Sponsored by:

Speeding in hire car

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2007, 01:20 PM
Clubbi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding in hire car

I was driving my bosses hire car a few weeks back, when we got a ticket for 64 in a 50 zone just outside Edinburgh (I was driving)

Car is hired in his name through the company, so whats the position re-him getting any points on his licence - how does that work, he has a US driving license not a UK one? Company insurance covers the insurance.

As things stand I will pay the fine for him, but what happens with the points - nothing ???

Anyone know?
Old 16 July 2007, 01:25 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

If the person who hired the car was not driving, and knows who was, they have to say so when they receive a Notice of Intended Prosicution.
Basically, he has to say who was driving.
Old 16 July 2007, 01:32 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's got a US license just ask him to take the rap and you pay the fine.. Consider yourself lucky this time
Old 16 July 2007, 01:45 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by [Davey]
If he's got a US license just ask him to take the rap and you pay the fine.. Consider yourself lucky this time
If he has a US license the fine will be more than £60 won't it? 2 mates of mine got caught speeding in the same place on the same day doing a similar speed a few years ago. One had a UK license and got 3 points and I think it was £40 back then and the other had a US license. He got a much bigger fine and points on his UK license when he got one. He did get a UK license but the points never appeared He lives back in the US now though
Old 16 July 2007, 01:46 PM
Clubbi
Scooby Regular

Cheers Davey, thought that would be the case.

he has agreed to take the rap if I pay the fine. twas a favour for him I was drivin anyway (although he didnt make me speed )
Old 16 July 2007, 02:13 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Just make sure you stick with that story, if you let slip that you were actually driving you'll be in something deep, sticky, smelly and warm.
Old 16 July 2007, 02:19 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

As I understand it the DVLA will create a UK licence for him and register the point on it.

Technically you are perverting the course of justice by lying about who was driving at the time, which potentially carries a custodial sentence

Trending Topics

Old 16 July 2007, 04:32 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Now you've put a confession of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice (carrying a mandatory jail term if convicted) on a public forum, it may be wise to reconsider......

Get yourself onto FightBack Forums and get some sensible advice!

Simon
Old 16 July 2007, 04:37 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Posting up what you have done on here won't help either. Would ScoobyNet be forced to reveal who you are if the Police came looking?

A "Boy Racer" from Swansea was done recently for speed and destruction. They produced evidence from a website at the trial as proof of his bragging about speeding and his incompetence!
Old 16 July 2007, 04:41 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Posting up what you have done on here won't help either. Would ScoobyNet be forced to reveal who you are if the Police came looking?

A "Boy Racer" from Swansea was done recently for speed and destruction. They produced evidence from a website at the trial as proof of his bragging about speeding and his incompetence!

he was easily traced though as he left his phone number on another post
Old 16 July 2007, 04:52 PM
Clubbi
Scooby Regular

As we aint sent the NIP back yet we have hardly perverted the course of justice, so lets have less of that please

Just looking for advice.
Old 16 July 2007, 05:03 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Father jailed for taking son’s speeding points - Times Online

Beware! while this country is freeing drug dealers and muggers to free up prison space, we are sending 77 year old disabled people to jail for taking the rap for his sons speeding fine to save his sons job.
Old 16 July 2007, 05:45 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clubbi
I was driving my bosses hire car a few weeks back, when we got a ticket for 64 in a 50 zone just outside Edinburgh (I was driving)

Car is hired in his name through the company, so whats the position re-him getting any points on his licence - how does that work, he has a US driving license not a UK one? Company insurance covers the insurance.

As things stand I will pay the fine for him, but what happens with the points - nothing ???

Anyone know?
Exactly - nothing happens with the points.

In Northern Ireland we have a United Kingdon driving license same as you funny enough.
Once of our sales reps was in a hire care in Wales last year, got flashed speeding.
Hire company passed on our details to the police who got in touch with us.
He had to send his license to Swansea for endorsement.
The license was shortly returned with a note stating that because it was a Northern Ireland driving license they could not endorse it.
So if they can't do it with a UK license, there's no hope of doing it to a US license.

Similar to ourselves in a way, if for example we get caught speeding in the republic of Ireland they cannot endorse our N.Ireland license.
Cross border Garda/PSNI relationship isn't that good yet.

Shaun
Old 16 July 2007, 06:17 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

Having worked within the car hire industry for nearly 20 years, I probably receive more NIPs a week than most on here.

In my experience, I’ve never yet know anyone with a U.S. licence or any other non UK one for that matter, to receive any follow up to a speeding fine. We have to nominate who had rented the vehicle and provide a signed copy of the rental agreement (covering s172 of the Road Traffic Act or whatever it’s called).

In normal cases that person will then receive a NIP and so the process goes on. I can’t see it economically viable or worthwhile to try and chase someone who lives half way round the planet. It’s not as if the camera partnerships are short of victims who are based in this country and have a valid UK licence.

Obviously as someone has already mentioned your boss or whoever completes the declaration on the NIP knowing that the details are false, will be liable to prosecution for perverting the course of justice, but how are they likely to find out in this case?

Apparently though according to one of our customers, don’t get flashed in Switzerland, as hell will freeze over before they drop a speeding fine, UK licence holder or not.
Old 17 July 2007, 12:34 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

The currently named US citizen appears to live in this country, they will happily take £60 from him and add 3 points to a shadow licence (so once he hits 12 he is banned from driving IN THIS COUNTRY) for him.

Be sensible, get the person to name you as late as pos (within the 28 days aloud) and get to pepipoo on the link I posted earlier for some legal advice!

Simon
Old 17 July 2007, 01:07 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

stop being such girls blouse and take the hit like everyone else.
Old 17 July 2007, 07:21 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

i thought that even though cars were hired out to indiividuals who work for a company the company insurance does not necessarily cover the car. So as there was notification to the hire company you were driving you may have been driving with no insurance.
Old 17 July 2007, 07:36 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Don't think they can chase foreign visitors (unless they are in the EU) for fines

Don't pay the fine or take the points to the scammers