Before I make a fool of myself!

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2007, 04:23 PM
fisherpl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I make a fool of myself!

People,

Can someone just check my thinking here.

After a recent service on my MY04 WRX Wagon my local friendly Subaru dealer told me the front brake pads were 75% worn, would not last another 10,000miles and that both front tyres were down to 3mm.

I was in a rush when I picked the car up and made a mental note to check later.

I've just checked. I knew for a fact they were wrong on the tyre front. 5.5 to 6mm on each.

The front pads still have 5.6mm left in them. According to the manual I have, new ones are 9.2mm with a 1.2mm wear limit.

Two clumsy lies which, if I had taken at face value, would have cost me a set of pads and 2 tyres.

My questions are these:-

1) Do dealers now quote remaining tread over the wear bars on a tyre? (even if this is the case they are still wrong!)

2) Are the pad thicknesses I have quoted above correct.

If they were trying it on (and it looks like they were) this is disappointing. I have always found these particular dealers to be good guys who seem to know what they are talking about.

Any thoughts?
Old 08 July 2007, 04:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They were fishing for work .... my Dealer said that my Front Brakes Pads needed replacing at about 40,000miles - they went on to 66,500miles.

They cannot help themselves .... they have your car in, it's there for a service, they want to empty your wallet as much as they can .... it's an ideal chance for them.
Old 08 July 2007, 05:12 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Usually for tyres, brakes etc I will get things like that done elsewhere, so would do as you have done and walk with the car.

Have you got it written anywhere that they said that? If so, go see them in person, and have rather strong words with the manager. If its not in writing STILL go have words, thats just takin the ****.
Old 08 July 2007, 05:16 PM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were fishing for work .... my Dealer said that my Front Brakes Pads needed replacing at about 40,000miles - they went on to 66,500miles.

sure you did not make your own pads as you were saving for your cocklink
lol
Old 09 July 2007, 06:07 AM
cos500
Scooby Regular

Ive found subaru dealers to be the most helpful and genuine ive come accross, sorry to hear about this, maybe they got your car and another mixed up on paper, if not always check the parts they say need replacing before any work is carried out, if you have it on paper i would speak with the manager and ask for a discount on your next service, i got 15% off my last one by being cheeky.
Old 09 July 2007, 08:13 AM
VTR Bondy
Scooby Regular

My wife got this with our tyres on the car. She took it down to get a puncture repaired and the ****s threatened to phone the police if she didnt get em changed there and then. i went down later with at least 4mm of tread left, had a word and they played the idiot. No one on camp is allowed to use em now cos of this. serves em right.