Sponsored by:

BMW 635d

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2007, 11:27 PM
DaveWoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 635d

Had a flirt with 1 the other day. He pulled over into the slow lane then booted it. We had a 2/3 mile run got upto 140ish, neck and neck. Was intrigued, so had a look on google and they sell @ £54,000+ have a twin turbo and quote are: 'the most powerful diesel in the world', so I wonder what he would have thought if he knew I was in a £15,000 WRX with a £900 Prodrive Pack on it!

Last edited by DaveWoo; 10 July 2007 at 11:27 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 10 July 2007, 11:38 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

'Flirted' thats a new one, it's usually 'had a play' or 'some fun'.

Oh and yep the 535/635 are very quick once on the go.
Old 11 July 2007, 12:10 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

6 series is as heavy as a moon though doubt whether it would challenge most of us on here ... unless it was modded so a modded 6 series vs a standard WRX ... ooh, you'd be in trouble then

TX.
Old 11 July 2007, 12:28 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveWoo
Had a flirt with 1 the other day. He pulled over into the slow lane then booted it. We had a 2/3 mile run got upto 140ish, neck and neck. Was intrigued, so had a look on google and they sell @ £54,000+ have a twin turbo and quote are: 'the most powerful diesel in the world', so I wonder what he would have thought if he knew I was in a £15,000 WRX with a £900 Prodrive Pack on it!
Expensive oil burner......but must be treated with a degree of respect though........
Old 11 July 2007, 08:47 AM
Sammy Speakeasy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by DaveWoo
they sell @ £54,000+ ...so I wonder what he would have thought if he knew I was in a £15,000 WRX with a £900 Prodrive Pack on it!
He couldn't have cared less. He had the opportunity to spend 54k on a car and chose something classy instead of three or four subarus. For some, it's all about comfort and image, not speed and cost.
Old 11 July 2007, 08:53 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sammy Speakeasy
He couldn't have cared less. He had the opportunity to spend 54k on a car and chose something classy instead of three or four subarus. For some, it's all about comfort and image, not speed and cost.
And exactly how do you know this, if i was a cynic i might think you are trolling

People buy/drive cars for all sorts of reasons and not always to look down their noses!

May just be another petrol (or would that be heavy oil) head having a bit of fun. He migh even run a scoob as s second car, who knows what he thought, i doubt you do

Last edited by The Zohan; 11 July 2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11 July 2007, 08:59 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

My favorite statement about the 635d is its "limited" to 155 !!
Diesels dont mess about these days.

As for the torque figures im actually quite suprised with the said performance.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:23 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

nd exactly how do you know this, if i was a cynic i might think you are trolling.

People buy/drive cars for all sorts of reasons and not always to look down their noses!

May just be another petrol (or would that be heavy oil) head having a bit of fun. He migh even run a scoob as s second car, who knows what he thought, i doubt you do
"whistle to myself"
"just bait my hook"
cast in and away we go!

Hmm! But you can't say for sure, that that's what he was thinking can you? But what I can say for sure is that you, along with a lot more on here, still fail to grasp the intricacies of the English language. Please check your spellings prior to pressing the "submit reply" button. Scoobynet even supply a spell checker for you!! Also, I must have said it a thousand times, when using "I" in reference to one's self, it is always a capital letter. English standards on here are truly appalling. Now, to the original post. What a load of bollox! A car with 420ft/lbs of torque would muller a scoob with just a PPP. He wasn't trying mate. You don't have the fastest car in the world. It would take you all day to get to 140mph, he would breeze there without even breaking sweat. Even my paltry 300ft/lbs keeps most things on the road at bay, and certainly standard Impreza's. Why do you always assume "the other guy" is racing you? He was probably just tootling along minding his own business thinking, who is that chav who keeps looking over, do I know him. Wake up and smell the air mate..........and it doesn't smell of unleaded.
Dave
Old 11 July 2007, 11:07 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Does anyone actually care, what you think regarding their spelling?

Banny
Old 11 July 2007, 11:23 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A work collegue has got the 535td Twin turbo.. and **** me it goes!
Old 11 July 2007, 11:32 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by misty
"whistle to myself"
"just bait my hook"
cast in and away we go!

Hmm! But you can't say for sure, that that's what he was thinking can you? But what I can say for sure is that you, along with a lot more on here, still fail to grasp the intricacies of the English language. Please check your spellings prior to pressing the "submit reply" button. Scoobynet even supply a spell checker for you!! Also, I must have said it a thousand times, when using "I" in reference to one's self, it is always a capital letter. English standards on here are truly appalling. Now, to the original post. What a load of bollox! A car with 420ft/lbs of torque would muller a scoob with just a PPP. He wasn't trying mate. You don't have the fastest car in the world. It would take you all day to get to 140mph, he would breeze there without even breaking sweat. Even my paltry 300ft/lbs keeps most things on the road at bay, and certainly standard Impreza's. Why do you always assume "the other guy" is racing you? He was probably just tootling along minding his own business thinking, who is that chav who keeps looking over, do I know him. Wake up and smell the air mate..........and it doesn't smell of unleaded.
Dave

Dave or whoever you are.

My spelling and grammar do not hold me back when it comes to my job or life on general, so, am i bovvered, am i? (i used lowercase i's again, naughty me)

I have a winning personality and sunny disposition so that more than makes up for it

Why refer to the scoob driver as a Chav - trolling i guess

Best you just go whistle then

BYE!
Old 11 July 2007, 11:52 AM
mac12
Scooby Regular

bmw 635d, 286bhp,580lb torque,0-62 6.3 secs,155mph limited.
Old 11 July 2007, 12:00 PM
andyseston
Scooby Regular

but its a DIESEL they should be banned
Old 11 July 2007, 12:11 PM
Fishface
Scooby Regular

Hmm! But you can't say for sure, that that's what he was thinking can you? But what I can say for sure is that you, along with a lot more on here, still fail to grasp the intricacies of the English language. Please check your spellings prior to pressing the "submit reply" button. Scoobynet even supply a spell checker for you!! Also, I must have said it a thousand times, when using "I" in reference to one's self, it is always a capital letter. English standards on here are truly appalling. Now, to the original post. What a load of bollox! A car with 420ft/lbs of torque would muller a scoob with just a PPP. He wasn't trying mate. You don't have the fastest car in the world. It would take you all day to get to 140mph, he would breeze there without even breaking sweat. Even my paltry 300ft/lbs keeps most things on the road at bay, and certainly standard 1) Impreza's. Why do you always assume "the other guy" is racing you? He was probably just tootling along minding his own business thinking, who is that chav who keeps looking over, 2) do I know him. Wake up and smell the air mate..........and it doesn't smell of unleaded.
Dave
How do you know the poster doesn't struggle with English? It may be a source of embarrassment for him or her.

Either way, if I were being pedantic and provocative I would suggest this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. You hardly fly the flag for grammatical integrity.

Just two for starters (as underlined and made bold in the above quote).

1) You don't need an apostrophe for simply making something in a plural. Generally they are only needed for contraction and possession.

2) If this BMW driver were thinking to himself, "do I know him?", that'd surely be a question, no?

Anyway, that aside. BMW make some stunning diesel engines.
Old 11 July 2007, 12:14 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmm! But you can't say for sure, that that's what he was thinking can you? But what I can say for sure is that you, along with a lot more on here, still fail to grasp the intricacies of the English language. standards on here are truly appalling.

Now, to the original post. What a load of bollox!
Dave
Do you not mean "bollocks" ?

Also "standards" should be capitalised after a full stop....

Wouldn't make a very good English teacher, would you?
Old 11 July 2007, 12:17 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mac12
bmw 635d, 286bhp,580lb torque,0-62 6.3 secs,155mph limited.
It has 580nm of torque not a truly awesome 580lb/ft

Banny
Old 11 July 2007, 12:56 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

It's a shame people on hear just can't reply to posts keeping "on topic" instead of criticising people ability to be a novelist.

Personally I would have expected the BMW to waste the WRX once rolling.
Old 11 July 2007, 01:31 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I never fail to catch one or two do I? It's like baiting bears... Scooby owners rush in where angels fear to tread.
Dave
Old 11 July 2007, 01:38 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

is I all have to say to that Dave

Banny
Old 11 July 2007, 02:15 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

The wrx was prodrived though.
Old 11 July 2007, 02:41 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well . . .In that case maybe you should contribute on a more "classy"forum!
Old 11 July 2007, 03:41 PM
Sammy Speakeasy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
Well . . .In that case maybe you should contribute on a more "classy"forum!
I contribute on many classy forums. This is not one of them. I thank you.
Old 11 July 2007, 03:52 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Sling ye hook then

Banny
Old 11 July 2007, 04:59 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

. . .Excellent . . . As you were!
Old 11 July 2007, 06:54 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Please feel free to close the door as you leave this one. Doubt you'll be missed.

TX.

Old 11 July 2007, 07:13 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I never fail to catch one or two do I? It's like baiting bears... Scooby owners rush in where angels fear to tread.
Dave
Quoting Alexander Pope doesn't make you Einstein.
Old 11 July 2007, 07:14 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Pope also said 'Blessed are those who have no expectation for they shall never be disappointed'.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:32 PM
Fishface
Scooby Regular

Dave
AKA "I have been exposed as a hypocrite so I'll pretend I did it on purpose".

Old 11 July 2007, 11:01 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

When are diesel fans going to accept basic principles of physics and realise that flywheel torque is not what governs flat-out acceleration when rolling? It's torque at the wheels after gear ratios apply torque multipliers, so if you apply physics and do the maths it boils down to flywheel bhp. Sure, torquey diesels will usually win in a drag race if you limit both cars to 4,000 revs, or in 5th gear from 50-70 or similar. However, if you run both cars flat out, bhp is what matters (or if you want to get technical, the integral under the bhp graph as you change up through the gears). On that point, the WRX PPP is only~20bhp down in a lighter car (albeit less aerodynamic than a 6 series), so until you get well into 3 figure speeds will be very similar pace if you're prepared to thrash it through the gears.

Put it another way, a suitably chipped Golf TDi can have more torque than a current formula 1 car. Which do you think would win an all out drag race from say 30-130mph?
Old 13 July 2007, 12:51 PM
DaveWoo
Scooby Regular

Default FAO Misty

Now, to the original post. What a load of bollox! A car with 420ft/lbs of torque would muller a scoob with just a PPP. He wasn't trying mate. You don't have the fastest car in the world. It would take you all day to get to 140mph, he would breeze there without even breaking sweat. Even my paltry 300ft/lbs keeps most things on the road at bay, and certainly standard Impreza's. Why do you always assume "the other guy" is racing you? He was probably just tootling along minding his own business thinking, who is that chav who keeps looking over, do I know him. Wake up and smell the air mate..........and it doesn't smell of unleaded.
Dave[/quote]

Well bollox it may be, but when someone pulls from the outside lane going 85/90 and boots it upto 140+, I IMHO would say he's having a play, and I stayed neck to neck with him, till we both slowed down, and he gave me a nod as he pulled off on a slip road a bit further down the road. So up your **** Do you actually know what a PPP is? The whole reason for my post was to point out the disparity in price compared to performance.
Regards
DaveW

Quick Reply: BMW 635d