Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling scooby with private reg?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2007, 02:05 PM
Jamie120182
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling scooby with private reg?

Help, I am currently trying to sell my scooby. However it has a private reg that I want to keep, the question is can I sell the car before the reg has been changed back.

DVLA says its not a good idea incase they want to inspect the car, I've never heard of this happening though

Answers on a postcard.......
Old 21 June 2007, 02:18 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

You only need to go to your local DVLA office with your V5 and tax disc and put it on retention with immediate effect and get new number at same time. Just do it right away then you have no issues.
Old 21 June 2007, 02:23 PM
Jamie120182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D1CCY
You only need to go to your local DVLA office with your V5 and tax disc and put it on retention with immediate effect and get new number at same time. Just do it right away then you have no issues.
I just spoke to the lady at the DVLA office, admittedly she wasnt that helpfull. But she said i would have to transfer back to the old reg before i could sell it and that would take 7 working days. I am sure i would have to send away the V5 as well, I wouldnt be able to sell the car without the V5 surely.

Cheers
Old 21 June 2007, 03:08 PM
Jamie120182
Scooby Regular

Anybody know any tricks or methods of getting round this?
Old 21 June 2007, 03:18 PM
little rick
Scooby Regular

The only thing you can do is if you get the buyer to agree to put the plate on retention - IIRC its about £125 but that covers the transfer fee to the next car

I've just put my private plate back on after deciding not to sell the car - went into the dvla office both to take the plate off and put it back on
Was all really straight forward - only problem is waiting for the V5 to come back - they take the V5 from you

To be honest I think your best bet is to do the transfer yourself and wait the week or so for the V5 to come back
Old 21 June 2007, 03:51 PM
Jamie120182
Scooby Regular

I was told the V5 could take up to 4 weeks to be returned, and the only thing i get back in 7 days is the authorisation for the change and the new tax disc, If so this means i will have to wait 4 weeks to sell the car

another idea is to sell the car and the reg then ask him to get the plate retained for me. Maybe i keep some paperwork or the service history until the the details are returned?

I cant really afford to wait 4 weeks to sell the car
Old 21 June 2007, 03:53 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

doh, yes they do send the V5 off to reissue with new number. Sorry forgot, when I put my number on in the first place I wasn't selling so this wasn't an issue. Best get it changed right away. You'd be doing very well if you sold it inside a week anyway!

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2007, 03:59 PM
Jamie120182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D1CCY
doh, yes they do send the V5 off to reissue with new number. Sorry forgot, when I put my number on in the first place I wasn't selling so this wasn't an issue. Best get it changed right away. You'd be doing very well if you sold it inside a week anyway!
The guy wants to pic it up tommorrow! I could do with selling it as i need the money, but i dont want to lose the private reg.
Old 21 June 2007, 04:20 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Legally you must wait for the transfer process to complete before you sell the car.. but in reality there is no real harm, I've sold a about 4 cars with no V5C because it was off at the DVLA.. as long as the buyer is happy there shouldnt be an issue.
Old 21 June 2007, 04:21 PM
little rick
Scooby Regular

I'd ring him soon as and tell him the situation

If I were buying in that situation as long as the seller was prepared to cough up the retainer and pay for plates to be made up to go back on the car (if you've got the old ones you could just provide them - mine went back on its original reg) I wouldn't be that fussed

If he takes the plate I think you need to transfer it to him anyway - although I can't confirm this as I handed all my paperwork over to the DVLA last week
Old 21 June 2007, 05:43 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I am sure if you sell the car with the private reg on it ,the new buyer is entitled to keep the plate so I would be wary of letting it go with the private reg on it .When I sold my last car I was in the same situation,but it only took a couple of weeks to get everything sorted legally .

I think I let him take the car after getting the money and kept the documents etc until it was sorted with the dvla and then put the sold date as later when everything was in order .
(again this isnt ideal but everything went OK .)
Regards
Old 21 June 2007, 06:04 PM
Jamie120182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
I am sure if you sell the car with the private reg on it ,the new buyer is entitled to keep the plate so I would be wary of letting it go with the private reg on it .When I sold my last car I was in the same situation,but it only took a couple of weeks to get everything sorted legally .

I think I let him take the car after getting the money and kept the documents etc until it was sorted with the dvla and then put the sold date as later when everything was in order .
(again this isnt ideal but everything went OK .)
Regards

Do you think the DVLA would accept the V5 without the new keeper supplement? or would the new owner not receive any paperwork until it was returned?
Old 21 June 2007, 07:08 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to sort it with the DVLA BEFORE you sell it .. once you've sold it the new owners has rights to the plate and you dont.
Old 21 June 2007, 07:21 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

As above.If the new owner drives the car away with the plate on it and registered to it then its his plate. He can tell you what he/she likes. Once they have the car there is know way of retrieving the plate from them
Old 21 June 2007, 08:06 PM
Jamie120182
Scooby Regular

Yes but thats only the case when i have sent the V5 away with there details on. if i send the V5 away to change the number plate and then send the new copy back with the new keeper details, all whilst the new owner has the new keeper supplement.
Old 22 June 2007, 12:51 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

the best thing to do is as said go to the nearest dvla office with all your details they will give you a new tax, disc stamp your current mot with yuor new reg, new registration purchase form, and you can go away with your new number, and/or either take the bloke with you to put his details on the v5 so it goes straight back to him or wait i have known my log book take between 7-28+ days to come back that in my opinon is the easiest way,
asin some cases you cant use your car whille waiting for the tax disc and other details to come back.