Sponsored by:

Go to France.......

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2007, 11:29 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Go to France.......

.....if you want your scooby stared at. I like to think mine looks quite smart though it is by no means the most larey and spectacular out there. It does pop and bang like a bastid thought! We stayed for a week just south of Paris. I only saw one other impreza during my stay and that was a French owned bug eyed wagon with a zorst and morettis, so it had been faffed about with. No other imprezas spotted on the the autoroutes or back roads at all. The car turned heads everywhere we went. I picked my wife and kids up from a train station and was greeted like a visiting rock star by the local youths. So if you are vain about your car get over to French france. Plus petrol is a little bit cheaper and you can get 98 ron absolutely everywhere.
Old 17 June 2007, 11:46 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just came back from South Brittany and i found the same. Everywhere you go people are turning to look and waving from the back of cars. One guy stopped me in a petrol station and asked if he could take a picture while i was filling up

I even got a thumbs up from a group of bikers at the side of the road

It is pretty cool though isnt it

Your car looks pretty awesome by the way!

Last edited by evil.soup; 17 June 2007 at 11:49 PM. Reason: update
Old 18 June 2007, 12:38 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hawkeye does look very good in aqua blue. If there aren't many bugs or blobs then the Hawkeyes must be a very rare site indeed! A more common site was Frenchies in supermarket carparks desperately trying to get their old Renaults and Pugs to start up.
Old 18 June 2007, 09:00 AM
rkbycrof
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, I'm seconded with work to Lille and been living here for several months now. Done lots of travelling around northern france and belgium and seen none, although I have noticed some Blue WRX police cars now and again.

What amazed me when I got here is how patriotic the french are about their cars, maybe if we british had been the same then our car industry wouldn't be like it is now. But then again, who can blame us when there are cars like the Impreza out there!
Old 18 June 2007, 01:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Been taking my classic since '99. If you think people stare NOW you should have seen the effect a few years back. Sat in a cafe drinking my coffee, and there's a crowd of blokes in their forties or so around it. When I come out they are all full of questions.

The number of times I've had "Belle Voiture" from youths too. I know what boy racers feel like now when surrounded by a gang of 15 year old girls

Alcazar
Old 18 June 2007, 01:58 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Been taking my classic since '99. If you think people stare NOW you should have seen the effect a few years back. Sat in a cafe drinking my coffee, and there's a crowd of blokes in their forties or so around it. When I come out they are all full of questions.

The number of times I've had "Belle Voiture" from youths too. I know what boy racers feel like now when surrounded by a gang of 15 year old girls

Alcazar

only thing though, living in a chav place like scunny, when "youths" mooch past, you expect something to be missing off the car next time you see it...
Old 18 June 2007, 02:25 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by rkbycrof
Agreed, I'm seconded with work to Lille and been living here for several months now. Done lots of travelling around northern france and belgium and seen none, although I have noticed some Blue WRX police cars now and again.

What amazed me when I got here is how patriotic the french are about their cars, maybe if we british had been the same then our car industry wouldn't be like it is now. But then again, who can blame us when there are cars like the Impreza out there!
Same with the Germans, everybody here has a feckin German car and the most popular colour is silver, they are absolutely everywhere, not sure it is a patriotic thing with the Germans more a keeping up and outdoing the Jones's type mentality. German cars are still classed as status symbols here and you need to have a better one parked on your drive than your neighbour, Germans will spend a fortune on a crappy German car rather than spend less and get a much better deal on a Ford or Jap car.
Old 18 June 2007, 03:20 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

You guys should all get together and try drag race some 2CV's!!!

. .Let us know how it goes!!
Old 18 June 2007, 03:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
only thing though, living in a chav place like scunny, when "youths" mooch past, you expect something to be missing off the car next time you see it...
, Absolutely. This place doesn't get any better does it? And what with the influx of "Borats", we're in a great position now.

Alcazar
Old 19 June 2007, 05:01 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Its true about the French being patriotic about their cars. Maybe thats why they are built so badly, because they know the frogs will buy them regardless.

Someone should organise a day trip across the channel and a run through France, one night in an Ibis or something then back home the next day after a few drinks!