. When i bought my Supra the guy left his wallet etc in it, i had all his bank cards the lot. Good job i'm honest, posted them back to him asap having phoned him up. took a day to notice though when i opened the centre console. where the keys in an obvious place? If he's honest i would expect a call. if you here nothing then as suggested, get the locks changed.

I was 250 miles away when i realised, he's only 30 which is possibly more worrying.

And if you didn't this time, next time give the buyer a reciept and keep a copy with his signature on it, just incase he does "test" the car through a speed camera.

5t.
They were in the center console hole behind the handbrake, I have them on a little carabina normally so I can leave the engine running, unclip the garage and house keys, and open the garage without having to turn off the engine.

The annoying thing is, the little spring on the carabina only broke yesterday morning!! so when I got in the car to take them for a spin I put them in the center console. By the time we'd made the deal and the guy left, it was dark, so theres no chance of him seeing them last night.

I'm praying for this phone to ring.

dave
Old 03 August 2007, 02:59 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
as said above, getting the keys back wont help you.

get a steering lock for the missus' car in the meantime, and change the deadlock (mortice lock) at home as a quick safeguard.

makes you think though, easily done....

i guess your not really a professor? maybe an absent minded one? eh??

good luck though
I'm the nutty professor mate, must be to do summat like this - we've got upvc doors so I'll have to get a man in to do it, the burglar alarm is a code one thankfully and I know all my neighbours quite well so I've had a word - they're going to keep their eyes and ears open. I'm borrowing a lock off a mate for our lasses motor as a temp measure.

::sigh
Old 03 August 2007, 04:01 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't the guy send them back when he finds them?

When I brought my last car the guy I brought it from left me two sets of keys for the car and there were some random ones as well. I rang him back and turned out he gave me his garage and shed keys. So I just sent them back in registered post... surely this chap would do the same once he notices?
Old 03 August 2007, 04:46 PM
loafofbrett
Scooby Regular

Just had a quote from the dealer to get the locks replaced on the missues car, and get the alarm transponder code changed.....

£1050.
Would be cheaper to just get an alarm with it's own immobiliser fitted.
Old 03 August 2007, 04:52 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by loafofbrett
Would be cheaper to just get an alarm with it's own immobiliser fitted.
Yeah mate, I could get a new alarm put in (wouldnt get round the key issue tho) or get something like a mul-t-lock fitted.

Either way would be a lot cheaper than £1050.
Old 03 August 2007, 04:54 PM
prof_dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossi_p
Wouldn't the guy send them back when he finds them?

When I brought my last car the guy I brought it from left me two sets of keys for the car and there were some random ones as well. I rang him back and turned out he gave me his garage and shed keys. So I just sent them back in registered post... surely this chap would do the same once he notices?
I hope so mate, fingers crossed. I thought he would have phoned today, maybe he's been at work or something though, he probably wouldnt have taken the scoob to work cos theres no chance he would have got insurance so quick.
Old 03 August 2007, 04:57 PM
loafofbrett
Scooby Regular

Yeah mate, I could get a new alarm put in (wouldnt get round the key issue tho) or get something like a mul-t-lock fitted.

Either way would be a lot cheaper than £1050.
Yes, they have the keys, but if they unlcoked the door, then the new alarm will sound. If they didn't have the keys then they'd just smash the window to get in. Which is louder?

The car won't start, even with the correct key, if they haven't disarmed the alarms immobiliser. If they're clever enough to do that on the spot, then they're clever enough to steal your car without a transponder key anyawy.
Old 03 August 2007, 07:09 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Register and stick a post up here.

TyneTeesScoobies.

Few Darlo lads on the Forum..

Quick Reply: Sold my scoob, left all my other keys in it!!!!!!! Help!