2008 NEW SCOOB IT'S GOING TO BE GREAT

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2007, 08:14 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink 2008 NEW SCOOB IT'S GOING TO BE GREAT

A change of heart really looking forward to the new model, the 08 STi and not the "WRX" version.

Not that I'm regarded as having taste, I bought a (bugeye) MY02STiUKPPP and loved that. Mind you I didn't buy that because it was an Oil Painting but because of WRC and it' performance

Some people have ordered a JDM "STi" version for December. But I am going to wait till Spring 08, I've been told that the UK version will not be a watered down JDM version and some important cosmetic changes

I might change my mind when i see and drive it

Tony
Old 01 August 2007, 08:26 PM
DLP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good things come to those who wait tony,and leave bugeyes alone.
Old 01 August 2007, 09:28 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by DLP
Good things come to those who wait tony,and leave bugeyes alone.
LOL Sorry don't want to open that old tiresome debate, as said I loved mine, still have it as a screen saver on my phone

Back to Topic

There has been so many pessimistic threads about the 2008 STi (I have contributed to some) With my optimistic head on thought it was time we had a Positive thread.

Am I the only person here that is willing to believe in the new model,
After all everyones slated the UK STi before seeing or even driving it

Tony
Old 01 August 2007, 10:04 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

2008 STi is pants, I test drove it in my mind last week

It will be interesting to see what it is like when it arrives. I posted a thread up the other day about the Aussie version already being restyled. They may have a good rethink between now and launch date.
Old 01 August 2007, 11:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive always stood up for the new 2008 car, its going to be a big leap ahead, people can think what they want, classics are old and out of date, bugeyes are old and out of date, blobs are old and out of date, hawkeyes are nearly out of date but this should be a breath of fresh air (unless you own a classic and then its damn ugly )

Tony
Old 01 August 2007, 11:39 PM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

all of us have yet to see the STI...yes the WRX looks pants with no arch flares, but word in journo circles is the STI will have big flares and a crazy rear wing. i am reserving judgement on the looks until we get an official pic...but the performance should be a big leap ahead as should the interior and the overall fit and finish. the americans have tested the WRX already and apparently it's a similair upgrade to the blob-to-hawkeye; more linear power but FEELS slower because of it and a much better ride due to the all new rear suspension setup. it's also got a longer wheelbase. we'll find out soon, won't we chaps? even the WRX is getting a twin scroll this time round.....
Old 02 August 2007, 12:08 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by carnivorous
more linear power but FEELS slower because of it and a much better ride due to the all new rear suspension setup. it's also got a longer wheelbase. ...
the STi should be the Bee's.... refreshing to here some positive post

Originally Posted by carnivorous
even the WRX is getting a twin scroll this time round.....
My 350hp Twin scroll seems to perform better than some 400HP cars

Tony
Old 02 August 2007, 12:23 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

I'm been an avid supporter of the new Impreza from the start. I'm looking forward to the potential and I hope inevitable Spec C/Type RA variant. That is where I will be placing my money, either that or I will keep my current MY06 Type RA and stroke the engine to a 2.2.
Old 02 August 2007, 12:26 AM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
My 350hp Twin scroll seems to perform better than some 400HP cars
funny you should say that...my ~270bhp WRX PPP "outperformed" my mates 320bhp M3 coming off a roundabout the other day.

i think it was down to the driver though...he's CRAP....saw me get on the power and decided to floor it..told me later he probably would have spun it but the traction control said "no way dude" and cut his power out from underneath him.

HAHAHAHAHA. he was gutted.

on a serious note, i have NO DOUBT the 2008 models will be great cars and much better than any previous scoobys, it's just that the WRX is so damn fugly it's hard to love it. should be good though///especially as the chassis is getting EVEN stiffer - it's already a good 40% stiffer than most other cars on the road now.

BUT if the STI looks anywhere near what the jap mags are predicting i need to start saving my money now!!!

PLUS it's a hatch...shades of Lancia Integrale anyone?

i think it's gonna look good (for a scooby)!

here's some of the predictions if you haven't seen em yet (the top one i think is actually pretty damn close and looks the MUTTS if you ask me):

http://www.auto-talk.net/pictures/da...mpreza_WRX.jpg

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee98090/cm...osure..ee98091

http://images.motortrend.com/future/..._sti+front.jpg

http://www.heiser.net/media/2008_STi.jpg

http://imgup-lb.automotive.com:8080/...74348.w500.jpg

http://www.scoobyblog.com/wp-content...sti2008_03.jpg
Old 02 August 2007, 12:31 AM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

Default AND I QUOTE

"Sixty mph should come in around 4.5 seconds, and the quarter-mile mark in about 12.5. The boxer powerplant will be mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox — no automatic or twin-clutch system will be offered. What's new is Subaru's SI-Drive. This system, already in the Legacy spec.B, allows the driver to map the throttle to three different settings: Intelligent, Sport and Sport Sharp. It modifies the engine's torque characteristics, changing the way power is delivered. Intelligent mode is programmed for everyday commuting, while Sport Sharp is intended for sessions under the red mist, with super-quick throttle response and faster power delivery to the four wheels.

There probably won't be fancy traction- or yaw-control systems in the STI like in the Evo X, but DCCD (driver's control center differential) remains, allowing the driver to vary the torque delivery between the front and rear axles. The suspension system will be MacPherson struts up front and a multilink setup at the rear, the latter similar in geometry to that of the Legacy wagon. There are rumors that custom performance dampers, produced with Yamaha, and 6-pot front brake calipers from Brembo may make it into production. A yaw-control system similar to Mitsubishi's AYC is said to be in the works, but we're not sure if it will make it into this car. What we do know is the new STI will have sharper handling characteristics than the current model, without a sacrifice in ride quality, thanks to improved structural rigidity, a retuned suspension and its compact size."

sounds fine to me.....
Old 02 August 2007, 12:37 AM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

and another one....

just spoke to a journo mate and he reckons these two are pretty much spot on what the car will look like come production:

FRONT:

http://imgup-lb.automotive.com:8080/...74348.w500.jpg

REAR:

http://www.auto-talk.net/pictures/da...mpreza_WRX.jpg

looks small and chuckable and tough compared to the Evo....

i can live with that!

better start saving
Old 02 August 2007, 07:23 AM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

It looks promising, but there's a lot of progress to be made. The bug/hawk came out 7 years ago and the competion is much tougher than it was then.

I hope it will succeed, but I don't hold out high hopes that IM will support it properly. If the Sti were to be around the £22k mark there'd be a really good chance, but I worry that they'll price it at £30k which will be too much. Big Scoob fan that I am I just can't see it will be that good

If it is priced at £30k then you'll have all the importers under cutting IM. They'll then start chucking out silly special editions every 6 months which will be bad for residuals.
Old 02 August 2007, 08:31 AM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Looks quite good, although I doubt it will come with those wheels or ride height.
Old 02 August 2007, 08:40 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I'm looking forward to seeing the new shape - especially the STI version - currenty looking for something to replace my MY05 Blob. When is the official launch date for the STI ? Agree with the comments that IM will overprice the car and hance the importers will undercut them, But that doe not botther me as my last two Scoobys have been imports !

PS hope that there is more colour choice for the interior this time - blue interior on a black car does not go IMHO !

Richard

Last edited by richs2891; 02 August 2007 at 08:42 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 02 August 2007, 10:21 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
. When is the official launch date for the STI ?
Richard,

Not certain but the "WRX" ish one is due Autumm and the STi Spring2008.

But importers are getting STi's for December ish

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Agree with the comments that IM will overprice the car and hance the importers will undercut them, But that doe not botther me as my last two Scoobys have been imports !
You probably right

Tony
Old 02 August 2007, 10:34 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

This is the official pic of 2008 sti . From very gud source in Subaru. Sti version will come in 2 versions

280 Bhp and 340 bhp then drop PPP on it and i think it will be a real goer. Have been told this is not a pic of the uk version Sti . Apparantly Uk model will be slightly more agreesive look. I have been invited to the official uk launch .

Would i have one Yes . I quite like it and yes it maybe time to sell current P1 and see what deals i can get on 2008 sti.

Having looked at pic i think it needs ( dont laugh ) front number plate on it and blue flaps and i personaly think it will look dandy. Only thing they should have done is drop the name Impreza , And called it something different.

Last edited by Shropshire-Guy; 02 August 2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02 August 2007, 02:17 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I got a news letter from MRT today. They reckon the new STI looks like this,

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/newslette...st/sti08_6.jpg after some spy shots in Germany at Nürburgring Nordschlieffe.
Old 02 August 2007, 02:27 PM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

Default ERRRRRRM.

Originally Posted by WREXY
I got a news letter from MRT today. They reckon the new STI looks like this,

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/newslette...st/sti08_6.jpg after some spy shots in Germany at Nürburgring Nordschlieffe.

the last two look pretty much the same as the one i put up before:

so that looks roughly like what it's gonna be is my guess.

not bad TBH.
Old 02 August 2007, 02:28 PM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shropshire-Guy
This is the official pic of 2008 sti . I have been invited to the official uk launch .
I'll most likely be seeing you there then mate. Let's see what kind of crappy launch gifts they have for us this time - 555 watch anyone?

Old 02 August 2007, 04:39 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Shropshire-Guy
Apparantly Uk model will be slightly more agreesive look.
Yep heard they are doing a "Prodrive style" like they did with the 02STiUK

also heard it won't be a "Watered down" JDM version

I don't mind red LED rear lights but hate the drop silver/clear ones like on my 06 Sti

Tony
Old 02 August 2007, 04:53 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Am I the only person here that is willing to believe in the new model, After all everyones slated the UK STi before seeing or even driving it
Nope!

After seeing those new STi shots it actually lOOks real good. I'm lOOking forward to seeing/driving one.

Best better the bank balance before Spring then.
Old 02 August 2007, 05:00 PM
Will
BANNED

very nice. how much will the sti cost? have they put a price on it yet
Old 03 August 2007, 11:15 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by mr_impreza
very nice. how much will the sti cost? have they put a price on it yet
The highest price "They" can get away with

rumours reckon slightly cheaper than the outgoing 07 STi. Wont be by that much or would hurt secondhand values to much

Tony
Old 03 August 2007, 11:36 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

A change of heart really looking forward to the new model, the 08 STi and not the "WRX" version.

Not that I'm regarded as having taste, I bought a (bugeye) MY02STiUKPPP and loved that. Mind you I didn't buy that because it was an Oil Painting but because of WRC and it' performance

Some people have ordered a JDM "STi" version for December. But I am going to wait till Spring 08, I've been told that the UK version will not be a watered down JDM version and some important cosmetic changes

I might change my mind when i see and drive it

Tony
You'll need a tin of this.

Old 03 August 2007, 01:12 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

I'd just put the ugly thing in a car crusher and be done with it. Nasty IMO
Old 03 August 2007, 01:28 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

What made me chuckle recently was the Autocar 0-100-0 test.

They took our current flagship Impreza, the RB320 and tested it against various other cars. The BMW 335i beat it to 100 (just). Says it all about the game moving on. Owning an Impreza involves compromises, and when you are paying nearly the same money you would at least expect some performance advantage. Not to mention the 335i responds better to cheap tuning.
Old 03 August 2007, 01:44 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Luminous
What made me chuckle recently was the Autocar 0-100-0 test.

They took our current flagship Impreza, the RB320 and tested it against various other cars. The BMW 335i beat it to 100 (just). Says it all about the game moving on. Owning an Impreza involves compromises, and when you are paying nearly the same money you would at least expect some performance advantage. Not to mention the 335i responds better to cheap tuning.
Can you buy a 335 for the same price as an RB320?? Thought they would be more somehow.
Old 03 August 2007, 02:02 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hol
Can you buy a 335 for the same price as an RB320?? Thought they would be more somehow.

I thought so too. Plus driving a BMW, everyone will think you're a sales rep .......................

And a Pr1ck
Old 03 August 2007, 02:10 PM
Hepy
Scooby Regular

Are the JDM's sticking with the 2.0?
Old 03 August 2007, 10:06 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by stilover
You'll need a tin of this.
LOL

Version 1 cars wasn't a pretty car, The hawkeye was best of Version 2 and Version 3 is totally different.

IM are fully aware that "The ugly duckling" will never be "Swan" and it will take more than a new Front Grille to please us in UK.

Short term they will have to make it more appealing (prodrive styling) and to get Bums on seats to convincing peeps about Handling & Performance.

long term will be WRC performance,

IMHO

The fun I have behind the wheel, is the reason I have bought all my Subaru's and not because they were "Pretty" Cars

Originally Posted by Hepy
Are the JDM's sticking with the 2.0?
Probably, don't they need to for Holmogation in the Group N class!!! but that is if Group N has still got a future

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 03 August 2007 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 NEW SCOOB IT'S GOING TO BE GREAT