Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2007, 12:42 PM
feRRetboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss Of POwer Help Needed

Hello,

I have just recently bought my first Scooby But now i have my first problem

I had an oportunity to open it up for a bit (private road I hit 145mph for about 2minutes, after i had de accelerated and braked the engine management light came on. A mate plugged his gismo in and said the code i think was p1544 was exhaust temp to high. He reset it anyway. The problem is now the low end tourqe has gone u ntil it hits about 3500 rpm where it seems to pick up nicley although there is still a slight missfire, hesitation still.

I changed the plugs, hoping one had burned out but they were in good nick still.

The car has done only 27k mileage, it has been suggested that maybe i have buggered up the airflow meter which i have been quoted from subaru at 270+ vat ( i can get a second hand one part num 22680aa310 denso for £100+vat) but i am uneasy to buy this incase the fault lies else where.

The dump valve does not let off as much whoosh as oit used too, im guessing it because the engine is not creating as much pressure since most of the low end power has gone, one the engine is revving high and hard its ok.

ANy pointers would be gratefully recieved

Cheers

feRRetboy Steve
Old 19 June 2007, 12:45 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

what year and model is it?
Old 19 June 2007, 12:55 PM
daniel p smith
Scooby Regular

i had this problem last week and it was the maf sensor i got quoted 250 plus vat from subaru which i thought was abit steep but ended up getting one from david hendry cars brand new in the box for 111 pounds all in delivered got it yesterday, had it fitted straight away, what can i say what a difference pulls like a dream from low revs right the way up like it used to, give them a ring(01666824369) they were helpful and it was delivered when they said. mine is a myo1 wrx the part number was 22680aa310 denso unit so yours is the same
Old 19 June 2007, 01:08 PM
feRRetboy
Scooby Regular

Default extra information

Sorry, the car is a 53 plate wrx, fitted prodrive ppp , thanks for the information so far, thats a great price considering a second hand one is the same price! Just need to be sure thats the problem before i commit to buying, i wouldnt want to change one of those every 27 k thoe!
Old 19 June 2007, 01:15 PM
daniel p smith
Scooby Regular

if its doing the same mine was it is the maf it drove fine but at low revs it didn't pull unless you revved alot more than normal but it was boosting and pulling normal up the rev range and i got my local garage to plug the computer in it just to check and it bought the fault up aswell so got one ordered and it is now sorted
Old 19 June 2007, 01:20 PM
feRRetboy
Scooby Regular

A mate just rang and said " if you pull the MAF out while the engine is running and the engine stops, chnaces are the MAF is ok" well it did, so now im confused lol. he says more likely i may have burned out the wastegate. I though doing 14o ish for a few minutes was no big deal, agter all surely the engines can cope with that?
Old 19 June 2007, 01:31 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by feRRetboy
A mate just rang and said " if you pull the MAF out while the engine is running and the engine stops, chnaces are the MAF is ok" well it did, so now im confused lol. he says more likely i may have burned out the wastegate. I though doing 14o ish for a few minutes was no big deal, agter all surely the engines can cope with that?
Off boost problems are usually more likely to be associated with the Lambda sensor IIRC. Have someone plug a select monitor into the car and it'll soon tell you if there are any duff sensors.

Drive off boost untill you get it sorted, if there is a fueling problem and you rag it, it's very likely you'll damage the engine.

Sustained 140nph is not a good idea on the std top mount "interwarmer" The aerodynamics of the bonnet are such that at 3 figure speeds, not much air is finding its way onto the surface of the intercooler, charge temps rise and eventually, bang!! You'll notice that the 06 cars have a different bonnet and scoop to resolve this.

Which private road was it??

Ns04

Trending Topics

Old 19 June 2007, 01:38 PM
feRRetboy
Scooby Regular

It was on an airfield My wrx on the outside/inside is an STI visually i dont think you could tell any difference, im guessing the wrx and Sti bonnet/scoop config is the same?

Cheers
Old 19 June 2007, 02:14 PM
New_scooby_04

It was on an airfield My wrx on the outside/inside is an STI visually i dont think you could tell any difference, im guessing the wrx and Sti bonnet/scoop config is the same?

Cheers
STis have bigger scoops and intercoolers. Same problem with sustained high speed cruising exists though, hence the redesign.

Ns04
Old 19 June 2007, 02:35 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That must be some airfield You'd cover 4.83 miles at that speed in 2 minutes
Old 19 June 2007, 03:23 PM
feRRetboy
Scooby Regular

well you dont expect me to tell you what private Road it was really do you! lol , thanks for all the input, i guess i will find out on friday if it is the meter or not..i just tried a squirt of the carb cleaner too, but made not difference at all, for a fiver it was worth a try
Old 19 June 2007, 04:13 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well you dont expect me to tell you what private Road it was really do you! lol
We all might like a go too

I tried cleaning my MAF when it failed but it did nothing and I had to buy another

Have you tried an ecu reset and seen if there are any fault codes stored?
Old 19 June 2007, 04:18 PM
daniel p smith
Scooby Regular

this is my first subaru aswell but from what i have being reading i wouldn't leave it to long in getting it sorted as the maf has been linked to quite a few engine failures, thats why i got mine done straight away it is alot cheaper than a rebuild, as others have said get it plugged in and it will bring up any faults
Old 19 June 2007, 04:28 PM
feRRetboy
Scooby Regular

This is my problem with fault codes. Straight after the spped run the dam engine light came on and put me in limp mode. Code came up as p1544 which having googled it turns out to be "Exhaust Temp too high" . Next move was to clear the code. Problem being it didnt clear my problems, lack of low end power,bit lumpyt on tickover. Chnaged spark plugs as matter of course, no difference. Took plug of MAF unit when engine was ticking over, engine cut out and gave me a nice new engine light which has now been cleared. No fault code has indicated MAF problem appart from the last one which obviously was going to happen after a dissconnect.

I am going to change the airflow sensor anyways, if that dosent sort me out i can only think the problem lies in turbo ( possible wastegate meltdown ) ?

Watch this space... i may be an unhappy man come friday afternoon
Old 19 June 2007, 04:38 PM
daniel p smith
Scooby Regular

a lumpy tickover usually points to maf i think when you change it it will sort it out as i said before this happened to me last week hope it works out for you, it does your head in when you know something is wrong with your car but you don't know what it is
Old 19 June 2007, 04:49 PM
feRRetboy
Scooby Regular

yeh not only does it do your head in, im getting a "told you so" from the missus too She said stick to your Volvo V50, she wont even look at it never mind get in it the other day we had a trip to lincoln planned, i wouldnt give in to going in her car, so we both made the trip on our own, met in a car park and had a great day out, then travelled back in our own cars, i wonder who made it back first lol the stubborn
Old 19 June 2007, 04:57 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normally EGT problems are ignored by the ECU as the STi does not even have the sensor present. EGT problems in the WRX flag up a CEL but the ECU does not go into limp mode.

I'd try and borrow a known working MAF for a couple of minutes if possible to see if it helps !!

Shaun