new here!!! great place, many questions

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2007, 06:25 AM
scandyflick
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here!!! great place, many questions

hi to everyone,

scoob owner from the philippines here. drove a legacy wagon for a while and just got my hands on my first wrx, a 2003 model GDA. it's taken a week to sort out the follies of the previous owner and so far i'm a happy camper.

i've done a few mods, most out of neccesity, some out of sheer 'just gotta do that'. what have your experiences been with these mods. let me know.

1) swapped out the original IHI turbo with one from a 2.5 GDB Sti. No check engine light. turbo comes on later but the engine surge is quite satisfactory. No engine management as of yet. thinking of a UniChip... any comments on these choices?

2) running an HKS Silent Power-type cat back exhaust. thinking of either a straight forward downpipe without a cat or a HKS catalyzer (the down pipe with the cat replacement). comments again would be appreciated. also note that there are lax emission standards in my country.

3) thinking of suspension and brakes. inclined to go with a bilstein pss9 kit but a tein kit like the a monoflex is quite tempting. surplus brembo kits are readily available from the japanese domestic market but the pad costs are prohibitive. are the endless CC pads on the stock subaru calipers any good? what about the project Mu pads?

4) should i even think of a front mount intercooler? we've got great factory overruns from taiwan here. have no intention of maxing out my boost anyways.

5) how are your experiences with the zero sports intake system? the one with the blitz looking cone and the stainless pipe. some guys with the gdb's here in the phils are experiencing check engine problems without using engine management.

comments are more than welcome.

i'm so happy with my impreza. pics to follow. wish all of you and yours the best.

scandy
Old 17 June 2007, 02:51 PM
scandyflick
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spoke too soon... help

hahahaha

the CEL went on just after the HKS catback went on... maybe four hours after the job finished. 16km of driving in really horrendous traffic and taadaaaaaaa.... the annoying orange bugger is on.

can't be the rear o2 sensor... as a new one was installed the day before the exhaust upgrade... maybe something to do with the exhaust CO2 levels... hmmmm... strange though as i've decided to stick with the stock downpipe and cat for the meantime.

help?

should the unichip go on already? kinda hesitant, as that will mean i might as well finish the intake and exhaust mods. dyno tuning will immediately have to follow, i guess.

hope to hear from you guys. thanks in advance