Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why has ScoobyNet slowed down

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2000, 06:40 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why has ScoobyNet slowed down recently...is it the banners or is it the new look page with the links at the top of the page.

What can I do to speed things up....short of getting ASDL?
Old 28 November 2000, 06:58 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi

You *should* find that it has speeded up again now.

The problem is, scoobynet is getting more and more and more popular each week / month, so the load on the server / bandwidth gets greater and greater.

We made a few changes towards the end of last week which has made a notable improvement in speed. It certainly seems to be running ok.

The additional banners at the bottom of most pages do not cause ANY speed issues as the graphics are being supplied elsewhere and they are the last thing to load.

How is everyone else finding it, over the today and yesterday?

We are planning to upgrade the server, although this was not originally planned until mid next year.

It is great that Scoobynet is increasing in popularity constantly, and it is part of my job to make sure we upgrade as necessary. This all costs money, but the additional revenue from the type of advertising we can start to attract *should* cover it.

Best regards (and thank you for mentioning it - let me know if the speed does not improve over the next few days)

Simon
Old 28 November 2000, 09:45 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Has been very slow lately and causes my isp to time out but is better tonight. Had a lot of problems over the weekend.

Tim
Old 28 November 2000, 09:56 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

Died on me last night and tonight - just gets slower and slower then hangs completely (which is why I have not been Muppetising lately....)
Old 28 November 2000, 10:22 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Smile

It may be time to consider using a BBS with a true database engine. Having sifted through some of the info on the net there is certainly a "put down" of the way the files are stored. There is also a similar "put down" of windows based servers running UBB.

At the end of the day perl can only go so far, or perhaps a switch to an OS that has more in common with its grass roots ?
Old 28 November 2000, 10:41 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hardware's cheap, software's expensive.

Always cheaper to add Mhz (or it will be in 3 months time)

I've used this argument to justify not doing any re-work so many times now

Just my view of course.

Still I see Lee's point, perl is interpreted (v slow) storing data in flat files is slow (very ^3) and doesn't give you any options to split the loading (separate Database / File and Web servers / clusters)

The O/S (IMO) makes little or no difference, you should pick the one which you have experience administering (but bear in mind Linux apps have a 4GB memory limit each at the moment - bit of a ***** up at work when we found that out this week !)

Gary
Old 28 November 2000, 11:41 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi All

I think Lee is right in some ways...

There are two options, upgrade hardware which is the current plan...

but I have been thinking about writing a fully database enabled version of the BBS for some time.

I have most of it done already (
Old 29 November 2000, 12:23 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Angry

Guys
Looks like SDB is correct with the virus - see my post in Non Scooby Related - bugger!
Old 29 November 2000, 12:59 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Smile

for what its worth I've been building up a Solaris8 server recently. I have BIND, Qpopper, SSH, sendmail, apache all compiled up and working perfectly, basically all that you need to run an internet server.

Why Solaris ? Well Solaris is designed from the outset for multi CPU systems whereas Linux has multi cpu support if you rebuild the kernel. Its also an industry standard and bulletproof, and now free.

Ideally I'd run Solaris on Sparc hardware, but given the expense... and anyway, a couple of good PIII's isnt exactly going to be a slouch.
Old 29 November 2000, 08:04 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi Simon
I haven't read my home Email this morning so you may have responded to mine of last night and i haven't seen it yet....

Tried accessing Scoobynet from home this morning at 5:25 am, quick logging in as you would expect (which is why I tried it) but as soon as I tried to post a reply to this thread Norton CrashGuard caught a crash (and did it several times even when I rebooted). So, something wrong somewhere. I don't think it is my home PC (typing this at the office) as nothing changed on it and it is running pretty normal stuff (Freeserve, Win 98, PIII 550mhz, 384mb RAM, so it must be the new version of Scoobynet - not complaining, just frustrated!!

Any offers??

Is this a deliberate conspiracy to stop me getting to 1000 posts in (almost) record time
Old 29 November 2000, 09:15 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Dave

I've been trying to get hold of you....

I think you have a virus, as I keep getting emails from you with all sorts of attachments.

This could explain the problems you are having.

Check your email, I replied yesterday.

Regards

Simon
Old 29 November 2000, 09:27 AM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

When I was looking to setup a UBB for another site, I spent some time over on the Infopop site.

The general consensus seembed to be a heavily loaded UBB based BBS would run better on Unix or Linux than on NT (not sure about Win 2000 though which Netcraft shows Scoobynet is running on).

Infopop have addressed the issues of UBB using a flat file DB with their OpenTopic product. OT is hosted by Infopop (at according $$$ rates!) but is built around an Oracle backend. I frequent another site that used to use the UBB software but had really hit the capacity limits and now use OpenForum (http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=cfrm - have a look at the quantity of postings!).

I think we have to bear with Simon whilst he does his best.

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 29 November 2000, 06:35 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jesus wept Dave i though i had quite a bit of memory for a home pc but 384meg Cooooool

Si
Old 29 November 2000, 07:18 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

heh heh I've just ordered a new machine for general use..768MB RAM. My servers have the "big gig" in them (quick doesnt begin to describe em!) You can never have too much RAM these days, what you don't use gets used as a cache so effectively you can work totally from memory.
Old 29 November 2000, 08:09 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Like Dave Ts, I too run some hefty memory. I have a P3 at 550mhz and with 512Mb Ram but I use NT4 Workstation with service pack 6a.

I use ISDN and have not had any problems whatsoever with this board. access always lightening quick (almost instantaneous).

Only time I have had a problem is when scoobynet has been due to servicing etc.

Logging on tonite and open this thread tokk all off 45 secs. Thats seriously quick
Old 29 November 2000, 09:43 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

It seems to be intermittent slowness. I am currently trying to download
Old 29 November 2000, 09:59 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Lee,

Re: Solaris... I am currently running my little webserver with Solaris 8 on a Dual Pentium Pro box but Solaris is known for being s l o w! i.e. Slowaris...

I would probably run Free/OpenBSD if you want something quick and really secure.

Running sendmail is asking for trouble too. I wouldn't say Solaris is bullet-proof either, especially X86 version. Trusted Solaris isn't bad but there is a better one, the name escapes me for the moment tho

Free/OpenBSD have good SMP support by default btw...

We've got a nice Sun Enterprise 420R at work, 4x450Mhz CPUs, 4Gb Ram and the quick Intel boxes are still quicker in cpu terms, the Sun kit kicks it's *** IO wise tho.

If you want general bang-per-buck I would probably opt for a Compaq Dual Xeon system. Thinking about it Compaq do a really nice 1U high Pentium III thing with SCSI etc, they aren't bad.

Simon... what does ScoobyNet use as a backend? I can really recommend MySQL, we've got a mission critical system with hundreds of concurrent users via a web frontend and it goes like a rocket, even on humble hardware (Sun Enterprise 250, 2x450Mhz CPU, 1Gb ram).

My two pence worth

Old 29 November 2000, 10:07 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

looks like the worm has turned and we are back in business.....nailed the virus earlier (I hope)

1000 posts here I come
Old 30 November 2000, 08:57 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Allo Matt.. I havent got round to benchmarking freeBSD yet but its on my list Solaris gains its slow rep when compared to other unix's on a single CPU platform. Its been designed from the outset for multiple CPU's, although admittedly it was designed for superior sparc architecture but.......

You have to consider the budget first which tends to control the hardware. For 3K plus VAT I can build a dual 866-PIII, 1GB RAM, 2 SCA 18Gb SCSI (ouch - not cheap) all in a 1U case with dual network cards.
Old 30 November 2000, 10:30 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

hiya,

Agree 100% with your comments about Sun/Sparc support, second hand market is somewhat interesting

I personally think the unix/php/mysql route is a lot easier than the windoze route, unix stuff just works

A decent free BBS thing can be found at :
Old 30 November 2000, 09:28 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Smile

Si
Looking at changing the PC in the new year - probably P4 1500mhz with at least 256mb RAMBUS RDRAM - should future proof it for six months or so!!
Old 01 December 2000, 09:44 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Mark
I was running NT4 at home - which unusual - brilliant stable platform - but when I changed PC's it was not compatible with DVD drive so had to go to W98 - what a heap of poop. Am going to upgrade PC in new year (P4 1500mhz) but will wait until W2000 is out with the first raft of bug fixes!!

Billyboy Gates finally invents an OS that should work properly - only taken him 30 years
Old 01 December 2000, 10:24 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Mr Gates OS certainly does not work properly! You would be much better off with a nice install of FreeBSD or SuSE linux. Even BBC Basic is better than windoze.
Old 01 December 2000, 11:33 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

mattski,

I came across an old Sparcstation 2 running good old SunOs (not even Solaris) a while back that had been up for 2 and 1/2 years. It was quite happy.

I wonder what the record is for an NT server...

I have to reboot my NT4 workstation at work every few days to stop it grinding to a halt.

Cheers

Simon
Old 02 December 2000, 01:00 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

heh, good ol sun kit..

Record for NT, couple of days me thinks.

We have got an old redhat 4 box that has been up three years