ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

No plate transfer ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2007, 01:13 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No plate transfer ?

I have just put the wifes car for sale on Autotrader and then realised I need to contact DVLA for the private plate transfer.
DVLA have informed me that the process to put the plate on retention will take 4-6 weeks. (and there is a keen buyer coming Wednesday. )

Is there any way around this ?
She is happy to sell the car with the plate on until the documentation comes through but DVLA say you shouldn't really do this.

Any ideas or suggestions.
Old 09 July 2007, 01:17 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

yes go to the local dvla office with the purchaser of the vehicle put the plate on retention in you name you mot will altered tax disc changed car given new reg the new owner has a new car you have your rego on retention,and every ones happy..
Old 09 July 2007, 01:40 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I went to my local DVLA office and put mine on retention on Friday - Said it would take 7 working days to be off my old car.
I then have to wait until I get a full V5 for my new car before I can go back and complete the transfer.
£105 to put on retention with no additional cost to complete the transfer. A complete PITA but needs must.
Old 10 July 2007, 12:10 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I've just been tom DVLA office and put the plate on retention. They said it would take 7 days before new V5 is issued to me but in the meantime I can sell the car with the plate on it and when new docs come, inform the new owner and complete the form as normal.
Old 10 July 2007, 02:04 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gaz-cole
yes go to the local dvla office with the purchaser of the vehicle put the plate on retention in you name you mot will altered tax disc changed car given new reg the new owner has a new car you have your rego on retention,and every ones happy..
As far as I know you can only get it done there and then if you are putting one ON to your plate, not if you are taking one off.
Old 10 July 2007, 02:39 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
As far as I know you can only get it done there and then if you are putting one ON to your plate, not if you are taking one off.
no mate i did a year ago at my local office the new owner signed the log book they took that off of him and it came back in his name.
Old 10 July 2007, 02:47 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

What plate did they assign back to your car then though? I was told it would be 7 days even if I went down to their local office myself anyway! Strange one that!
Old 10 July 2007, 03:02 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

just posted my retention off yesterday. will let you's know how long the process takes cos my car is up for sale now too.
hoping its not toolong cos its up on pistion heads and here.
Old 10 July 2007, 03:46 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

What plate did they assign back to your car then though? I was told it would be 7 days even if I went down to their local office myself anyway! Strange one that!
I was told the same... The days of "there and then" have gone too much fraud I believe...Probably too many private plates too
Old 10 July 2007, 03:51 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

What car are you going for next Monkey? Will take a hell of a good one to beat your 330bhp Impreza!

Abdabz, I did an on the road count a while back and saw 1 in 10 with a private plate on. Far more common than I thought!
Old 10 July 2007, 06:44 PM
mexico2
Scooby Newbie

They should send you a replacement tax disc within 10 days unless they call the car in for inspection.You will also get a new mot certificate , most log books come back later as DVLA Swansea print these ( although some local offices have started to do this ) , the certificate for your private number plate will arrive a couple of weeks after the tax disc as these are all printed at Swansea.

Link removed
If you wish to advertise commercially on Scoobynet please contact
webmaster@scoobynet.co.uk or
shaun@scoobynet.co.uk to discuss Banner Ads or Scoobyshop

Last edited by Dyney; 19 August 2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10 July 2007, 07:08 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

What car are you going for next Monkey? Will take a hell of a good one to beat your 330bhp Impreza!

Abdabz, I did an on the road count a while back and saw 1 in 10 with a private plate on. Far more common than I thought!
Flaps,

downgrading unfortunatley. Golf GTi I think. I'm moving to new zealand in the next twelve months and need to save money. So, my baby has to go