Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane booster for a P1???

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2001, 09:25 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a 'trial' bottle of Millers (thanks Mike at SM) recently.

Put it in the P1 this afternoon, followed by 50 litres of Optimax - have run on Optimax since new. Have only driven 3-4 miles so far, but not sure I notice any particular difference?

Any views?/anyone use it religiously (apart from IG?)/should I not use it etc etc?? (road use only BTW)
Old 28 December 2001, 10:37 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I also run a P1 and have tried everything on the market inc. Millers and Pro-Boost....for the last 4 months I have been using N.F. Formula which give a minimum of an extra 6 ron !!!! It has also been proven to be both more effective power wise and at 5 tankfulls per bottle it works out at approximately £2.75 per tank
Of course I'm biased as I also stock this for re-sale, however, if I had a £1 for everytime someone asked me at a track day what engine mods I've done to my P1 (none apart from exhaust and panel filter)I'd be a very wealthy man
Mail me direct if you want further details etc.....
Chris
Old 29 December 2001, 12:38 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Question

Does that mean you will get a higher combustion temp inside the chamber? (combined with choccy pistons?!) Would have thought so if the octane rating is up to 6 higher = greater combustion. Suppose you've got to ask, do you really need it and how much difference will it make? If it was an import then it would be yes as its needed to help the engine, but the P1 is designed for UK fuel...

Any experts?

MB
Old 29 December 2001, 02:10 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

I would think an octane booster helps by delaying the onset of knock. This way, the ECU can then run more advance hence more power. But if the programming of the P1 ECU does not allow for advance enough for higher octane fuel (say 100RON), then the octane booster will be of no benefit. Who knows - Ask Prodrive?
Old 29 December 2001, 04:16 AM
9000RPM
Scooby Newbie

MartinM

I might be talking crap here but I was led to believe that P1's had octane boosters fitted as standard to boost the octane to 100RON.(broquets IIRC).

Also, it takes your ECU a while to adjust to the different octane. I don't know how long on a P1 but my mate was advised to allow 500miles on his FTO.

Like I said, I might be talking oot me erse! but at this time of morning I won't get much arguments!
Old 29 December 2001, 10:34 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

I used to run my car on Millers and it used to stop it detting and ran a lot smoother on tickover and stuff. Not sure if it actually went any faster tho.
Piece of mind.
Old 29 December 2001, 04:17 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps - but it doesn't seem to be a 'must do' to me at the moment. I'll keep an eye on what happens during the life of this tankful.

IIRC, there was one octane booster that made the inside of the engine (and the tailpipe?) go orange. Anyone know which make it was that did that???
Old 29 December 2001, 08:27 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

i run mine on millers but cant tell any difference from just using super, we dont have optimax down here yet
mark