ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p1

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2007, 09:29 PM
bonzee
Scooby Regular

Location: knocking on the door of 400bhp with v power smashed through it with e85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p1

hi guys at what mileage do the bottom ends go on average? and what would be the rebuild/renew price be,also any thing else to look out for on the p1 .
Old 02 August 2007, 10:06 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

From what i gather, Its usually around the 60k mark but im no expert! some last longer, some not so long and a rebild would be around the 3k mark but dont quote me as im sure someone with more knowledge will be along to correct me.Hope this helps and also visit the p1 owners site.
P1 Web Owners Club :: Warning, may contain nuts!
Old 02 August 2007, 10:34 PM
bonzee
Scooby Regular

Location: knocking on the door of 400bhp with v power smashed through it with e85

p1 owners web site not working?apart from engine. any thing else?
Old 02 August 2007, 10:56 PM
StuS
Scooby Regular

It's working OK for me

I think that you need to register before you can read or post in the forums.
Old 03 August 2007, 07:25 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are no different to any other scooby ( and identical to JDM STiV/VIs apart from the broquet/ slightly expanded knock correction), UNLESS they have been decatted and or had induction kits done. If so, they can run lean in two places in the rev range.So, if standard and untouched, you should be alright.

If they have been decatted, but have been remapped properly for Uk fuel or whatever fuel they are running on ( I run mine on V power and a splash of NF race for safety as it was Tek 3ed for optimax plus NF Race then they should be fine too.

Mine has done 48K overall from new with me (yes, less than the magic 60 k oooeerr) of which 18 was as standard and 30 remapped/ decatted including plenty of track days, high speed running, etc. I monitor fuel quality (quite variable) with a knocklink and run octane booster too and so far so good. probably 75% of all my mileage has been in pure fun i.e. attack mode.
Old 03 August 2007, 07:35 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Saying they are no different from other Impreza's is quite interesting as a past warranty renewal from Subaru quoted higher premiums and a lower mileage limits for P1's.
Other Impreza's were cheaper to extend warranties and the warranty could be renewed on cars with over 60k miles, unlike the P1 if i recall correctly.
Nik.

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
They are no different to any other scooby ( and identical to JDM STiV/VIs apart from the broquet/ slightly expanded knock correction), UNLESS they have been decatted and or had induction kits done. If so, they can run lean in two places in the rev range.So, if standard and untouched, you should be alright.

If they have been decatted, but have been remapped properly for Uk fuel or whatever fuel they are running on ( I run mine on V power and a splash of NF race for safety as it was Tek 3ed for optimax plus NF Race then they should be fine too.

Mine has done 48K overall from new with me (yes, less than the magic 60 k oooeerr) of which 18 was as standard and 30 remapped/ decatted including plenty of track days, high speed running, etc. I monitor fuel quality (quite variable) with a knocklink and run octane booster too and so far so good. probably 75% of all my mileage has been in pure fun i.e. attack mode.
Old 03 August 2007, 08:18 PM
WRC300
Scooby Newbie

I have not long acquired a P1 ...had a full bottom end rebuild at 67k.

Most are still running on the original engine ...see P1 owners forum.

It does appear that the odd bottom end rebuild has been around the 60k mark.

It has been suggested that this is due to some form of oil failure and running the car flat out at a silly length of time....if your looking to do this maybe a Porsche would be more suitable.

Recommendations are to change your oil every 3k or so, upgrade oil pump and change the MAF sensor every year, i would also invest in a couple of gauges and a knocklink.

If you are unlucky for whatever reason and require a bottom end rebuild... spend the extra pennies and have the version 9 crank, rods, bearings...forged pistons also are recommended ...this would give you a much stronger bottom end.

Have to say i sold my newage scooby to purchase the P1 and do not regret it one little bit ...
Old 03 August 2007, 09:35 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

mine is pushing 400 bhp/370lbs ....no probs at all (all depends on the owner driving and maintenance )
Old 03 August 2007, 09:36 PM
p1prodrive
Scooby Regular

theres no proof of any certain mileage that they ''let go'' mine hasnt.
Old 04 August 2007, 07:59 AM
bonzee
Scooby Regular

nice guys put my mind at rest ,very good info will be travelling up to rotherham if car is still for sale in the garage looks sweet and has all gauges, and with the bit of money left over for some tweeks cheers!!!
Old 05 August 2007, 11:57 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Saying they are no different from other Impreza's is quite interesting as a past warranty renewal from Subaru quoted higher premiums and a lower mileage limits for P1's.
Other Impreza's were cheaper to extend warranties and the warranty could be renewed on cars with over 60k miles, unlike the P1 if i recall correctly.
Nik.
They are obviously higher power than the standard 215bhp uk models, which run very rich and so are resistant to leaning out too much when decatted, whereas the P1 runs leaner to get the power and is fine if not decatted / induction kitted. If they are decatted i.e. breathing better, the ecu is unable to enrich the fuel mix enough over a certain level without a remap, leaving two particular areas in the rev range dangerously lean. 99/2000 MAFs (p1 or standard cars) are a weakness too ( don't like vibration or any dirt at all) and should be replaced every year for safety's sake ( circa £85 DIY job).

I would lay good money down that the majority of the P1 claims have been down to decats / induction kits and/or MAFs. I would also like to know how many that have been properly mapped for their set up have had a problem.