ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Chipsaway - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2007, 08:06 AM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chipsaway - any good?

I have 2 small dints on my car which I want to get rid of as they annoy me when I have spent hours cleaning it and with it being black they stick out like sores thumbs. Has anyone had any dealings with chipsaway? Are they any good? What is the likely cost to have the 2 dints removed from past experiences?
Old 14 July 2007, 08:47 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

all depends on the operator mate, there are good and bad ones like with most things. Ask to see some of his previous work before you commit
You are better off calling out dentmaster or the dent man depending on where you are. If the paint isnt broken it is dent removal you want not Chipsaway
Old 14 July 2007, 08:50 AM
Rob-S
Scooby Regular

Beat me to it Rasher,

I have seen the work of our local chips away (Spalding) on my mother in laws car and I must say that they did a decent job but I must stress that after speaking to them I would not be confident letting them do my own car as they could not guarantee that the paint would be a really good match
If your dints have no paint damage then I would use a company such as Dent devils, they usually charge approx £70 per panel, possibly 17.5% less if you speak cash when getting a quote
Old 14 July 2007, 11:25 AM
ste300
Scooby Regular

Theres a discount if you mention JFK racing sent you..
Old 14 July 2007, 12:43 PM
goonerbear
Scooby Regular

Had them out to my Saxo VTS a few years ago and they did a cracking job.Had the Barnsley guy out to my Scoob a couple of months ago and he's done a spot on job, colour match is terrific.
Old 19 September 2007, 10:51 AM
kgt
Scooby Regular

I know this is an old thread I'm tagging on the end of, but I had the guy from Chipsaway in Durham out to my place in Bishop yesterday, and I was quite impressed. (Paul Galvin 07920 743733)

OK its never going to be a perfect repair, but I was more worried about the paint match. I neednt have been as its perfect. I watched him mix the paint in the back of his van with his computer, digi scales and a hunderd plus little bottles of differing colours. Very precise indeed and when he tried it on a v. small chip, I couldnt actually see where he'd been till I looked very closely.

All in all he spent about an hour there, did about 30+ small chips on bonnet, both wings and driver door. He polished and buffed all the areas twice to get a nice finish and charged £70.00 for the service. As I'm not confident enough to do this work myself, I thought that was reasonable. (Although he has left me with a small bottle of the remaining mix if I need to do a few in the future.)

Interestingly enough he'd done a black Impreza in Durham that morning and got a call to do a blue Impreza in Chilton while he was out at my place.

Is it just me, or is that more than a coincidence ???????
Old 19 September 2007, 03:31 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I had cause to use them last week (I used the Warrington Chap) £90 for rear bumper damage (corners and middle section following minor car park shunt)...
Great same day service, only took 40mins or so and you cant see the damage now... Perfect colour mix and I would be happy to use them again should I ever be unfortunate to have to...