Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One thing that Subaru should do in my opinion, the Impreza.

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2007, 06:08 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One thing that Subaru should do in my opinion, the Impreza.

Now this is the point that i don`t get.

Its all well and good that Subaru want a slice of the Focus and family hatchback market so why don`t they design a purpose built car for that seperate market instead of it being at the expense of the impreza ?

In my opinion the Impreza brand/image of being a thoroughbred high performance road car will die a slow death if this is the route that Subaru are taking with the Impreza, its simple to me that if they want to target another area of the market then build a purpose built for that specific market instead letting an established car brand like the Impreza die a slow death as thats what it will do judging by the images of the new car.
Old 16 July 2007, 07:42 PM
shadower
Scooby Regular

Totally agree why kill the impreza but evo have done the same with the last evo 10 fq360 next year ltd edition
fast cars like these will all die out soon and we will be left with daowoo matiz
auto mated to follow the white line and speed limited to the road you are on by sat nav so you have no control of your own all like robots
this technollgy exsists in japan and can be on the roads in 5 years something to look foward to
Old 16 July 2007, 07:50 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
Now this is the point that i don`t get.

Its all well and good that Subaru want a slice of the Focus and family hatchback market so why don`t they design a purpose built car for that seperate market instead of it being at the expense of the impreza ?

In my opinion the Impreza brand/image of being a thoroughbred high performance road car will die a slow death if this is the route that Subaru are taking with the Impreza, its simple to me that if they want to target another area of the market then build a purpose built for that specific market instead letting an established car brand like the Impreza die a slow death as thats what it will do judging by the images of the new car.
I would of thought it was obvious. They don't sell enough WRX & STI around the world to justify the model purely on those derivatives.

To make an entirely new car and keep the Impreza would probably mean building a new car plant, so it's simple ecconomics.

If they can gain even a tiny share of the family hatch market, then they will be selling far more Imprezas than the currently do.

Add in the WRX and STI and they have a complete offering. I think we should all wait and see what we're getting here in the UK, we should also wait and see what Subaru intend to do in the WRC.
Old 16 July 2007, 07:54 PM
shadower
Scooby Regular

good point about the wrc could be intresting
Old 16 July 2007, 07:56 PM
MikeyTang
Scooby Regular

I'm not defending what subaru have done with the Impreza but from a business point of view its the right move to make. The family hatchback market is alot bigger than the fast saloon market.

In order for Subaru to create more brand awareness and sell more cars they have to cater for this market.

Designing a completely new car for this purpose would probably cost too much in R n D so using the Impreza was probably the most cost effective way to do it.

All we can do is cherish the icons we already have and hope the Impreza we all love will return one day
Old 16 July 2007, 07:57 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

The current world leaders in WRC are all Hatchbacks, Subaru (and Mitsubishi) cannot compete with the current car it just cant do it, so they are bringing out a hatch.

The family hatch market etc are all plus points too
Old 16 July 2007, 07:58 PM
MikeyTang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I would of thought it was obvious. They don't sell enough WRX & STI around the world to justify the model purely on those derivatives.

To make an entirely new car and keep the Impreza would probably mean building a new car plant, so it's simple ecconomics.

If they can gain even a tiny share of the family hatch market, then they will be selling far more Imprezas than the currently do.

Add in the WRX and STI and they have a complete offering. I think we should all wait and see what we're getting here in the UK, we should also wait and see what Subaru intend to do in the WRC.

Sorry Martin2005.

Didnt mean to repeat what you said. Guess I need to type quicker.
Old 16 July 2007, 07:58 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Now correct me if i am wrong but isn`t building new things like engine and body plants called expansion ?

If they want to expand their range then let them do it but not at the expense of a current model that is very popular all around the world, if Subaru want to remain a small manufacturer by not expanding their range in comparison with the likes of Ford, Citroen,Toyota and Mitsubishi etc then so be it and RIP the Impreza as we have all remembered it.

The point is here that its fine for them to bring out a hatch but they shouldn`t be doing it at the expense of a current model that is very popular worldwide.
Old 16 July 2007, 08:01 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Now correct me if i am wrong but isn`t building new things like engine and body plants called expansion ?

If they want to expand their range then let them do it but not at the expense of a current model that is very popular all around the world, if Subaru want to remain a small manufacturer by not expanding their range in comparison with the likes of Ford, Citroen,Toyota and Mitsubishi etc then so be it and RIP the Impreza as we have all remembered it.

The point is here that its fine for them to bring out a hatch but they shouldn`t be doing it at the expense of a current model that is very popular worldwide.
It's also hugely expensive and needless

Move on man!
Old 16 July 2007, 08:04 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Move on man!
Move onto what ? Oh you mean move onto a cousin of the Daewoo that looks likes like it its parents were Alan Partridge and Dawn French as lets face it the new Impreza is utter comedy and will provide more laughs than its combined parents did.

Last edited by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby; 16 July 2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 16 July 2007, 08:07 PM
MikeyTang
Scooby Regular

The Impreza maybe be popular but i doubt it sales numbers come anywhere close to that of the focus.

I second yours view on the new Impreza. The design department should be sacked.
Old 16 July 2007, 08:07 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Move onto what ? Oh you mean move onto a cousin of the Daewoo that looks likes like it its parents were Alan Partridge and Dawn French as lets face it the new Impreza is utter comedy.
You'd better look after the car you've got then
Old 16 July 2007, 08:11 PM
willipdarling
Scooby Regular

Just hold onto your saloon then. It will be even more of a cult car.
Old 16 July 2007, 08:23 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

If they were going to bring out a new car aimed at a new market then it should have had a new name.

Personally from the images i have seen i would have called it the Subaru Limpreza because the Impreza as we know it leaves you with a hard on and this new model will just leave people with a limp todger.
Old 16 July 2007, 08:30 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

If they were going to bring out a new car aimed at a new market then it should have had a new name.

Personally from the images i have seen i would have called it the Subaru Limpreza because the Impreza as we know it leaves you with a hard on and this new model will just leave people with a limp todger.
I think you need to move on & get a woman
Old 16 July 2007, 08:34 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

I think you need to move on & get a woman
Car or woman, car or woman, car or woman. Hmmmmm let me think!

One is expensive to run and maintain and is always playing up, a car it has t be then as they are far cheaper to run and maintain.

Last edited by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby; 16 July 2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 16 July 2007, 09:26 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Martin i have to agree with you.

There are ecomomical reasons for the Saloon only being for sale in the US

1) The USA buy 10K more Imprezas than the EU & UK all Subaru model sales so have much more clout IMHO

2) to balance up Production amounts between Saloons and Hatchback

I personally think peeps ought to wait till they see the STi the UK gets. Some info from Japan suggests that will only be very minor differences between EU/UK and JDM's STi's

although i'm not keen on Hatch's now all my kdis have Cars it is now a possibilty.

Tony
Old 16 July 2007, 09:31 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I'm (guessing and) hoping that Subaru launch a 2 door coupe version to use in the WRC like Peugeot did with the 307CC...
Old 16 July 2007, 09:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Withdraw............within two years. Bet on it.

Alcazar
Old 16 July 2007, 09:44 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

you think?

I heard there were rumblings a while ago that they were going to withdraw the running from Prodrive's hands and take it in-house under STI.

Don't think the WRC could survive with only 2 works teams...
Old 17 July 2007, 11:08 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by messiah
you think?

I heard there were rumblings a while ago that they were going to withdraw the running from Prodrive's hands and take it in-house under STI.

Don't think the WRC could survive with only 2 works teams...
I've already got money on it

The new Honda Civic Focuspreza Astra STILL won't be competetive against manufacturers who are allowed to build a prototype from the shell up and run it in the same class, how can it be?

Once Subaru see that, they'll pull the plug.

Alcazar
Old 17 July 2007, 06:39 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've already got money on it

..... STILL won't be competetive against manufacturers who are allowed to build a prototype from the shell up and run it in the same class, how can it be?

You missed out Seat but I know what you mean

There was also talk about dirching Group N because JAP 4WD dominance in favour of the S2000 class.

1) Prodrive has done as much as the could with the Newage chassis, the new Chassis should give them far more options to postion ballast weights for optimum Balance. IMHO

2) I never like Rabbit till I tried it, Diddn't like the Bugeye till I drove the STi, I will reserve Judgement till I see and Drive the MY09 STi UK, I think there will be a few Peeps will be plesently suprised

IMHO Prodrive has done wonderful Job and I certainly don't reckon STi could have done it any better.

Tony
Old 17 July 2007, 07:21 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's not forget that Subaru build more than four models, Impreza,Legacy/Outback,Tribeca (Built in Lafeyette in the US) and Forester. They have a large market in the US as stated, Asia, Australia and NZ. Like any manufacturer they want more. Now Toyota owns a bit they will help this expansion. There are about 90+ Subaru dealers in the UK, so they are still small fry really.

SUBARU : 車種紹介

They have the R1 and 2 which Litchfields is about to import. An awesome City car 660cc and Supercharged and turbo'd, with the lowest CO2 VED band. What a market they could steal there if they switched on.