Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Told you so! Subaru UK in '08 WRX U-Turn...

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2007, 09:55 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Told you so! Subaru UK in '08 WRX U-Turn...

Subaru U-turn over WRX | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

I can't be bothered to find the post where I said this would happen months ago

(Sorry if SIAL btw.. but at work so really shouldn't be messing around on here anyhow!!)

Last edited by Prasius; 24 July 2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 24 July 2007, 10:01 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It still looks sh*t though
Old 24 July 2007, 12:06 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by [Davey]
It still looks sh*t though
Agreed. Do you think they'll make the USDM one with a boot in RHD?
Old 24 July 2007, 12:29 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
Do you think they'll make the USDM one with a boot in RHD?
No. Reason I say that is because the Saloon is only being made at Subaru's US factory. I can't see them closing a production line for US-bound LHD's in order to build a comparatively small number of RHD cars.
Old 24 July 2007, 12:34 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Have Subaru been employing R&D and Marketing staff from GM??

People dont buy Subaru's because they are a sensible economically sound vehicle.. The only reason Subaru has ANY kind of foot hold on the market in this country is because of the performance versions.. As most people have said over the last few months they have seriously shot them selves in the foot with this one.
Old 24 July 2007, 12:44 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
People dont buy Subaru's because they are a sensible economically sound vehicle.. The only reason Subaru has ANY kind of foot hold on the market in this country
You hit the nail on the head there.. "in this country".

The UK market is tiny for Subaru; the Japanese and US markets are far bigger. So they build a car that will succeed in their largest markets. No brainer really.

The UK is a Sales Freak as far as Subaru is concerned in the fact that Performance Imprezas (be that WRX or STI) are their main seller. That isn't the case in any other of their markets; and don't kid yourself that it is. Hell, I don't even think there is another market were the Impreza is their sales leader.. let alone ones with turbos slapped on the side.

But I've said all this til I'm blue in the face already.... People need to wait and drive one..
Old 24 July 2007, 12:56 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Its a shame really.. And with the increase of sandal wearing hippy tree huggers there will be even less demand because everyone will be buying their Hybrid cars powered by batteries filled with toxic chemicals which will be the next big "environmental" concern..
Old 24 July 2007, 01:00 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Makes me laugh when car makers do the whole "trade your old car in, buy a brand new less polluting one! Lower YOUR carbon footprint!" - when you could probably drive around in your old "polluting" car for about 20 years before you even came close to the carbon output of making a brand new car.
Old 24 July 2007, 01:02 PM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

I think the 3dr could be very cool!!!!! take the Focus ...... BORING!!!!!!

WRC Focus..... hmmmmmm
Old 24 July 2007, 01:04 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
20 years before you even came close to the carbon output of making a brand new car.
Sad fact is, humans are stupid animals.
Old 24 July 2007, 01:08 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

link not working for me
Old 24 July 2007, 01:12 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

the sti is due out the following march, had a chat with a sales manager on friday about it.

think there aiming more for the general market ratehr than the performance enthusiast

sti is suposed to be a bit special so he said.
Old 24 July 2007, 01:14 PM
bogie
Scooby Regular

The whole thing was probably a lot of sh*t to get the current WRX's to shift by making people think it might be their last chance to get one.

They were probably sent loads of "why no WRX" emails too.

Now IM's stocks are at a more confortable level, they now say we'll get a new style WRX?
Old 24 July 2007, 09:08 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No No No No No!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Prasius
No. Reason I say that is because the Saloon is only being made at Subaru's US factory. I can't see them closing a production line for US-bound LHD's in order to build a comparatively small number of RHD cars.

Subaru is owned by Toyota now, right? This new Impreza is actually a Corolla or something, right?
No, not at all. General Motors was holding onto a non-controlling share of Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru's parent company) up until this past Fall when they sold them. Some of them (8.7%) were sold to Toyota. Shortly afterwards, Toyota was looking at some major profits and several rumors began about them being in the position to buy Subaru entirely. Toyota quickly dismissed the rumors citing that they felt comfortable with their current involvement with Subaru, and were enjoying the collaborative efforts that were underway.
The new Impreza is 100% Subaru (if you don't count the individual parts made by Nissan, Mitsubishi, KYB, Brembo, etc, etc, etc). It's a Subaru design, through & through.
Where will the new Impreza be built?
The new Impreza is to be built in Gunma, Japan. There were rumors about the Impreza being built in the US alongside the Legacy (in Lafayette, IN), but agreements made with Toyota have led to Toyota using the extra space.
Extract from FHI Q and A about the New Impreza
Sorry to wee wee on that one guys

PS. This may be a good reason too
Litchfield Imports

And the engine bay looks remarkably like a Legacy as well, seeing that most of it is

FAQ: 2008 Subaru Impreza - News & Rumors - NASIOC The Full Story

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 24 July 2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 25 July 2007, 09:31 AM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

From what I have been told Subaru in Europe can afford to have the factory produce a relatively short run of cars and still meet their EU emissions targets. If that is the case then they can probably just adjust their WRX quote depending on the number of STI they sell during the year

It must be difficult/frustrating for Subaru as the new Impreza launch is coming at the same time as manufacturers have to meet these new EU emissions targets across their model range. I would guess it will take a little time to get the balance right and access demand.

Given the similar specification of the new WRX I think they’ll have no problems selling the GB270 models which look good value.

Iain
Old 25 July 2007, 09:34 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Hmm wonder if that engine cover will fit on a classic?
Old 25 July 2007, 12:32 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
The new Impreza is to be built in Gunma, Japan. There were rumors about the Impreza being built in the US alongside the Legacy (in Lafayette, IN), but agreements made with Toyota have led to Toyota using the extra space.
Not after an argument, but..

The last thing I saw was that the saloon would be built in the Lafayette factory. Trying to think where I saw it, but pretty sure it was a Subaru US press release after the motorshow debut. Made sense to me at the time seeing as it was only going to be sold in the US... of course, things may have changed, but unless Subaru makes a RHD Saloon for the Japanese market I doubt very much we'll get it.

Presumably the STI model will have higher emissions than the WRX? Or am I missing something?
Old 25 July 2007, 01:47 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LitchfieldImports
From what I have been told Subaru in Europe can afford to have the factory produce a relatively short run of cars and still meet their EU emissions targets. If that is the case then they can probably just adjust their WRX quote depending on the number of STI they sell during the year

It must be difficult/frustrating for Subaru as the new Impreza launch is coming at the same time as manufacturers have to meet these new EU emissions targets across their model range. I would guess it will take a little time to get the balance right and access demand.

Given the similar specification of the new WRX I think they’ll have no problems selling the GB270 models which look good value.

Iain
Iain,
Not sure what your alluding to, there are no emissions limits fo the company, each discrete model (body, engine, transmission combo) has to meet its relevant standards, so selling one and not another is of no benefit at all.

When you start talking CO2 then the only current implication (not yet ratified into EU law) is the 2012 CO2 manufacturesr average, and that has no specified effect for failure to comply (as clearly Bentley/Ferrari/Lambourghini will fail to meet it).

The current limits known as EU IV will be replaced by tougher linmits starting in 2009 (known as EU V!) but again each individual model has to be approved and show its meeting the requirements.

Simon