Sponsored by:

Network Q Survey.

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2000, 06:29 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I had for some time before the event been in regular contact with the promoters of the rally regarding how it was going to be run, traffic systems, charging to go into forests, Superspecial, rally show etc.

These people are now interested as to what people in general thought of the event. Could you therefore let me know of any points, good or bad that you think may improve next years event and I will pass them on to the appropriate people.
Thanks
Chip.
Old 28 November 2000, 09:48 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Well then...please bring back Cornbury and Blenheim as there was a good turn out last year. I missed going this year as the pictures of the Q's last year in Wales put me off going!
Old 28 November 2000, 10:07 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Generally well organised, the bar code readers didnt work very often, didnt come across too much traffic, but then we went early ! Could do with a little less wind and rain next time ROFL the Stupid special, complete **** up first night, wouldnt let anybody in for ages, access roads and car park need some work for next time ? and the super special could have done with being finished before the event started !

Generally enjoyable though
Old 29 November 2000, 07:52 AM
Snake
Scooby Regular

Agree with Ian Cook, the Super special was far from super or special, it should have been called the mediocre muddy stage.

It has been said on many threads about the marshals, but I'll say it again, they were useless on some stages and brilliant on others.

The food was overpriced and not very good.
Distances to stages from carparks were not given.

And last but not least......Colin McRae didn't win!

I'll get my coat.

Snake.

Old 29 November 2000, 08:09 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The map book was one of the worst supplied by the organizers ever as I have bought them every year, there should have been a que into the car park or even a special car park for those of us who bought the event passes up front, better sign posts into the city and the super special should be sorted out, tell the organizers to go to Silverstone to see how they light there stage so you can see what is going on at least. Oh yes don't forget to rename the rally, the rally of Wales or the FRAM filters. Bring back Dolby, Keilder, Clocaenog and Hamsterly forests.

Set in my ways ( Lombard RAC ) Darren.
Old 29 November 2000, 08:16 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

In General I thought the event was good.

We arrived early at the stages, got good parking spots and the competetion was excellent.

The bar code readers seemed not to work too well ( as one chap said , I'll swipe, you make the pinging sound and I'll let you in - Then the machine worked ).

The parking was Ok if you got there early !

The toilets and catering seemed to be out in force, again could do with more.

I know why the Ambulances are always parked at the top of huge hills.

The marshalls on the whole were good and they have been taking a bit of stick in other threads.

However the main point is that when the Marshalls told people where they could or could not stand they were treated usually to a gesticulation and told where to go.

I was on a couple of stages where people were standing in the most down right stupidest places. I.e. on the outside of bends and on the inside of bends, barely feet away from the cars.

In the guides you are advised where and where not to stand - can these people not read ? or even understand simple pictures.

Some got there comeuppance as they jumped to avoid a car approaching them and disappeared down a quite steep incline. Just a pity they did not break anything.

In Catalunya and Corsica the Police marshall the stages and tell the crowd where to stand and they don't get the abuse reserved for the British Marshalls.

After all the only thing that could spoil my day is if the stage is cancelled due to some idiots standing in the wrong place.

Old 29 November 2000, 08:38 AM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The rally itself was generally as enjoyable as usual.BUT

1) Marshalling was pants.

Resolfen stage, they were letting cars down the tracks when there was nowhere to go.I and numerous other had to reverse back down a very muddy, heavily cambered road to a point where I could turn the car around.
Luckily I had AWD, which helped.Others were not so lucky.
2) Exiting the Super? Special on Saturday, there was total gridlock.It seemed that the traffic control in to it was prety much OK, but no-one seemed to interested in getting the public out with the minimum of fuss and delay.

3)Again on the superspecial, as has been said, the stage was nowhere near complete as far as viewing quality was concerned.More raised banking need there.

4)I though the signposting to the stages could have been improved upon.I found to a point the signage was good and then seemed to vanish.We were following the route to Brechfa, and ended up in Trwascoed, with no reference to the car park we were entering!!

5)What happened to the car park references at Margam?They bore no relation at all to what was printed in the guides.

6)At no point in the guides did I see a reference to a charge for the service @ Pembrey.Did I miss that one? I don't mind paying, but I'd like to be prepared.

7)I think the ticketing idea is a good one, but I think the charges need to be looked at as far as value for money is concerned.I didn't feel I got my money's worth this year.Not just because it worked out more expensive, but because the overall organisation didn't justify the cost.

AND FINALLY.If the rally is refered to as the NETWORK Q RALLY GB, then why does it not venture out of Wales, and South Wales at that?Great Britain's stages consist of some of the best rally stages that have ever been used in World Championship rallying.South Wales' stages are good, but not that good in comparison to the likes of Dyfi/Hamsterly/Kershope, etc
We all know the organisers, etc are trying to take the event to the masses, but the ardent rally fans can see that all that is happening is that they are ruining what used to be an event the UK motorsport contingent could be proud of.Not any more.

Rant over.Well, you did ask!!

Steve
Old 29 November 2000, 01:25 PM
dewi
Scooby Regular

Well, I thought they'd really got the traffic sorted this year. We went to Trawscoed and Margam and didn't have any problems at all with traffic or getting in or out of the car parks (though some of those 2wd cars seemed to be having problems with the mud at Margam).

The competitors must have been particularly pleased that the spectators' and competitors' routes in and out of the stages were kept well apart this year.
Old 29 November 2000, 05:44 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Too expensive to get into the woods.

Otherwise good, (marshalled in Swansea service, got a set of McRae's brakepads, length of exhaust, mirror, etc as keepsakes!)

Owain.
Old 29 November 2000, 09:05 PM
silver
Scooby Regular

First time I attended the rally so did not know what to expect or compare to others.
I thought it was excellent and enjoyed the stages over the 4 days I went.
I went to one per day as did not want to chase all over wales in traffic.
I did get to the Hafren stage a tad to early though almost before the marshals!
learnt from this over the next days and went in later/closer to the cars arrival.
I have to say though that the super special was crap. Out in the poxy docks, car park of mud/sludge and marshals from the school of Homer. They refused to let people in before 5.30pm which did not work when everyone charged the marshal and ran into the stands!
What a mess once inside mud, mud glourios mud. I know rallying involves driving fast cars in wet pot holed muddy tracks but not the spectators walking to the stands surely. Enjoyed the cars though!
I met some really nice keen motor fans during the last few days however not the ignorant ***** that stuffed muddy grit into my door handles and in doing so scatching my paintwork, thank you gits.
Old 29 November 2000, 10:57 PM
justapassenger
Scooby Newbie

Wink

I went on Sunday and had a really good time........The only thing I wasn't too impressed with was the lack of space to park for the finish in Cardiff. After legging it back to Cardiff we were given very obscure instructions about the parking facilities. The only other thing that I couldn't quite work out was why the Welsh Rugby International was timed to clash with the rally finish. Bad planning? Anyway, was nice to have a run down the motorway and pass the rally winner in the process......waiting expectantly for next year!
Old 29 November 2000, 11:04 PM
justapassenger
Scooby Newbie

In addition, coz I forgot this! The weather didnt really matter and couldn't be helped anyway.....Enjoyed splashing about it the mud at Margam.....and sharing an umbrella (in fact the umbrella sharing was nearly as good as the mud splashing........)
Old 29 November 2000, 11:53 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Like Silver, this was my first rally so I have nothing to compare it to but I thoroughly enjoyed the four days. Managed to get to all the stages I wanted to without too many problems. Signposting could have been a little better in places and it would have been nice to work out which car parks I actually parked in at times!!
The drive to the Superspecial on Thursday evening was a bit of a nightmare and none of the marshals/police at the entrance to the docks offered any advice so like everyone else I abandoned my scooby at the roadside. Better on Saturday as I got there earlier.
Elsewhere I saw some great action and not even the weather could spoil that.
Highlight of the weekend was the drive back to Cardiff on Friday evening from Builth Wells along the A470. Traffic was moving ok and then Delecour overtook me and pulled in front of me. With traffic coming the other way he couldn't pull out for at least the next two or three miles and I followed him all that way worrying that I might go into the back of him and put him out the rally! Also got overtaken by Panizzi, two of the Seats and Juha.
Will be going again next year.

Mark
Old 30 November 2000, 02:10 AM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

Wink

*super special was anything but - that's all been covered....

*marshals...
needed MORE of them IMHO there were not enough to keep the morons from risking their hides....

*spectating areas
were fairly decent... there were a few crap spots... i just kept hiking until i found something more to my liking...

all in all it was pretty decent...

cold... rainy... but fun...

the finale was the best hehehehe
Old 30 November 2000, 10:20 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

On Sunday evening, I got asked by an elderly lady in Cardiff...

"What was the final score?"

"Richard first, Marcus second" I replied.

The bemused look she gave me was fantastic
Old 30 November 2000, 10:21 AM
Moz
Scooby Regular

I thought it was very good compared to years gone by, the marshalls were a bit too laid back about letting other vehicles into the stage, i think they need to be given more authority to ask people to leave the stage if they think they are endangering safety perhaps backed up by a small police presence.
Not dwarfs.

[This message has been edited by Moz (edited 30 November 2000).]
Old 30 November 2000, 01:00 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ditto to what Justapassenger said. Had a great time on Sunday, no traffic problems except for the police laser on the M4 just outside Margam.

Best bit passing Burnsy on the M4 on the way to Cardiff . . . oh, and sharing an umbrella
Old 01 December 2000, 12:01 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Smile

Had great fun, despite the weather

Found it very amusing to see all the local lads in their trendy Addidas trainers and tracky bottoms looking like drowned rats

We were all wrapped up in at least three layers and fully waterproofed - and needed it standing on top of the hill in Rheola!

Got stuck on the A470 around Ryhader, TWICE! - and after warning everyone to avoid it! - DOH!

Superspecial may be better when it is finished. Lighting was crap, we were next to the car-park where they appeared to have been still working on the banking right up to the stage being opened!

There was less traffic/crowds than previous years, although we got to most stages the night before and roughed it.

Overall impression was good, but it should not be based in Cardiff. York/Harrogate/Leeds or even Carlise/Newcastle would be a much better base for the same type of WRC cloverleaf format event with more varied stages.(Lakes/Kielder/North Yorks loops)
As it is going to be stuck in Cardiff for the next two years then I would have liked to have seen at least one loop of the rally get further north e.g. Dyfi - I think Resolfen/Rheola are great stages but they were done to death. (very serious rutting on the second run through some stages)

6/10 could do better!
Chris