Sponsored by:

New WRX, is it going wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2001, 11:27 PM
Charlie Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Picked up my new WRX on Saturday. When I got home from the dealer I took a good listen and look at my new pride and joy and to my surprise the engine sounded quite tappy (not sure if this is a real word?), something I would of thought from a 100,000 miler. But in the end I just put this down to the thin running in oil.

Then when driving I experienced in 3rd and 4th at around 2,000 rpm a kind of rattling or pinking noise, this I was guessing was due the engine not being able to pull from these revs. But in 3rd I can accelerate from 1500rpm with no problems until 2000rpm when the noise occurs for 2 seconds or so. Since I have tried to avoid 2000rpm in these gears, which is quite difficult, when I can only cruise around with 1500rpm to play with.

The next morning I go to start the WRX or at least tried, it started eventually on the 3rd go and then later in the day it took 2 go’s to get it started. Hummm this is when I start to think all is not well.

Monday, All seems to be running ok now, though the engine still sounds tappy. But then it’s time to go for a beer or at least I thought it was. The WRX starts fine but there glowing away is the check engine light, damm no beer!!

And there we have it, the WRX is sitting in the garage and I’m sitting at home sulking, well not quite, its Christmas!

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. I am most concerned about the tapping from the engine, can anyone say if this is normal for the running in period.

Come Thursday I will be down the dealer throwing my toys out of the pram, but I would be grateful if I new that these things were normal or not, excepting the check engine light of course.
Old 26 December 2001, 08:39 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Charlie

The pinking noise you describe at 2000 odd rpm is a common noise on the new WRX. Dont worry its not your car detting.

The car turning over and not starting again is fairly common. My old WRX did it on more than one occasion. One of my old shape cars didnt start at all on one occasion. The problem can also be exagerated if you have your foot on the throttle and try to start it.

Cant help on the other noise without hearing it.

Jonathan
Old 26 December 2001, 10:29 AM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

I notice the starting thing occasionally.
I've now covered 3000 miles in my WRX wagon, and about once a week there will be a time where it takes 2-3 attempts to start.

No pinking noise (I do run only on SUL though, may be worth a shot?) at all though... BUT.....

....a HORRIBLE smell of burning rubber / fishy electrical type smell any time I do a hill start in reverse. I have to do this every time I visit my 'rents once a week.
And I do know how to drive, I'm not BBQing the clutch unnecessarily!!
Any thoughts??
Old 26 December 2001, 11:19 PM
funky_monk_flying
Scooby Regular

had my my01 3 months now no such prob's or noises my advice is straight back to the dealer.
Old 27 December 2001, 12:53 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

DONT start the car with any throttle at all, keep you feet away from the loud pedal until the engine is ticking over !!!. You will have real problem starting it if you do. Dont know about the pinking noise, take it in and get them to check it.

cheers

chrisp
Old 27 December 2001, 04:29 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

eye majic I've got that smell on my UK300. We've got a really steep slope from the garage in our offices. Every time I leave and have to drive up that slope I get that exact same smell. I've also got a steep drive but don't have to negotiate any walls so can drive up that quite fast and I don't get the smell then. I'm hoping that it's because it's new.
Old 27 December 2001, 04:44 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

pete,

just been talking to my old dear, who got a Forester (non-turbo) 8 months ago.

Says she had the same thing for about the first 4-5000 miles, then it just went away. Fingers crossed it is just a "new" thing.
Old 27 December 2001, 05:40 PM
Charlie Boy
Scooby Regular

Took the car back to the dealer today. They diagnosed the problem as out of sink Tumble sensors in the inlet manifold. I had the car back within the hour and now it seems much better, so touch wood for the rest of my WRX ownership.

Had another Impreza owner wave at me today, which was cool, are we all supposed to do this? I like it!

Later and happy driving.

Charlie
Old 30 December 2001, 05:39 PM
Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tumble sensor? Sure you haven't been putting damp clothes in it to dry them off?

Glad it seems fixed now anyway.

As for the bad smell, yep, it's the clutch complaining. I get it on my MY00 but only in reverse and only on hills. I put it down to the 4wd system not liking going backwards particularly, but it really is not pleasant at all Doesn't seem to affect the operation of it - I just minimise the amount of backwards starts I have to do.

A thought on the starting thing... I found this happened occasionally, but only after lots of wind and rain, so I think water was getting in somewhere. Sure enough, liberal spraying of WD40 in the spark plug areas worked a treat. I got the dealer to reseat all of the HT leads at the next service and (touch wood) it hasn't happened once since.

Cheers
Richard

[Edited by Bitten Hero - 12/30/2001 5:41:36 PM]
Old 30 December 2001, 05:53 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

I have had my car a couple of months and have experienced it failing to start once.

I turned it over and just a it caught I released the starter and the engine died. It took me 5 minutes to start it again. I put it down to flooding the engine.
Old 30 December 2001, 06:54 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

I have done coming up to 15K in my MY01. No probs with it what so ever.

Bit pizzed off with the delicate paint... But no problems with the actual car.

Old 31 December 2001, 12:05 AM
RobWhite
Scooby Regular

Had MY01 for 3 months, 7k and not a problem in sight, take it to the dealer.

Rob
Old 31 December 2001, 10:29 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Wink

We get that horrible burning clutch smell too in our MY01 WRX but only when Chris is trying to reverse into a (huge) parking space on a hill or attempting some other reversing manoeuvre on a slope of some kind - I put that down to his inability to a)park and b)reverse, actually that's not quite true, he can park but only if he goes in forwards otherwise he has to get out and let me do it for him

Yes, it's true

Sal (mental note to self: keep Chris away from pc for next fortnight )
Old 31 December 2001, 10:40 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

LOL@Sal. You are so busted when Chris gets back from work

Old 31 December 2001, 10:58 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Neil - he is working from home today, he's on the laptop upstairs in the kitchen
Old 31 December 2001, 11:13 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

The kitchen's upstairs??? I think i've got his work email address here somewhere, how much not to grass you up??

Back on topic, is the burning smell's from MYO1 a normal phenomenon?
Old 31 December 2001, 11:17 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Wink

Town house Neil and too late, he's finished work now and is off to B&Q to do blokes stuff

I'm hoping the smelly clutch thing is just 'cos it's new how many others experience this?